Old 08-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
Brooksie
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
Responses from Australia, Austria, USA, Canada, the internet never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the great links and advice guys.

I took a look at the product Spotless Stainless that DODO mentioned and although expensive I was quite impressed. They made one statement in their Faq section however that seems to be contradictory. QUOTE: If your stainless does not have enough Chromium to provide a protective oxide layer rust may appear quicker. In this case you may need to coat your Stainless after removing the rust and surface iron with Spotless Stainless Rust Remover.

This seems to suggest that if you have an inferior grade of stainless the key to controlling rust is to "prevent" oxygen from reaching it ie: the exact opposite treatment given to a higher grade stainless. Incidentally, this is what I have been doing but it is too early to tell if I'm helping or exacerbating the problem.

BROOKSIE, sounds like advice based on painful experience. As far as the rub rail and strakes are concerned, I am going to replace all the screws but I'm afraid it's great advice a little to late. A few have broke off already!

My next question will be how in hell to remove broken screws from fiberglass.
Heat each screw with a pencil torch or electric soldering iron (not a gun too slow) That will melt the resin and the screw will back right out.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote