Day shapes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
During the day, vessels at anchor shall exhibit forward where best seen, a ball shape.

I am not sure of the regulation but is this something you need onboard?

SD

never see em,

what about the "steaming day cone"?

images

I've both the ball and cone-shaped day shapes on board.

We started using one this past season. If for nothing else for liability.
There are enough knuckle heads out there so why not? We have one of these and they're less than $20.

217559.jpg
PLASTIMO Day Shape-Anchor Ball Folding

I have a ball only but never see them used, do you display your day shapes?

Haven't displayed the cone when motoring with sails up. That's not required since the boat is under 12 meters in length.

Haven't displayed the ball when anchored due to laziness and forgetfulness. Bad dog!

Never seen them used by others either.

Last edited:
We started using one this past season. If for nothing else for liability.
There are enough knuckle heads out there so why not? We have one of these and they're less than $20.

217559.jpg
PLASTIMO Day Shape-Anchor Ball Folding

Exactly...always wondered about the radar reflectors that look exactly the same and if they were ever mistaken for an anchor ball?

Trouble is ....maybe 5 out of a 100 rec boaters know what it is and to look for it.

One can appear to be underway while anchored in a current.

During one sailboat race we noted one boat appeared to be moving ahead. Then realized it was anchored. The winds weren't strong enough for the sails to overcome the current.

We use our "anchor ball" when not in a designated anchorage. I've caught a lot of grief from some through the years. However, like Larry, I'm concerned about the liability in this litigious world we live in. I try to minimize my percentage of blame following a lawsuit.

Last edited:
I agree the ball sure looks like a reflector (radar) so I wonder if you have a RR hanging would some see it as a ball shape, so confusing. :confused:

I think I will continue with the reflector and paint it black. :D

Who wants to buy a ball?

Sure wish you guys were around for cocktail hours!!

:blush:

Somewhere around 20 years ago I was in St.Johns harbour, Antigua when a cruise ship lost steerage and plowed through seven sailboats at anchor. the only one compensated was the one flying a black ball. I have used one ever since.

I believe hanging a basket is also a "legal" black ball. At least, it used to be. I still see shrimpers doing it.

I believe hanging a basket is also a "legal" black ball. At least, it used to be. I still see shrimpers doing it.

Interesting, I always thought the basket meant they were netting (trawling) and they just leave them basket up all the time. Never knew that was to show as an anchor ball.

Inverted basket was for fishing( never for anchoring)...not an authorized day shape...ldeleted in Edition D of the Navrules 1999 (if memory serves me correct)...

Does bother me that so many fishing boats leave their dayshapes up all the time.

The regs I looked at said the ball should be forward.

This would eliminate any confusion with the radar reflectors that are usually placed high and center.

sd

The regs I looked at said the ball should be forward.

This would eliminate any confusion with the radar reflectors that are usually placed high and center.

sd

I have only one mast with a halyard on each side, so no forward, they would be side by side or over/under each other.

over and under will work!:D

I have only one mast with a halyard on each side, so no forward, they would be side by side or over/under each other.

Sorry that is not good enough.:rofl:

You will have to reconfigure your vessel.:):):)

SD

I'd put it on my bow staff.

img_171364_0_ea5c63684210f4908bc46b2c3b072a01.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom