Couple Swamped by wake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMHO - Similar to "Don't take a knife to a gun fight!" And, "Don't get in heavy seas with a house boat!!" If I may add... "Don't go fishing in waters that your little fishing boat can't handle, for any reason, wakes or otherwise. :facepalm:

Of course we should all be courteous to other boaters. I make special efforts to be very courteous to all boaters... but... fishing persons inside inlets (or other well traveled locations) that have a virtual claw foot tub as an intsie wintsie fishing craft are plain - - > In The Wrong! Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention... they’re pretty darn stupid too!! :dance:

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

img_171055_0_f591f187449977f0f1a78aa7a20a10d4.jpg

Mark

For the Delta sloughs and even its open areas that fisher boat is fairly stable and able to handle wakes compared to some of the tiny and often old and usually overloaded 12 to 16 foot aluminum fishers with mom, pop, son, daughter and sometimes an infant in arms aboard an aluminum riveted craft w/ an old beat up outboard and more than often no shade canvas. As I throttle down to no-wake speed and go slowly past these boats I also do not see enough life vests... they sit on flotation cushions – guess that makes them feel secure. These little boats are basically OK in 5 MPH wake protected areas... but should NOT venture beyond those locations, should not be overloaded, and should have ample safety gear aboard for whatever could happen.

:popcorn:

My own personal rule running around the AICW is that houses and fishermen don't get cut too much of a break....they know where they are and while I'm not out to hurt anyone or cause damage to "shipshape" boats and docks....making them uncomfortable isn't a worry I have.

But "off" the AICW, back in the tiny rivers, sloughs, throrofares, creeks, bay and whatnot...that is the domain of kayakers, fishemenr, birdwatchers, and of course tiny boats. back in those waters I tread lightly giving those that want/need to be there as much room, privacy, quiet and non-disruption as possible.

So the way I see it...I'm being both practical and polite. The boats that are not suited to get the "shirt" waked out of them don't belong in the ICW for any activity other than moving along...even then... any vessel operating there out of the no wake zones should be "shipshape" and "seaman-like" prepared to get the "shirt" waked out of them. To expect me or anyone to keep slowing down on the main drag the way I see it are the inconsiderate ones.

When I'm cruising along at 6.3 knots...I'm not slowing down any more...would never get any place. If a boat want's to pass...I tell'em bring it on. If it's a place to give them room so the wake is less...I veer over...if not...I hold on and tell my crew to do the same.

I don't think waking me in that situation is impolite. Now if I can't afford a big wake cause I'm in the bilge changing a filter or something as critical for safety...then I would post a crew out on the deck to flag down passing vessels by sight and radio and ask for a slow pass...then again I would be creeping along so it should work out just fine.

Lived in Lake Forest ( NE Mobile Bay) for 3 years...didn't know the ship channel (where one SHOULD expect wakes) is a no wake zone.

Actually I was at the top of the ship channel in the actual Port Authority Dock area - definitely a no-wake zone. This is where the crippled Carnival Cruise ship was taken. You are right about the ship channel from Dauphin Island up to the Port not having any no-wake zones.

Actually I was at the top of the ship channel in the actual Port Authority Dock area - definitely a no-wake zone. This is where the crippled Carnival Cruise ship was taken. You are right about the ship channel from Dauphin Island up to the Port not having any no-wake zones.

Man, that is one long run from the Gulf...but I can see your point...

My overall point still holds though...LE vessels blow through no wake zones all the time...knuckleheaded boaters blow through no wake zones all the time, wakes from big ships travel miles and rock and roll no wake zones...

Things loose on a boat are just a disaster waiting to happen...as a liveaboard I am guilty as the next guy...so I do understand. But to complain about wakes really never solves the issue...

This is one topic where prevention makes you happy...and usually the finger directed at the careless boater make you feel a little better (maybe)...but other than that....I see no end in sight for being waked sooner or later.

As a fishermen with a 19' Pathfinder I take exception to the presenting of this picture in this context, he has every right to be where he is.

He is fishing an inland shore and is in a craft that I would expect to see in that location. If he is not a hindrance to navigation and is operating within the law and regulation he is owed the same respect as a 50 battle-wagon on the open ocean or a 35+ foot trawler cruising the channel, the same.

I has an old salt instructor one day said to me when I was moaning about the little guys, "remember unless you are very special then you are a little guy to someone and have the same rights as anyone else".

We like it when we get a slow pass, why would a working class guy with his family out for a day of fishing not deserve the same?

Fishing a busy breaking inlet is not smart but it is most of the time it's legal, cause damage or death by your careless (reckless) but legal operation and see how that works out.

As a fishermen with a 19' Pathfinder I take exception to the presenting of this picture in this context, he has every right to be where he is.

He is fishing an inland shore and is in a craft that I would expect to see in that location. If he is not a hindrance to navigation and is operating within the law and regulation he is owed the same respect as a 50 battle-wagon on the open ocean or a 35+ foot trawler cruising the channel, the same.

I has an old salt instructor one day said to me when I was moaning about the little guys, "remember unless you are very special then you are a little guy to someone and have the same rights as anyone else".

We like it when we get a slow pass, why would a working class guy with his family out for a day of fishing not deserve the same?

Fishing a busy breaking inlet is not smart but it is most of the time it's legal, cause damage or death by your careless (reckless) but legal operation and see how that works out.

I kayak, have a dingy and small boat fish too....so I can relate.

No one said the guy wasn't legal.... and hurting him or his property wasn't illegal....

What I am saying and some others might be too is that taking small craft into some (and not the vast majority of) areas and staying to fish or otherwise is not only foolish but rude to other boaters in the big scheme of things...despite their "rights"...

As a fishermen with a 19' Pathfinder I take exception to the presenting of this picture in this context, he has every right to be where he is
+1 :blush:

The photo was posted with no text. Maybe the poster would take exception with you assuming what he was implying with the photo.

Gotta love a "general" topic that gets blasted for specifics then a specific topic that people argue generalities....:eek:

Gotta love being here...I keep saying "more time on projects...more productive":thumb:

The photo was posted with no text. Maybe the poster would take exception with you assuming what he was implying with the photo.

Perhaps he intended to post a picture of the moon.

Not going to play that game, it was clear.

I kayak, have a dingy and small boat fish too....so I can relate.

No one said the guy wasn't legal.... and hurting him or his property wasn't illegal....

What I am saying and some others might be too is that taking small craft into some (and not the vast majority of) areas and staying to fish or otherwise is not only foolish but rude to other boaters in the big scheme of things...despite their "rights"...

Not going to disagree, you have seen your share of foolishness yet you will still go out of your way to help.

You are a professional, as a USCG license holder holder myself I strive to be as professional as I can as well. I respect everyone's right to fun and safety on the water and can remember well the days when I sailed my 8ft pram as proudly and safely as I could at the tender age of 8.

I looked up then as now to age and experience on the water, realizing how lucky we few are to enjoy the quality of our endeavors. I know we here can encourage and lookout for one and other regardless of the size of our boats.

I cringe at the selfish and me first attitude I see today both on the water as well as on the roads (I ride long distance motorcycle challenges...IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders) scary sometimes.

{walks off.......carrying his soapbox, to be put away}:whistling:

Without text it wasn't clear at all. He could have been on either side of the fence.

It was intended for personal/individual interpretation.

I find it somewhat ironic that when I went to this thread this morning, the banner ad at the top was for "wakemakers.com". They apparently sell ballast tanks for your small boat to make bigger wakes for wakeboarding. Not too many hwere looking to make bigger wakes!

I find it somewhat ironic that when I went to this thread this morning, the banner ad at the top was for "wakemakers.com". They apparently sell ballast tanks for your small boat to make bigger wakes for wakeboarding. Not too many hwere looking to make bigger wakes!

had the same chuckle....:thumb:

Yeh, right! I'm sure mark was just pointing out how exceptional the bass fishing is up there and chose the wake thread to express this. This is not meant to denigrate the Coot's captain (who I like) but rather to point out that inferences in the English language are not always spelled out, but they are there!

Don't worry...I understood.

And even mark said it was posted for "It was intended for personal/individual interpretation. ".....

Mark,

Are you really anti-fishing boat, as they're implying? This would be a big surprise to me. But, I've been surprised before.

And for what it's worth, I have a small fishing boat also, and don't get dangerously waked as I stay away from those areas.

Mark,

Are you really anti-fishing boat, as they're implying? This would be a big surprise to me. But, I've been surprised before..

No. See post #9.

Second part? True. "Do unto others.."
The first? The fisherman is owed respect (in terms of not being exposed to avoidable danger by others) whether or not "within the law and regulation". You can`t pretend he is not there because he should not be there, and swamp him.

Last edited:
I am amazed ...this conversation comes up so many times and so many people seem to miss the point.

It's not about it being OK to wake the guy...it's about crowded waterways and little guys insisting in trying to occupy the limited space the bigger guys need to operate and operate as something other than a big trawler. Even if they clearly are not.

The little guys can go any place...the big guys can't...so to me it's as much about respect allowing big guys to run free in very limited waterways and allowing the little guys their space when and where appropriate.

I usually don't see that happening so I have become jaded through the years...little boats have forced me out of the channel and actually refuse to give an inch even when I am towing. Hard to give respect when you don't get any. Often it's a resentful "those rich guys in their big toys" mentality so the war rages on.

I know there are plenty of big boat knuckleheads and jerks too...but the vast majority (just sheer numbers) are little boaters without a clue to the bigger picture. Fortunately once explained to them...they tend to get it and are much better "boating buddies" than before.

OK - So now let's get to the crux of the situation... irrespective of comfort or discomfort from any size boat being waked by any other sized boat! :popcorn:

Who here has the contact point (USCG maybe?) to find how many persons were injured or died in a boat of which they were aboard due to wake effect in each of the last few years? :confused:

The rest of what's being discussed here is boating semantics, on several levels. On the water wakes happen - Period! :speed boat:

Back
Top Bottom