Anchor Lights and LED Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think the bulb you link to will cut it for a anchor light where you need 2nm visibility. That bulb is the kind for interior lights which you can get for closer to $16 if you google it.

I replaced the bulb in our Aqua Signal anchor light last year with this from WM. It seems like a lot of $ but we anchor out a lot and I want to save the amp hours overnight and not worry about it burning out.

You decide if it's worth it to you.

Been looking at the same replacement bulb. My only concern is that my anchor light collects condensation internally from the daily heating and cooling of the sun. I'm worried that the circuitry may not tolerate the condensation.

Ted

Several years ago I changed to the Davis Mega Masthead Light shown below.

20479.jpg

I changed out the original bulb to the $10 Marinebeam LED replacement bulb. At the bottom of their page is a comparison photo done by a friend of mine. I can vouch for the difference. At 0.041A and photocell operated so it turn on at dusk and off at dawn, it was a great improvement. I turn the anchor light on when I leave for the anchorage and turn it off on the way home. It turns itself on and off as needed.

If you have energy consumption issues, probably so, as every little bit of savings adds up.

I like the lights but the issue would be COLREG compliance. They say that these lights seem to meet the colreg vis compliance, but stop short of saying/proving compliance. When I set up my assistance towing boats in the mid 80's, the coast guard had to inspect them for referral work. The issue of running lights (towing, side, bow and stern) all had to have certification certificates to prove compliance. It was explained to me that the CG had no way to check lumens etc, so the light manufacturer had to test their products and certify themselves. All the popular brands have certificate of colreg compliance enclosed in the packaging. Without these, your Vsl can be deemed "unseaworthy". In these days of nuisance litigation, I would rather not find out the hard way, that my lights don't comply.

You can buy fixtures (with bulbs) that comply. However, the LED replacement bulbs themselves are not certified (even though they may meet the requirements) and the honest LED websites state this, and go on to basically say use at you own risk. marinebeam.com has good LED info.

Last edited:
Listen to Capt. Jack (Sailor of Fortune). I buy many bulbs from superbrite. That particular bulb is not certified for 2 mile visibility.

I have an LED anchor bulb from doctorled.com. I is supposedly certified for 2 mile visibility in an AquaSignal series 40 anchor light. Get a certified bulb for your fixture, or change the fixture. Just my HO.

Dr. LED Marine Lighting

Thanks guys.

COLREG's compliance was perhaps how I should have framed my question. Running lights saving draw is obviously a non issue as your under power while they're operating. If I can not find a compliant LED for my anchor light, a compliant one will be picked up at WM on my return trip Wednesday.

I'm not interested in changing fixtures as I wish to maintain the period correct look of the old girl.

Remember that an incandescent bulb has a single filament that's carefully centered at the focal point of the lens. Replacing it with a similar-sized (or larger) LED with small points of lights arranged around the outside of the "bulb" doesn't result in the same range and characteristics, so it's probably not legal.

Plus, often it's not the bulb that's the problem, but corrosion on the contacts. So even if the bulb doesn't need to be replaced, you may have to access it to clean the contacts. An LED "bulb" doesn't fix that problem.

For an anchor light, I'd say a new LED fixture would be the way to go. Never have to change it, never worry about corrosion, low current draw and it'll be USCG certified legal.

My problem is I haven't found the one I need in LED:
pko1196dp2chr.jpg

It's got to go on top of the mast, so it has to have the shortest possible height, and work as either an all-around (anchor) light or (forward only) masthead light.

I have an LED anchor bulb from doctorled.com. I is supposedly certified for 2 mile visibility in an AquaSignal series 40 anchor light. Get a certified bulb for your fixture, or change the fixture. Just my HO.

Dr. LED Marine Lighting

Just to clarify Don. The LED sold by this vendor is only "certified compliant" if it is installed in the above specified anchor light fixture?

I ask because the one advertised with the integrated reflector housing looks to be a perfect fit for my housing. I however am not interested if it is not compliant in my stock fixture housing as night time vessel traffic is not something I take cavalierly.

Just to clarify Don. The LED sold by this vendor is only "certified compliant" if it is installed in the above specified anchor light fixture?

I ask because the one advertised with the integrated reflector housing looks to be a perfect fit for my housing. I however am not interested if it is not compliant in my stock fixture housing as night time vessel traffic is not something I take cavalierly.

Craig, I would download their brochure to see exactly what fixture that have tested compliant. Believe me that lawyers will leave no stone unturned to get out out liability for an accident.

Here is what I'am using, doesn't have the look of typical marine fixture but will never have to replace anything. Mine is the owl, it's potted so moisture isn't a problem.
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/

Installed LED bulb in my old Perko anchor light years ago and love it. No worries if I am "detained" onshore for a couple of days. Somewhat distinctive blue/white color helps me find my boat in large anchorages, shockproof, longlived.

I am using the Owl from Bebi Electronics as well. It is by far the brightest light in any anchorage, so I feel safe. You can hit it with hammer, put it underwater for days, and it will continue to work faithfully. In addition, it has a photocell that turns it on at dusk and off at dawn (in case you forget), so it minimizes the already meager LCD lighting current draw. I highly recommend it.

I looked at the Bibi web site. It looks like their "Fa'apega" is the combination anchor/steaming light I'd need. I even like the homespun look of a PVC pipe cap with LEDs stuck in it.

Thanks for the tip!

Craig, I replaced my 25w bulb anchor light with an LED tower 2 years ago. From memory it was a little taller than the one you are considering, is seriously bright, and draws little.
The main chandlery chain here advertises LED nav light/mast head replacement bulbs for $24.90-34.95 as "..not for use on commercial vessels...".
Another is described as "50 Super Bright LED Replacement Bulb" for replacing 25w bulbs and using 3.5w,still with commercial use restriction, cost $59.95 in white.
Of course, the real value of an LED is battery not used, and they should greatly outlast an incandescent.

Last edited:
I just replaced mine last year. I used the 12" fold down model and the dang thing is crazy bright! Love it.

Hella White All-Round Anchor Lights

Yeah, but... I need the combination fwd masthead and anchor (2 section) light, not just an anchor light. :(

Of course, the real value of an LED is battery not used, and they should greatly outlast an incandescent.

True, but another real value is never having to change bulbs, or scrape corrosion off the contacts. Especially at the top of the mast!

This has been an interesting quest for me. Captain Jack(SoF) gave me sound advice in post #7. I began researching the subject of navigation light compliance at the USCG website and that led me to this publication.

http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/CG-840 t boat 4 11.pdf

Page 15 section 5.2 referred me to UL 1104 and 33 CFR 84 and 46 CFR 183.420.

Then I found this little nugget in 46 CFR 183.420 that states "All vessels must have navigation lights that are in compliance with the applicable sections of the International and Inland Navigation Rules, except that a vessel of more than 19.8 meters (65 feet) in length must also have navigation lights that meet UL 1104, ?Standards for Marine Navigation Lights,? or other standard specified by the Commandant."

So it appears that from a legal standpoint in the USA I am no closer to the actual answer except to assume there is no actual quoted standard for our small boats beyond actually displaying the prescribed lights in functional order to the satisfaction of the Commandant. What am I missing here gang???

As long as your lights meet the visibility (range), sector , color and placement...you are good to go..they can be candles....

Builders have to have theirs "certified".

My boat stands out in an anchorage with its crazy bright white light. :eek::socool: Maybe we can have an anchor light comparison next week in Angel Island with Giggitoni and markpierce. I've got an IPA beer up for grabs to the brightest anchor light. Any takers? ;)

I've got an IPA beer up for grabs to the brightest anchor light. Any takers?

The problem is with the brightest light in the world , if its not USCG or some other regulating body approved it does not exist.

The units are tested with factory parts , not with what you buy someplace.

YES, the law is an ass , but its the law.

A harder concept for intl. cruisers is USCG approval ( grandfathering) stops when out of US waters.

Use the good stuff .

In special anchorages where no light is required , some folks will use 1/2 dozen foot walk solar lamps spaced around the hull to warn early departing folks .

Last edited:
I've got an IPA beer up for grabs to the brightest anchor light. Any takers?

The problem is with the brightest light in the world , if its not USCG or some other regulating body approved it does not exist.

The units are tested with factory parts , not with what you buy someplace.

YES, the law is an ass , but its the law.

A harder concept for intl. cruisers is USCG approval ( grandfathering) stops when out of US waters.

Use the good stuff .

In special anchorages where no light is required , some folks will use 1/2 dozen foot walk solar lamps spaced around the hull to warn early departing folks .

I switched both of my last boats ( Volunteer and the Sea Ray ) to non USCG approved LED's, they were brighter and could be seen considerably further than the incandescent bulbs they replaced, I plan to do the same on my Ocean Alexander soon.

Personally I will take the risk that if it ever came to a fight in court because some dumb ass ran into me in a anchorage...it would be found it was caused from my light being so bright he could not see me.

The Coasties are not going to take the time to shimmy up the mast to check to see if my light has their stamp either.
HOLLYWOOD

The Coasties are not going to take the time to do that, but insurance lawyers will. They will hire experts to check every detail. They will go to almost any links to keep from accepting liability for an accident. Unfortunately, many cases are decided on contributory negligence and shared liability. I have testified as an expert witness on both sides of construction law suits. You would be amazed at the details that lawyers will get into.

Only manufacturer's are required to use USCG certified light fixture...owner replacements can be oil lamps if you like....

If they meet the COLREG requirements...USCG cert isn't important for non-inspected vessels.

At least that's the way I understand the regs and it was that way till a few months back the last time we had the discussion on certified lights.

So I had pretty much decided to go with the USCG compliant:

Dr Led GE90 Star anchor light Led

E-mailed the company as the base I needed wasn't listed on the online order site. The very quick response was, "We will have a new product out in a few weeks that replaces the one you are inquiring about".

Would be really nice to have a 3 mile rated bulb! Probably wishful thinking. :( Stay tuned........

Ted

Apparently, Oz recognises US coast Guard approvals, at least for navigation lights anyway, would think NZ would as well.

Over here we have also been warned that replacing incandescent rated units with LED's voids the certification, irrespective of the light output.

However, like a lot of forum members, I have a boat built in the heady days of the 80's from an Asian ship yard,in my case Hong Kong.I would bet that none of my navigational lights ever passed through any type of certification process, other than they were ordered from the the electrician's wife's third cousin who had a factory in Shanghai making lamps.

So in this case what is the problem of replacing the bulbs with LED's, as the original lights were probably never certified to begin with.

If you are using a certified replacement light, that seems to me a different matter.

FWIW for the Oz contingent here there is an interesting article on this in this months 'Afloat' magazine, great little freebie magazine on nautical matters.

Again...as long as you meet the COLREGs...as an owner/operator you DO NOT have to meet USCG certification.

New Boatbuilders Home Page - Navigation Lights

Clarification: The navigation rules on positioning of lights apply to anyone who installs lights whether it be the builder or the owner/operator. The rule requires they be installed correctly. The rules for certification of lights apply only to manufacturers, dealers and distributors.

Back
Top Bottom