Magnetic Fuel Conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefdrifter

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Reef Drifter
Vessel Make
1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader
I saw this magnetic fuel conditioner device at the Fort Myers boat show a few weeks ago.* Go to www.fueltecind.com to see the device.* Do any of you guys use this to help keep your fuel clean?* It seems like it would be a good thing to have in your system.*

Reefdrifter,
GARBAGE!!!!!! Save your money for other stuff that works! These "magic" devices have been around since Christ was an alter boy. Can't remember the name of the unit now, but there is some company that has POWERFUL magnets to kill bacteria-GARBAGE!* I seem to remember another company claiming that THEIR magnets "align the fuel molecules" for better combustion-YA RIGHT!!!!!

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Thursday 3rd of December 2009 08:58:58 AM

magnets work on metal. If your fuel comes out of the tank with lots of metal bits, you will need more than a magnet. Even the displays at boat shows for these things are smoke and mirror. My offers stands to any member of the board, if you will send me half the money these systems cost I will send you my version of the product that I guarantee will work just as well. But so far no one has taken me up on it. Chuck

Mine came with one of those Algae-X things in-line. Should I remove it? I mean, does it do NOTHING? Is there zero benefit to keeping it or is there any detriment to leaving it?

It will only hurt if* you've used it in place of a good fuel filtration system.

GonzoF1 wrote:

Mine came with one of those Algae-X things in-line. Should I remove it? I mean, does it do NOTHING? Is there zero benefit to keeping it or is there any detriment to leaving it?
Whether you remove it or not is your decision but it is not really doing anything for you. On the other hand, as long as it is working and not interfering with your fuel supply, it is not doing any harm. Chuck

Hiya,
** Gonzo.* I went onto the AlgaeX site and SOME of their units DO filter and separate water but if you only have the magic magnet,*it's not doing anything.* Leave or remove as C. Chuck suggests.

Mr. Gonzo,
** If it's a magnetic device ONLY, I very much doubt it's doing anything.* But as I said, some of the AlgaeX units do have a filter component and in that case there may be SOME benifit.
** I've heard some radio broadcasts selling magnetic devices (for health reasons) and one of the things I heard gave me quite a laugh.* If you purchased one of their "special" magnets, you could make your own magnetic water which was able to cure all kinds of illness, cancer included.

These magnetic devices like the Algae-X, which are also marketed for vehicles, do exactly what they are intended to do--- enrich the manufacturer and supplier. The one positive thing that can be said about them from a user point of view is that they won't hurt anything.

If magnetic fields were actually effective in preventing algae or dirt buildup in fuel, improving efficiency, reducing smoke, etc, then every engine manufacturer would be recommending them and they would be installed on every vehicle, boat, and airplane on the planet. After all, it's in the engine manufacturers' interest to reduce warranty claims and be able to boast about operating and efficiency benefits. So far as I'm aware, not one of the major manufacturers--- Cat, John Deere, Cummins, Lugger, Volvo, etc., let alone the Fords, BMWs Toyotas, Rolls Royces and General Electrics of the world--- endorse or use this so-called filtration system.

Independent tests for decades--- these things have been around that long--- have shown that these magnetic filtration systems do absolutely nothing to fuel. If they incorporate a conventional filtration system as well as the magnets, there may be some benefit from the conventional filter. But the magnetic aspect of the devices has no effect--- good or bad--- whatsoever.

And from the UK - its bunkum. Snake oil as a descriptive is being too polite. As a reference to snakle oil, it's being unfair to snake oil.

Too many users had their money burnt.

If magnetic fields were actually effective in preventing algae or dirt buildup in fuel, improving efficiency, reducing smoke, etc, then every engine manufacturer would be recommending them and they would be installed on every vehicle, boat, and airplane on the planet. After all, it's in the engine manufacturers' interest to reduce warranty claims and be able to boast about operating and efficiency benefits. So far as I'm aware, not one of the major manufacturers--- Cat, John Deere, Cummins, Lugger, Volvo, etc., let alone the Fords, BMWs Toyotas, Rolls Royces and General Electrics of the world--- endorse or use this so-called filtration system.

This is true enough , BUT the effects of using synthetic oil and a bypass filtration system for lube oil are well known .

Yet most mfg don't bother with the setup, as 100,000 miles between changes and OIL SAMPLING at a lab scares them.

FF wrote:

This is true enough , BUT the effects of using synthetic oil and a bypass filtration system for lube oil are well known .

Yet most mfg don't bother with the setup, as 100,000 miles between changes and OIL SAMPLING at a lab scares them.
Sometimes I just don't understand where your information comes from. Please provide us with the manufacturer that makes an engine lubricant that will allow us 100,000 miles without an oil change. Every engine manufacturer that I have dealt with, and that is most, highly recommend an oil analysis when the engine is new as a baseline and regular analysis on a schedule there after. Chuck

http://www.ops-1.com/

This is a link to just ONE of the companies that makes the filters for heavy trucks.

125,000 miles between synthetic lube oil changes is becoming more common as the goal.

There are two "tricks", when the filter is changes some new oil is added , as well as during normal use where oil is refilled as it is consumed.

The second "trick" is quality oil testing with a good lab

Its been 20 years or more that synthetics are changed by lab results ,for trucks , rather than mere time in the engine.

Pleasure boaters don't do enough hours per year , to amortize an expensive filter and $40 a gallon oil.

The poorer ability to control rust in storage of synthetics doesn't matter to 200,000 mile a year trucks. The extra 1.5% fuel mileage does count , along with the lower costs of lubricants.

http://www.cdlofit.com/

Is a site for truckers , and in the larger sized boats , this is where your CAT, Cummins, DD or
Iveco came from.

The problems and cures for better mileage will work as well in a boat as in a heavy truck.

NO, "saving" 4 or 5 quarts in the family grocery getter would hardly pay , so CAR mfg don't use any of this tech.

And GOD FORBID if this tech was attempted in cars , folks would attempt to go the miles on mineral oil ,no filter , no lab testing,, and only the liars for hire would have fun.

ALL the oil mfg will claim there synthetic is fine for the long term , but Shell, and the other big names are preferred.

FF

-- Edited by FF on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 12:02:19 PM

The link you provided is nothing more than an external oil filter with claims from the manufacturer and not much in the way of new news. Not sure how we got from magnetic fuel filters to here. Chuck

Chuck, you just don't understand. You can save $23 per year in oil changes by buying an external filter and installing it ( for $300) under the hood of your*car that has a required 7500 miles between changes! And void the warranty while you're at it.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 12:46:27 PM

AHHH, Now I see, I think.....or maybe not.....or maybe. And then, and then, I could add a magnet fuel bug catcher and never maintain anything. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Wednesday 9th of December 2009 02:13:13 PM

"The link you provided is nothing more than an external oil filter with claims from the manufacturer and not much in the way of new news."

Hard to have "NEW NEWS" on systems that are decades old.

Bypass filtration has been around since my Porsche days in the 60's, but then synthetic oil and monitoring was not common.

Interestingly , by pass filtration "color filtration" was the practice on my WWII DD 6-71 built long ago.

"Not sure how we got from magnetic fuel filters to here"

Between storm counts , think back, the comment was made that if magnetic thingybobs worked it would be on most engines today.

I simply pointed out that there ARE advances ,( But not for cars) that do exist , do work, but require more informed customers than most engine mfg can count on.

Even many boaters don't know the concept or advantages of extended oil changes , yet Gulf Coast has been advertising for a decade + in boating publications.

www.gulfcoastfilters.com/

FF

FF

Lets cut to the chase. For the 150 hour or so per year boater, what are the advantages of extended oil change intervals. And please, something other than save money.

What I have never figured out with the so called "magnetic fuel filters" was where the materiel that was "caught and/or filtered out" went - on any of these devices that I have seen there was no "clean out".
But then I suppose that as marvelous as these magnetic devices are they also dispose of the waste materiel magnetically
Give me an old fashioned medial filter any time - at least you can see the dirt and crud on the element when you take it out.
Just one more crazy Canuck's ideas
John Tones "Penta"
Sidney, BC

"For the 150 hour or so per year boater, what are the advantages of extended oil change intervals."

ZERO

But this IS the "trawler forum " so perhaps one in 500 will someday* be able to use the information.

Those aground in their own coffee grounds can pit it on the "Must Have" list as another* reason to remain at the power pole.

<cite>www.luberfiner.com/ </cite>is another company that sells equippment for traveling with cleaner oil.

FF

When I worked rebuilding big diesel generators several decades ago the salesman lined up to sell bypass filters. They work very well (the filters not the salesman) and do clean a lot of the finer particles the direct flow filters can not. However after installing bypass filters we never altered or extended the interval for changing oil and full flow filter. The cost of changing oil and filter was and still is insignificant compared to braking down due to sizing a bush due to poor lubrication.

In a pleasure boat, I wouldn't mind installing one of them if there is time/ room and money but not with the aim of saving money on oil, but in order to keep the insides of the engine and the oil as clean as the first day. That is a good result, and change the oil as you would normally.

As per the magnets...well you*said it all. It is a scam like all the other magnets scam.
However ...

http://www.peloop.com/
There is a magnet that you can apply to your thingy and it will make it grow bigger.
Now there is imagination for you. Someone must be buying those too.

Now if it makes the thingy grow...would it also make the fuel level rise? Now that is a claim worth mentioning!

-- Edited by Marc1 on Sunday 13th of December 2009 12:11:07 AM

I have a personal experience that show's the magnets DO work. A few years back I was running a totally rebuilt LCM 8 landing craft. The boat had suffered a fire and was rebuilt from the water line up. The owner installed the magic magnets because he said the salesman at the boat show insisted they did great things. One day while motoring along the engine began loosing power just like it would with a clogged filter, so naturally I changed the filters out, but still couldn't get them to run. It turns out that the magnets had grabbed some rusty debris and now the unit was totally clogged. It took a while to figure out, but only a few minutes to take apart and clean. I wanted to throw the whole thing overboard, but the owner spent a lot of money on them and wouldn't allow me. Changing the filter when this stuff comes down the line is far faster and safer than cleaning out the magic fuel conditioner. For me it was a safety issue. So, they did something, but it wasn't good, and they could have put me on the beach (not always a good thing, even in a landing craft) ..........Arctic Traveller

Trawler training and charters at www.arctictraveller.com

Back
Top Bottom