Danger -- do not operate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
img_169355_0_871dd216de27c44ca0be160f1dab7d49.jpg

My Coot is at the KKMI boatyard in Richmond, CA (authorized John Deere engine servicer) for it's 250-hour, 24-month engine service. Includes valve adjustment and so on.

Visited the boat today (Sunday) and the maintenance/service is still in-progress.

img_169355_1_d3e0a68ae6ca4deb4277e9ca6ad3e627.jpg

The haul-out showed the bottom paint and zincs are good for another year.:dance:

Meanwhile, also having maintenance done to the outside paint.

img_169355_2_c047be3ec027a87cf675315975eca315.jpg

The boat is considered a "yacht" by some because maintenance is mostly done professionally.

Then I guess my IG is a 'Boacht'

I was wondering how the haul out was coming, Mark. Good to hear your bottom is in good health. I hope Perla's Deck Dancing didn't cause all that damage above the waterline. Oh heck...even if it did, it would be worth it!!

Your shifter tag reminds me of my own "Remove Before Flight" banners I place on the start keys to prevent inadvertent start when conducting maintenance or the thru-hulls are closed.

I needed one of those tags after my docking debacle this weekend! :eek:

What a beautiful, well-maintained trawler!

Al, any dancing will now be confined to the docks! ;)

img_169378_0_40588d40e51098cb0159a5b33788fe98.jpg

Al and Vashon, I need to see if the boatyard can provide such a tag for my own use.

That picture cracks me up! Here's the lovely Perla working the lines like a pro...giving it her all to protect the hull of this mighty vessel...and where's the Capt? He's standing in the starboard door taking pictures! :whistling::facepalm: :rofl:

I love it! She's a gem! ;)

... Here's the lovely Perla working the lines like a pro...giving it her all to protect the hull of this mighty vessel...and where's the Capt? He's standing in the starboard door taking pictures!. ...

What a team!

At Santa Fe Channel (Pt. Richmond) today:

img_169388_0_43062c73724aac176d1f6907abc25b72.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks, Craig!

That picture cracks me up! Here's the lovely Perla working the lines like a pro...giving it her all to protect the hull of this mighty vessel...and where's the Capt? He's standing in the starboard door taking pictures! :whistling::facepalm: :rofl:

I love it! She's a gem! ;)

That could come under the heading of "saving wear and tear on you bow thruster" at the expense of . . . . . . . . Well, you know.:D

Do you know what "standing IN the bight of a line" means?

I am very surprised that no one else has pointed out that the photograph illustrates the most common danger in line handling.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Bights of line [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]When a length of rope is folded or bent, the 'bend' is called the bight of line.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]A fairlead is a fitting used to redirect a line slightly. It is designed to minimise damage caused by friction (see Figure 10 for examples of fairleads, listed as 'chocks').
image004.jpg
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Imagine the following scene. It's a very real situation.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]A berthing line is lying in a bight on deck. One end of the line is on the bollard ashore and the inboard end is made fast (on the winch or capstan). Strain is put on the line, so the bight pulls tight. A deckhand happens to have their foot in the bight. The rope pulls tight around their foot. The line happens to run out through a fairlead and the deckhand is taken out with the line.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]The message is: never stand in a bight of line no matter how harmless it may look![/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick thank you for that illustration. I'm not sure that applies in Perla's case as she does not have the bight attached to a cleat or anything that could create tension as in your illustration? Please let me know if I am misunderstanding the danger as this is quite a serious matter! So many of us have learned by doing, or from people that have learned by doing, and so don't know things that are common sense to professionals.

I'm not sure that applies in Perla's case as she does not have the bight attached to a cleat or anything that could create tension as in your illustration?

It doesn't require a great deal of tension to create a hazard. The illustration shows an example that is very common and quite often leads to fatalities or serious injury.

Being in any position where a line might run and (in this case) pull the loose line across or under the line handler creates the risk of being knocked over or caught in a loop as the line runs. If she were standing so that all the line was between her and the source of tension it would be different, the worst that could happen is the line would be pulled from her hands.

She is shown standing in the bight, the curve formed by a slack line. It doesn't matter that it is not made fast at the loose end yet. What matter is she is standing in the bight, she is in the path the line may take if it runs.

As it is in the photo, the line could be pulled around her ankle and drag her over the side or, at the very least, knock her down. Like many other operations on a boat of any size, there is often more to it than meets the eye of the inexperienced.

What prevents line handling injuries is planning, training and teamwork. Line handling safety procedures include:
• Preplanning each operation
• Training crew members to not stand in the bight of a line or outboard of a line
• Training crew members not to straddle ropes or lines
• Training crew members not to stand on lines
• Training crew members not to stop a running line by putting a foot on it
• Training crew members to never stand at the point where a line can change direction

Last edited by a moderator:
I will spare the details but have to say I saw a man killed standing in the bight of a wire line from a tug attached to a submarine. Never, ever, no matter what stand in the bight. Many good safety tips above, I don't remember if it was in them but never hold a line near a cleat, capstan or a bollard with fingers curled between the line and the

Premature send - needless to say cup your fingers to hold the line when they can get caught between the line and cleat or whatever.

... needless to say cup your fingers to hold the line when they can get caught between the line and cleat or whatever.

And when using small diameter synthetic lines, consider the results of a ring, bracelet, or watchband catching on the line or a splice.

Google "gloving injury" and "line handling injuries" if you want some nasty examples of what can happen when even professional mariners get a bit careless or overconfident. And they know full well what the risks are.

Besides the bight issue, I would suggest that Perla take a turn around the cleat just aft of her left boat shoe. Trying to hold anything with the displacement of your Coot by hand is an invitation to rope burns. Also it's really amazing how easy it is to hold a load with just a half turn around the cleat if the horns are used properly.

The boat is at rest. Perla is merely centering the bow in the berth.

That is a tight engine room. You have gained a step & lost a gap between bulkhead & John Deere belt guard. By the looks of the pic Mark.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Harvest,

Do you have the Iveco-powered version of the Coot?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom