Extending Radar Harness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Underway

Guru
My Furuno radar is currently mounted directly on the arch. The bimini, which was apparently added later, partially blocks the forward "view". I want to raise the radar about 10 inches on one of those extention "masts sold on e-bay, but expect that the wiring harness will be too short. Is there anything unique about radar wiring that would preclude lengthening the harness with a good splice? Thanks

Having just wired up my radar I would guess you can. I would use a high quality buss to make the connections to add on the required amount of cable.

reyes...maybe...

Older RADARs need certain lengths of cable to give the proper resistance.....the maybe is there is some flexibility...contact FURUNO and they can tell you specifically for your model what is allowable...you can buy extensions or do it yourself if you have the correct info.

Maybe this is too obvious, but look closely, there may be a couple of extra loops somewhere. Usually the cables are sold in stock lengths, so whatever you buy is a little (or sometimes a lot) too long and you have to hide the excess somewhere.

I've spliced the "old style" (circa 2003) radar data cables, and it's not trivial. There are many different sizes and types of wires in there, some shielded, some twisted, etc. Mine worked because it was a straight cut and splice, but I never liked it.

Thanks all. Just getting started on this. Actually had not thought about excess in existing cable run. Will check for that first and then contact Furuno if I don't find any. Good advice.

What part of the bimini is blocking the forward view of the radar? Is there a defined blind spot on the display corresponding to the bimini location?

The aft edge of the bimini is snapped to the forward edge of the arch and then bulges upward (higher than the top of the radar "dome") for the full width of the flybridge. No, there isn't a noticeable blind spot on the display, and I'm surmising that there must be some level of signal degradation...but maybe it's not that big of an issue???

Canvas is radar- transparent, so you should have no problems. That's my opinion, at least....

If it bulges upward then chances are it's not just canvas, there is some SS tubing supporting it. If it was to the sides or back I don't think I would worry about it but getting the max signal out toward the front would be important.

Bob

I'd go and test the radar to see if there is a blind spot before I'd cut the cable....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom