36 MKII swimstep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

On The Rocks

Vessel Name
On The Rocks
Vessel Make
Gulf Star MKII
I have had two different boat yards tell me the transom on my boat is too thin to support a swimstep yet I see many Gulf Star 36s with swimsteps? Is the transome re-enforced?

Mine has a swim platform with three supports, each with four bolts going through the transom. Inside each are reinforced with a large fiberglass panel about a 1/8 inch thick. Flat washer, lock washer, and nut finish the deal. The panels are about 8 x 16 inches or so. Can't see if they are glassed to the transom or not. No sign of stress cracks from inside.

Here is what the backing looks like on one of the mounts. I see no issues after 38 years.

Attachments

• DSCN1645.1.jpg
    DSCN1645.1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 138
If you're still nervous "hang" the swim step from above w SS struts. Much less stress at the attach points and the outside hardware is well above the sea water. The bottom of the struts could attach to the outboard edge of the step or in the middle.

If your step was strong enough struts to the ends of the step should be good enough or if you like a third in the middle. The outside of the transom close to the sides of the hull should be much stronger than in-between. Check for locations of reenforcement on the transom inside the boat.

One could make struts that had quick disconnect capability and engineer a step that folded up.

Just some thoughts. I've seen a few swim steps supported from above.

.... and engineer a step that folded up.

Just some thoughts. I've seen a few swim steps supported from above.

Markpierce has a folding swim step on the Coot. Search his name with swim step as a keyword and I'm sure you will see a few pictures.

Speak'in of Mark where's he been?

OTDE only?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom