Follow me, Left marathon for Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Move canceled. Chickamuaga dam closed til Thursday.

You should go up and spend a few nights at the Marinemax docks right in downtown Chattanooga. Great city and the docks are two blocks from downtown. They have free busses that you can get anywhere. Chat is only about seven miles from the lock. It was open this weekend, they may be doing repairs or letting water out still.

I'm only paying $25 a nite here and marine max wants $53. So ill stay there one night but ill leave here tommorrow

Move canceled. Chickamuaga dam closed til Thursday.

David, when you get to Chickamauga Dam, stay in the marked channel. On the river side of the lock wall are huge lime stone boulders all in that area. They are put there to keep the fast water from eroding away at the base of the dam. They will play hell on props.

David, when you get to Chickamauga Dam, stay in the marked channel. On the river side of the lock wall are huge lime stone boulders all in that area. They are put there to keep the fast water from eroding away at the base of the dam. They will play hell on props.

Thank you, I really appreciate the local knowledge. Both on the water and the history around it. We can't thank you enough...

Not a good day startin out. About four miles into the trip I smelled something and when I went below there was smoke comin outta the floor. I'm like thinkin the things on fire. When I lifted up the floor I couldn't see a thing and the cabin filled up quick. I couldn't tell if it was just steam or both. I could smell plastic. I called ahead to a house boat I'm following and he turned around and came back. After I shut everything down I got a couple dc fans blowing on the engine along with the blower. I came out and tied up to the house boat We went down and it was steam. After a bit we could see the overflow bottle on the starboard engine was a bit deformed there was antifreeze all over. I feel a little better that there wasn't a fire but... No hoses were busted, checked the strainer an it was clear. So I had them move on and I was going to limp back to the marina on one. It was really hot down there. But after a couple miles I decided to drop the hook and check the impeller. It was a little warm but I got it opened up and sure enough it was in pieces. Again I was a little relieved to find the problem and know its an easy fix but....is there any damage...got it changed but in 1.5 gal of 50/50 antifreeze, which I will never buy again. The full strength stuff is about the same and takes a little less space. I keep distiller water for batteries so I put 2 gal of that in two. There wasn't any in there when I started cause empty it takes 4 gal.

Fired up and within a little bit I had water in the exhaust. I'm under way again. Then I hit a floating tree while I was below checking the engine fore leaks after running a bit. Made a scary noise but I think I'm fine. There's no vibration. So I'm on my way again. Wow what a scare. I thought it was a fire. I got the engines shut down right away and moved the floor board back slow thinkin flames were gonna blast out.

Very lucky to have caught that before the engine seized.

Now an hour later running 2400 Rpms and things are cool :)

Attachments

• image-4153984571.jpg
    image-4153984571.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1758418669.jpg
    image-1758418669.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 66
Did you get all the pieces of impeller out?

I hope so 6 outta 8 were broke off whole and the rest was pieces. I just changed that thing last November I thought a year was good guess ill have to put it on a 6 month change. I like to get it before it gets me.

I hope so 6 outta 8 were broke off whole and the rest was pieces. I just changed that thing last November I thought a year was good guess ill have to put it on a 6 month change. I like to get it before it gets me.

It's been years since I changed one, do you still put white grease on it?

If so, pop the cover occasionally and put more on it.

Almost to nickajack dam

Attachments

• image-1069031952.jpg
    image-1069031952.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 78
I've always lived on the coast. This seems weird to me for some reason.

Yachting in Tennessee...

Almost to nickajack dam

Looks like the bridge at South Pittsburg. You're getting close. When you get through the lock look for a dock on your port side going upstream. That is Shell Mound park. You should be able to tie there for the night.

BB, do a google search for VOL NAVY.

Dave, still resisting the juvenile urge to engage in an intellectual battle with an unarmed man !

Yachting on the TN River is fun as long as you can outrun the banjo players. ;)
Seriously...the upper TN River is beautiful and the cruising is very very nice.

Shellmound is a great (free) dock to tie off on for a good night just above Nickajack....lots better than Hales Bar but you didn't hear me say that.

Soggy- as you know- 9 out of 10 times when Chickamauga lock is closed, the gorge between downtown chatt and hales bar is usually closed as well. It has been open/close last couple of weeks it seems from the emails I've been getting from Corps of engineers.

David- did you decide on a "home marina" yet?

Last edited:
Yachting on the TN River is fun as long as you can outrun the banjo players. ;)
Seriously...the upper TN River is beautiful and the cruising is very very nice.

Shellmound is a great (free) dock to tie off on for a good night just above Nickajack....lots better than Hales Bar but you didn't hear me say that.

Soggy- as you know- 9 out of 10 times when Chickamauga lock is closed, the gorge between downtown chatt and hales bar is usually closed as well. It has been open/close last couple of weeks it seems from the emails I've been getting from Corps of engineers.

David- did you decide on a "home marina" yet?

I believe ill go to telico marina. I'm anchored tonight just past that dock ya all were talkin about next little cove up.

Dave, still resisting the juvenile urge to engage in an intellectual battle with an unarmed man !

How long is that white sauce good. I might have ta grill some chicken tommorrow

I've always lived on the coast. This seems weird to me for some reason.

Yachting in Tennessee...

This is interesting to say the least. ALso, I've learned about locks. Out here, it's mooring cans or anchoring and flat or big seas.

How long is that white sauce good. I might have ta grill some chicken tommorrow

David, the white sauce went bad when you crossed over to Tennessee. That stuff doesn't work up here.:nonono:

Last edited:
You'll like Tellico.
I've anchored several times in the cove you are at just about shellmound...very nice anchorage. Not much between there and downtown Chatt as far as anchorages go but it is a very nice section of the river that you will enjoy.
I'd say stop by and see me at Island Cove but sounds like you'll be there, or thereabouts, by tomorrow, and I have been out of town for about 3 weeks and not in Chatt tomorrow unfortunately. If you run into any mechanical or other boat issues from here on up the river to Tellico let us know and we can make sure you get the best folks out there to help you.

There sure are slot a broke down boats with orange flags up here

Bed time last knight. Couldn't sleep I spent most of the nite on the bow.

Attachments

• image-51180065.jpg
    image-51180065.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 115
Off an at um. Should be in Chattanooga before long. We will be going threw the gorge or little gran canyon very soon

Attachments

• image-1573569094.jpg
    image-1573569094.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 99
My new best friends and I will be docked at downtown docks in Chattanooga. .75 a ft no electric. $1.25 with electric. We were going to anchor but I guess it worth being able to walk ta town. We tried ta get a deal but that was the best we could do.

Attachments

• image-1007034275.jpg
    image-1007034275.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 101
  • image-3497222552.jpg
    image-3497222552.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1392097111.jpg
    image-1392097111.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom