Luxury Yacht Burns in Roche Harbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capthead

Guru
Vessel Name
Heads Up
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
This yacht burned and a thought came to mind. If it would have been made of wood, the fire would have been confined to the engine room and put out. Since it is a glass boat, it almost burned to the waterline.

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• Roche_ss10_1.jpg
    Roche_ss10_1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 100
  • Roche_ss13.jpg
    Roche_ss13.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 97
Nope

Fire on board, all bets off. This is Iron Wind. A restored and converted ex sein boat. Wood hull aluminium house. Burned for about 12 hours June 2012.

Water water every where but non available early enough to puyt down the fire. These pics are taken after she had been moved from her dockside location too the flats. Where when all was said a done she was shoveled up and barged away.

The aluminium house was melted into the hull that was burned through.

Attachments

• spring 2012 059.jpg
    spring 2012 059.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 100
  • spring 2012 063.jpg
    spring 2012 063.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 91
  • spring 2012 069.jpg
    spring 2012 069.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 87
  • spring 2012 103.jpg
    spring 2012 103.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
This yacht burned and a thought came to mind. If it would have been made of wood, the fire would have been confined to the engine room and put out. Since it is a glass boat, it almost burned to the waterline.

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that it's not the best way of advertising a new boat for sale.
See... 2014 Ocean Alexander Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
More at Fire destroys $4.5 million yacht in Roche Harbor | Q13 FOX News
and at http://www.komonews.com/news/local/85-foot-yacht-burning-at-Roche-Harbor-214945771.html

Hate to see any boat go up like that.

Last edited:
Tonic-I saw that boat going through the Locks about a week or 10 days back. I remember wondering where they were taking a brand new boat, had no name on the stern just said "Ocean Alexander". Hope the dealer has good insurance.

That is sad. I hate to see any boat burn up. I bet the cause was electrical and it was either wired wrong or someone left something on that overheated. Just a guess.

Last edited:
Very good question, Don. It was a brand new boat. I would guess one that was ordered and then cancelled as I don't think many dealers will take an 85' OA into inventory on spec. When it went through the locks, from what I could see, it did not even have a full electronics package installed. Maybe they took it up to Roche either to show it or to drum up some interest. Got to be expensive for the dealer to keep that boat in inventory under his floor plan financing!

There was a boat show at Roche several weeks ago. Almost all were new, or almost new, OA's. The smallest, if I remember correctly, was a 72'. There was definitely a new 85'. Was it the same one? I don't know for sure, but it would be odd, I think, to have two new 85's in the PNW at the same time.

Lots of money at Roche.

Back
Top Bottom