Si-Tex Radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Northern Lights II
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3870
Got everything mounted & cables routed & took it out on the river yesterday. Hadn't made any adjustments to any of the settings & was picking up channel markers 1/2 mile out. It is a Si-Tex colormax wide display & a MDS-10-5 antenna both bought used. I was originally going to use my Standard Horizon cp300i display but had a problem getting it to recognize the radar, the Si-Tex display came up for sale on THT forum so I decided to go with 2 displays, 1 dedicated to radar. With more practice during daylight hours & some fine tuning I think it'll be a great addition for safe cruising on the rivers.

image-315889076.jpg

Channel markers ahead & pontoon boat behind me.

Was out last weekend & using the radar again, a question for those that use radar on a river what range do you use & how do you decide? Thank you

I use it in the intracoastal all the time with my 20 knot assistance towing vessel. I use 1/4 and 1/2 mile quite a bit as it shows out to 2 daymarks and keeps me oriented with the channel. Going slower with a chartplotter I would keep it on a 1/4 mile much of the time. For me...if someone is going fast....and directly for me...not much I can do as I know most of the boaters don't listen to or couldn't hear their radios or my horn if I wanted them to.

...not much I can do as I know most of the boaters don't listen to or couldn't hear their radios or my horn if I wanted them to.

Yeah but speak and bleat anyway ... at least you'll have more witnesses and can testify that you did everything possible to avoid a collision.

couldn't hear their radios or my horn if I wanted them to.

No problem , replace the horn.

These guys have what you need !!

www.[B]kahlenberg[/B].com/

I use 1/4 and 1/2 mile quite a bit as it shows out to 2 daymarks and keeps me oriented with the channel. Going slower with a chartplotter I would keep it on a 1/4 mile much of the time..
I do the same thing. :blush:

I've been at 3/4 & 1 mile most of the time & have no problem picking up channel markers at 1/2 mile. Have found that fiberglass boats don't reflect much until pretty close, may have to play with the gain if that'll help & not add clutter to the screen. It did make me wonder how well I show up to tows & what could be done to improve that if need be.

here on the Hudson we also use 1/4 & 1/2 miles most often, Have seen fog in the am so bad we couldn't see 500 ft. On the long island sound can be even worse. good luck with the radar.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom