Advice on 76 Albin 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunset

Vessel Name
Manatee
Vessel Make
1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
I am hoping to check out a 76 Albin 25 located nearby at what seems to be a good price - $5K no trailer - I has the 36hp Volvo. At that price, if it's still available I'd like to make a quick deal to get it bu I don't know what to look for in terms of problem areas. Seller claims all is good except the fuel system needs a "tune-up." Whatever that ends up meaning.

I have repaired the sole on my bowrider so I do know what a soft sole feels like, but are there "common areas of concern" to pay attention to on a boat like this?

Also, any input on the pos/neg of owning this vessel much appreciated.

Sunset,
There's no problem areas on the old Albin except that Volvo. Lots of people like even them but I usually advise people looking for Albin 25s is to find one that has been repowered. They have no soft decks (no wood cores) no blisters and nothing else that is worth mentioning that chronically is bad. I had one w a Yanmar and my wife and I went to Alaska as far as Juneau.

Mine had 34hp. Cruised at 8.5 knots and 7.35 knots. Burned .85 gph at 7.35 knots. They are light boats compared to other trawlers but I've never heard of one capsizing. Her full cheeks and light weight gives her a "snap roll" that is very annoying in rough going.

Do you live in western Canada (where most Albin's are) or way out east? I've never heard of an Albin 25 for $5k. They usually sell for $18K to $30K. My advice is to BUY IT.

I have owned a 72/74 Albin (was never sure of the year) and a 76. Of the two I'd say that the 76 is a much improved version, at least to my way of thinking. The newer model has a modified hull that allows you to benefit from higher horsepower, which is good. The benefit is that you can actually achieve higher speeds; I was able to get 8-9 knots with a 36 HP Volvo, although the sweet spot was around 7 - 7.5 knots as I recall. The earlier hull would get around 7 knots max. with a 27HP Yanmar.

As Eric suggests though, the weak spot is the Volvo. Other than that I can't think of any problem areas. For $5k she should be a great boat as long as she isn't completely trashed.

The cruising area is 1000 Islands Lake Ontario, and here is the info on the boat:
Albin 25 for sale - Kingston Powerboats, Motorboats For Sale - Kijiji Kingston Canada.
Ad was only up 2 days and he already has a deposit - I suspect I've lost it. I told the seller I was ready to buy if the other falls through. Funny thing - when he replied to my inquiry I recognized his name - he is buying a cottage lot on an inland lake and I am the lawyer representing the seller - closing today!:lol:

Your comments serve to increase my frustration and motivate me to continue looking for this model. I will post back if I end up getting it.

I had a 1975 model with a 28hp Volvo. If it looks in good shape and works for you, I would grab it. The fuel system can be dealt with relatively easily. Add the cost of a repower into your figures. If it makes sense, go for it. I would still have mine except it was too small inside for me. Great boats. You can always find a buyer for these.
A knucklehead near me bought 2 of them. He plans to attach them together for a catamaran live aboard. I'm not a gun owner but if I was it would be tempting. One of his hulls was purchased for $500 partially submerged.

Conrad,
I actually prefered the older model w the narrower stern. I think Albin went overboard trying to modify the hull to keep the bow down and increase stability. The stability was better but made the boat a bit like a tricycle w the bow and the 2 stern corners so following seas wern't as easy to control but squatting WAS controlled. And the very slight hook in the bottom aft (that was put there assumably to control squat) was (in my opinion) too much. Unless you were heavy in the stern the bow woukd run "bow down" making a big bow wave. With my older banana hull I could run 10.5 knots at WOT. The bow was so high in the air I couldn't see where I was going .. but I was going. And early on I didn't even know there were two different hulls.

I could see fine a 8.5 knots (2750 rpm) and ran her thus for one year. Most of the other Albin owners thought I was nuts wanting to go over 6 knots. I finally settled on 7.35 knots. Sold the boat to an engineer that appreciated all the gearhead things I'd done to her.

Yes Sailor of Fortune they were a tad small and I banged my body a lot but they were such a good boat I kinda wish I had one now.

My 2 cents Sunset... Call him back and offer $6,000

SOF. Ya don't need a gun to strangle him. Just sayin'

Last edited:
My wife and I started out in a 1970 A-25. That boat was awesome and one. Will consider for downsizing to in the distant future. Ours had a universal 5444 and would run at 7.5 nots all day long and burg 3/4 gal/hr. ours had a Wallas 30 diesel heater too. Very comfortable boat, amazing amount of room and storage for a 25' boat. Read "The Curve of Time" and see what a 25' boat with only 6' beam can do in the PNW.

Several owners we talked with had the Volvo engine and experienced overheating issues and were looking to repower.

They trailer like a dream, launch and retrieve easily and are an amazing value for the money. At 5K, if you decide not to buy it, let us know, MIT end up with a 3rd boat. :blush:

I had a 1975 model with a 28hp Volvo. If it looks in good shape and works for you, I would grab it. The fuel system can be dealt with relatively easily. Add the cost of a repower into your figures. If it makes sense, go for it. I would still have mine except it was too small inside for me. Great boats. You can always find a buyer for these.
A knucklehead near me bought 2 of them. He plans to attach them together for a catamaran live aboard. I'm not a gun owner but if I was it would be tempting. One of his hulls was purchased for $500 partially submerged.

Recently in a different thread I jokingly responded that we had owned a 50' Albin in the past, consisting of two Albin 25's. You know, twin engines, two helm stations, catamaran hull etc. To hear that someone is actually doing that is hilarious. (Our ownership of the two Albins was separated by a 25 year time span.)

Conrad,
I actually prefered the older model w the narrower stern. I think Albin went overboard trying to modify the hull to keep the bow down and increase stability. The stability was better but made the boat a bit like a tricycle w the bow and the 2 stern corners so following seas wern't as easy to control but squatting WAS controlled. And the very slight hook in the bottom aft (that was put there assumably to control squat) was (in my opinion) too much. Unless you were heavy in the stern the bow woukd run "bow down" making a big bow wave. With my older banana hull I could run 10.5 knots at WOT. The bow was so high in the air I couldn't see where I was going .. but I was going. And early on I didn't even know there were two different hulls.

I could see fine a 8.5 knots (2750 rpm) and ran her thus for one year. Most of the other Albin owners thought I was nuts wanting to go over 6 knots. I finally settled on 7.35 knots. Sold the boat to an engineer that appreciated all the gearhead things I'd done to her.

Yes Sailor of Fortune they were a tad small and I banged my body a lot but they were such a good boat I kinda wish I had one now.

Hi Eric - I think we've discussed this before, as I had a niggly that you prefered the older hull style. But some of the other benefits of the newer model were improved storage, such as more shelving in the aft & main cabins plus a split stern platform c/w boarding ladder. At least those were the major differences between the two that we owned.

But they were certainly the best designed & built boats we've ever owned.

You guys are killing me here!:banghead: So I shot him a $6K offer payable NOW but I doubt it's still available, or that he'll even get my message in time.

I take comfort in the evil thought that this sort of "near hit" happens to all of us at some time or other. :facepalm:

Sunset I have no idea where Sharbot Lake is but if you're on the west coast I could help you. But since I've not heard of Sharbot L I suspect you're on the east coast. Also you look like a refined man not like the rough and tumble ones usually found out here.

Thanks Eric - but Sharbot Lake is in the woods-rock-and-lakes area north of Kingston at the eastern end of Lake Ontario. From Kingston the world is accessible (just takes a while to get there). And although far from refined I do rely on the help of experienced hands to open the doors of adventure! :lol:

Yikes! Owner's wife just called me - she wants to sell to me because the other deal is still conditional, wants mechanic to look at it etc, plus his offer is low. She liked my bump up to $6K. So i'm heading down to the waterfront now to look at it with her.

OK GOOD.

Don't worry too much at all about faded canvas, weathered wood hand rails, soiled carpet ect ect. Look at the hull, then the engine and then balance up the remaining stuff. If the overall boat was even halfway good and the engine wouldn't even turn over that price is so low you could easily repower and still have a great deal.

Actually that's the way I like to buy boats. Then you get to put new stuff in and the stuff YOU like instead of previous owners.

The sooner you get there the better. In a flash the other guy could up your offer by thousands when and if he finds out how much it's worth.

Good luck Sunset

Got it! :) The full set of canvas is brand new custom sunbrella, as are the cushions. Lifelines all round. New handrails painted gray. The gelcoat and interior generally is fairly rough but strong, no leaks topside. Ripe for upgrading the interior. I'll probably post soon in the general section to ask about things such as is it possible to spruce up the gecks and the hull economically, stuff like that.

No trailer so i need to organize a berth of my own soonish, and arrange for the motor to be fixed. It pooched out on them a few weeks ago.

Pics in a mo, have to resize. I'm in a bit of a daze, thinking of the adventures in the 1000 Islands that lay ahead.

Thanks Pseudonym! I hope so. I jumped as hard as I could, bought it as-is, because I did not see any other Albin 25 going for less than $15K. I don't know if another chance to actually get into a trawler at this affordable price would come by my own area again.

Now to tell the Admiral . . . . :eek::hide:

Attachments

• Albinstrnstrb4.jpg
    Albinstrnstrb4.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7,498
  • 20130629_152632.jpg
    20130629_152632.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,337
Nice job. Considering a repower and bringing it back into great shape will make this boat a nice project. Getting a trailer I think is a big plus. We trailered ours a lot and had the benefit of being able to work on it at home. Saved slip rent and put it back into the boat. These are great boats with a very high safety level about them. I added a large hatch in the galley area to let in more light and ventilation, plus I put in a folding seat that attached to the engine hood.

Thanks for the input Kolive. I am going to scour the net for ideas and pics about what and how to improve the look and utility of this unpolished diamond. For example, the walls of the aft cabin are that rough inside-of-fibreglass, and there must be a simple economical solution to cozy-ing that space up. Also - the Admiral is a seriously good cook, and I will want to win her over with an excellent stove/cooler sitch.

The PO installed a nice swim platform, new VFR/GPS and depth sounder.

As for repowering, ya but ya but. Hoping to revive the 36HP Volvo, it sips fuel and is actually in the boat. :lol: I don't have the kind of aptitude that is comfortable hunting down a Rabbit diesel for parts . . . I gave one away in the 80s that stalled out in the street for the 5th time. Electrical.

Way to go Sunset.

I was worried that other guy would show up w 10K.

You have a right to be very pleased.

Not just boat advice, but negotiation advice too. Well done Craig!
Congratulations Sunset, with you on reviving the Volvo, an engine change needs other alterations.

Thanks Bruce!

Another negotiating point - I have found that when buying from a family, be it a house, a boat (not so much a car), instead of denigrating the item to lower the price, better to show appreciation for the loved article. Most folks want their precious things to go to a good home.

Congratulations

Safari Panels 1.13 002
Sunset-
Quick action on your part. I did the same thing last year on learning of a 1975 Albin 25 in Minnesota with a new Yanmar 3GM30F. I raced up there from South Carolina with my ever-enduring wife and brought it home. I have been looking at small trawlers for years an this is the best. It is rare to find a displacement live aboard that's trailerable -- even rarer to find a model that is extremely well built and very well designed. You'll never regret the purchase. Of the many sites available for good information I'd put in a recommendation for my friend, John Stokes, and his blog. Google "Ms Bettencourt's Next Voyage".
As to your rough fiberglass in the rear cabin, if it is the hull walls, I am in the process of redoing both cabins with fiberglass sheet panels available at Home Depot. I cut to size after making a cardboard template and then attach a panel over the offending wall with velcro patches. They look great. I'll see if I can attach a picture. Anyway, congratulations. What is your hull number? Mine is 2052. Plossl.

Attachments

• Safari Panels 1.13 002.jpg
    Safari Panels 1.13 002.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 449
Thanks Plossl! That's the area I mean so I will see if HD has those panels locally. Looks terrific and so simple a solution.
Don't know my hull # yet, still have to arrange to get it out and up.

I think I will do the decks with Interlux PreKote and Interdeck.

Here are pics of the deck issues.

Attachments

• 20130702_140004.jpg
    20130702_140004.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 20130702_140010.jpg
    20130702_140010.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 205
I need to find the right fridge - 12v - that can g under the burner - and a stovetop. I need to figure how to add some 12v plugins - there are none. And a bunch of other stuff to modernize.

Looks fairly good for a 36 year old boat. Any interior issues? Here is a picture I found I thought might interest you. Plossl

Attachments

• Boattt 008.jpg
    Boattt 008.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 737
On ours the fridge was in the cockpit on the port side across from the helm. Don't remember the size, but I'd look at what NovaKool has to offer.

One of our Albins had a propane stovetop with the bottle stored just forward of the fridge in a compartment that was vented overboard.

Our other Albin had an Origo 3000 alcohol stove that worked quite handily for that size of vessel.

The propane stove was hotter but more complex; I'd be happy with either if I had an Albin again.

For a vent I'd look at Nicro. The solar powered ones look attractive but I've been cautioned that you need a lot of sunlight to make them work properly.

Nicro | Marinco

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom