Frustrated with yacht brokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Phil,
Can you explain further. Are you suggesting that the seller could get out of the pending contract or that I should be ready in case it falls apart?

Yes, so you know what you can do and jump on it. Financing a boat can be difficult and the reason many deals fall through. So talk to banks, insurance marina and have a cheap quick walk though with pictures survey like you are going tp buy it. Even if you do not at least you know people and good experience.

We had our banker and insurance broker call as reference. I was surprised tey took the dseal. They took the deal as w e did put up the house. and we had good references, and we met them.

A couple of months. I have actually had offers, but refused because without getting into too many details, they wanted more than I was willing to sell. But, my buyer will come.

I hear what you are saying about a easy to sell boat, but not many are, and, I have 5 kids.

What would you consider an easy to sell boat? (This is a thread discussion in itself)

GG, a canoo. This is a stupid joke, but sell your house and THEN buy your boat. Personally i think you and mom must reconsider this whole thing of buying a boat, i think this will end in a big big drama. Just my opinion.

Cees

Having been in the market, i.e., looking to purchase, over the last number of months, I can tell you that it is definitely a buyer's market, and selling any boat, especially a larger one, will take a long time. There are exceptions of course, but most boats I looked at last fall are still on the market.

GG, a canoo. This is a stupid joke, but sell your house and THEN buy your boat. Personally i think you and mom must reconsider this whole thing of buying a boat, i think this will end in a big big drama. Just my opinion.

Cees

Everyone's entitled.

This too is an interesting read.

For Sale: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Not saying don't do it, just be aware of the possibility. She has created an interesting blog as referenced in the post above.

Thanks for sharing the blog. She did an interesting angle. That's my biggest complaint about some cruising blogs. They make everything seem like rainbows and gumdrops all the time. I was planning to take the same angle. The good, bad, and ugly. It's always more interesting to read the truth, than a fairytale.

Her blog makes me want to hurry up and get out there.

This too is an interesting read.

For Sale: Catamaran: Cautionary Tale for Wannabe Cruisers - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Not saying don't do it, just be aware of the possibility. She has created an interesting blog as referenced in the post above.

It is hard to understand why people that do not even know how to do boat repairs would go cruising. It was even mentioned in their blog that they are not interested in performing repairs. What these people need is a large yacht with with a crew. None the less, the blog could be very helpful to others.

And just because the brand of boat you are looking at is called "Bluewater", do not think for a minute at it is Bluewater capable. If it is the same manufacturer that I am thinking of, it is basically a houseboat made to look like a trawler. I am not trying to shoot down your dream. Just trying to warn you.

The "Bluewater" brand of house boat made in the Northern Central US are not designed for any kind of heavy weather. They are built for the benign lakes and interior rivers of the US. They can be bought cheap though.

Bluewater Yachts are also fine for the ICW and even Bahamas cruising if you are careful getting there. Years ago I came close to buying one and looked at several very closely.

if you are careful getting there. .

I doubt GG has the CG experiences you do to allow safe weather decisions to be made when cruising offshore. I'd not suggest she buy a light duty fair weather boat for all weather salt water trips. She is looking for a Captain and minder for her 5 kids though.

While GG may not have my experience, the ICW and 50 something to the Bahamas is hardly "offshore cruising".

I may have missed it...but has she even discussed a Bluewater Yacht?

I agree that it wouldn't be the type of vessel to cruise the way she makes her future sound...for many that style boat has it's plusses.... but just isn't pseudo-salty enough for some here.

She is looking for a Captain and minder for her 5 kids though.

You're a funny man Tom :)

All joking aside she's previously stated(in another thread)she has a captain, or a friend that is one. If so, I don't understand why not just task said captain with finding a suitable boat or broker?

As to the rest I truly do wish her all the luck in her future endeavors and offer this. Buying a boat at any price point is one thing. Maintaining it is yet another.

The worn out acronym for BOAT is missing a T on the end for the size being discussed. If extensive cruising of subject older power boat truly is the end goal, perhaps an HT should be the last two letters.

As always, YMMV

C'est la vie

At least she can bounce it off a few docks and run it aground, hopefully, without sinking it...

You can do all that with a Bluewater Yacht and not sink it.

People should know they aren't bad boats...just designed for a specific purpose...but like all boats you can draw outside the lines sometimes...especially if you are good enough.

You can do all that with a Bluewater Yacht and not sink it.

People should know they aren't bad boats...just designed for a specific purpose...but like all boats you can draw outside the lines sometimes...especially if you are good enough.

Then, lets try this one...

She can get caught in a squall with 6-10' seas and won't have to be rescued by the coast guard...

And just because the brand of boat you are looking at is called "Bluewater", do not think for a minute at it is Bluewater capable. If it is the same manufacturer that I am thinking of, it is basically a houseboat made to look like a trawler. I am not trying to shoot down your dream. Just trying to warn you.

I would never purchase a Bluewater boat. They are not my style.

I meant it as a boat that can handle rough seas. It has the hull shape and a deep draft.

So, just out of curiosity, what us your budget now? Initially, it seemed pretty low.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Then, lets try this one...

She can get caught in a squall with 6-10' seas and won't have to be rescued by the coast guard...

Keep trying to prove a point...you won't....:rolleyes:

And totally off the topic to boot.

The only negative to you in obtaining a buyers broker and I have used one several times, is that you are expected to pay for out of cost expenses (airfares, hotels, food) when going to look at vessels away from your area which can add up if they are in far away places and you want to kick a number of tires before committing.

However if you do buy a vessel then those expenses can be deducted from some brokers percentages, just remember the broker has other expenses as well insurance, fees, office expenses etc. and their 5% split doesnt go as far you would expect.

GG,
I have sent you PM's and nothing but crickets. I as others have some real questions about your sincerity. When I hear someone bashing brokers and then fail to respond to our overtures your credibility and motives are brought into question. What exactly is it you want from brokers? This thread seems to have fully runs it's course. We are beating the same horse:banghead:

As a yacht broker, I get a lot of calls and emails from want-to-be's. Some times they are legitimate, sometimes not. So I have to make a decision as to how much time I wish to invest. Its very frustrating trying to help a client for weeks then he tells you he is buying a boat on Craigs list.

But if you call me, I will return the call.

GG,
I have sent you PM's and nothing but crickets. I as others have some real questions about your sincerity. When I hear someone bashing brokers and then fail to respond to our overtures your credibility and motives are brought into question. What exactly is it you want from brokers? This thread seems to have fully runs it's course. We are beating the same horse:banghead:

:horse: you mean like this?

Hey, I've stayed out of this for the last months because everytime anyone asks a question that involves specifics, they get no answer. ANd in the trillion posts I've seen so far, I know no more than I did in the beginning.

"if I told you the actual boat I want, I would have to kill you" Umm, Now I finally get it.:popcorn:

GG, many TF members have contributed to your thread which raised issues about yacht brokers being unresponsive. I agree with others, the thread has largely run its course, except for this question.
Daddyo appears pro-active as a broker and highly experienced as a captain. He is a fellow TF member and contributor. If he sent you PMs offering his assistance, why would you not take up his offer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom