Frustrated with yacht brokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging a book by it's cover is one of the stupidest mistakes that a broker could make.

This is my update.

GG, You know a lot about Real Estate not so much about boats. Why not concentrate on getting a nice big house in the best neighborhood with great schools? Continue to expand and build your business. Purchase a quality trawler like an early 49' Grandbanks and do the weekend, vacation thing to get you and the kids into it.
Summer cruises would be a great experience. If you can manage a life like that I think you will be a great success and example to your kids. Later after you pour a few million dollars into their college educations, you can move aboard a boat and chill out!

How does that plan grab You? JohnP

Judging a book by it's cover is one of the stupidest mistakes that a broker could make.

This is my update.

I think you are missing something ....

Just read your update.....

The first guy wasn't too far off base. A few moments talking boats and I would have a zillion suggestions for you too....so trying to steer you into a bigger boat to make you happy isn't wrong for a broker standing to sell a big boat and make someone happy. If the boats discussed weren't in your budget...you have more difficulty "being direct" than you say you are in your update.

The second guy...yeah..I'm outta there too.

The third guy wasn't necessarily wrong either...based on what you know and how long it's taking you to even get on a boat (the story about marinas being gated is crapola as I've been walking marinas for over 50 years all over the world). Finding marinas with larger vessels where you can walk the docks during the day and speak to owners or crews isn't hard...they may not be in your backyard but they are all over the map.

Giving up on a buyers broker is the opposite of what I would suggest based on the difficulty you have in getting through to "boating brokers".

Most would be eager for a client looking in the size range you are thinking of. You need to walk in and have a face to face at a reputable brokerage, bring some proof of means to be able to buy, and give the guy a couple links to your now sizeable internet presence showing just how interested you seem to be.

Finally...if you aren't being taken seriously...you need someone who will get your foot in the door for you. Someone who knows boats better than brokers (easy enough to find at many marinas) and have them on your conference call or go with you to a brokerage. I have done that through the years with dozens of people. Plus walking them through the process and have "shared enough" to help them narrow their search so they are mostly prepped to really do the rest on their own.

GG- I can sympathize with your frustrations. Not being the most clean-cut and well-dressed guys around, I am often misjudged by my cover. Sometimes to my benefit, sometimes not.

If I was in your position, I would make a good attempt to go through the broker. If ignored or brushed off, I would track down the boat owner with a bit of detective work, and explain why you are calling them direct. This shouldn't be to hard if you find out where the boat is and speak to the dockside neighbours. Be honest. Tell them that the broker isn't returning your calls.

I expect they will either deal directly with you, or they will put a rocket up the broker and you'll get their immediate attention.

I know some would think it would be morally wrong to bypass the broker; but this sounds like a better approach than using a "front man" or coming up with a set of lies to get you foot in the door.
No need to walk the walk & talk the talk. Just skip the bull and tell it like it is.

I think you're over-thinking all of this, but there is something to be said for your patience.

So 3 phone calls and you give up?

You need to be looking at everything and any thing. Each viewing will increase your knowledge of your wants and needs.

At the rate you're going, this boat thing will never happen.

You say that you're a real estate junkie? How much work is it to find the right property at the right deal?

Boats are no different.

Last edited:
I was in the car business for 22 years before I retired. I saw everything imaginable at least three times. It wasn't uncommon to have a customer come in carrying last years brocure to look at this years model and leave not buying and the next guy take that car in 15 minutes. Yacht brokers should also know you spend quality time with a customer and they will always remember you. Most return and buy unless a better deal was found elsewhere.

I can't sum this up in an easy sentence for you GG, but I think eye to eye is, and always was, the best method. You have the benefit of seeing the salesman/saleswoman in person and you can be the judge of his character as well. When you find a trustworthy broker, stick with him/her and they will go to work for you.

I bought a house recently before moving off the boat. I went through three realtors before I could be comfortable enough to finalize an offer. Two offers were a total waste with two bad realtors. There are salesmen in all walks that only look for the easy mark. You don't want them on your side, they only look out for themselves.

Good luck and find a local broker if you can't long distant. Commissions on boats are large and most can live on a few sales a year so be choosy and find the right one.

I can appreciate all of your responses.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I have a particular style of boat that I will buy. That being said, I also have an open mind at this point to the possibility that I could change my mind right up the point of purchase.

I decided to look at some other boats that weren't necessarily the boat that I loved, but boats that I know could work, just to be sure.

I have been trying to set up appointments to see these other boats by calling the listing broker direct. I haven't had a lot of luck yet. However, when I do find the boat that I love, which I feel I may have yesterday, I will get a hold of the broker come hell or high water because I will be motivated.

Now, the boat that I do love, the listing broker said is sale pending, so I have to wait until survey to see if it is sold or not.

Also, my house is on the market, once it is sold I will be on a warpath. I would like to find the boat before the house is sold, so that I can transition from one to the other, but some things are out of our control and work out how they work out.

It wouldn't make much sense for me to fly around looking at boats now. I am better off waiting for the house to be sold, then I can make an offer on the spot when I find the boat. But, I will keep looking. And if the boat that I found yesterday doesn't sell, I'm sure that I will make an offer contingent upon satisfactory viewing and survey. If the house isn't sold yet, I might try and negotiate my way into them holding it for me, fat chance, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just keep looking at boats. You won't know what you want until you're actually on the boat.

Tell the brokers you are coming to look at their boat on such n such day. If they're not available ask them to send their assistant.

GG, I believe that we are getting down to some honest talk. You are not ready to buy a boat, and if you did it would be contingent on the sale of your home. Do you take contingency contracts on the sale of your houses? Will you hold your houses until a prospect sells theirs?

I think we have been getting some mixed signals. At least we have some misunderstandings. Get a buyer's broker, and give him or her a clear understanding on where you stand and how you want him to work. They can keep you in mind by following the market. They can also give you a realistic idea of the price to expect on what you want. Don't expect a broker to go around dropping low ball offers on every boat on the market. That is not the way to buy a boat. Get realistic and stay with a good broker.

GG, I believe that we are getting down to some honest talk. You are not ready to buy a boat, and if you did it would be contingent on the sale of your home. Do you take contingency contracts on the sale of your houses? Will you hold your houses until a prospect sells theirs?

I think we have been getting some mixed signals. At least we have some misunderstandings. Get a buyer's broker, and give him or her a clear understanding on where you stand and how you want him to work. They can keep you in mind by following the market. They can also give you a realistic idea of the price to expect on what you want. Don't expect a broker to go around dropping low ball offers on every boat on the market. That is not the way to buy a boat. Get realistic and stay with a good broker.

I couldn't agree more. :thumb:

You aren't ready. You are a tire kicker with an if come maybe. When you are really ready, have the cash and or financing in hand, you will be treated differently by the brokers.

Good luck with the sale of your home and I hope you find the right boat.

Contingencies on homes selling happen all the time in real estate, it's standard practice.

I said in my post that it was a fat chance that they would would wait, but worth a try.

Now, the boat that I do love, the listing broker said is sale pending, so I have to wait until survey to see if it is sold or not.
If the pending sale falls though at/after Survey surely it tells you something.

I couldn't agree more. :thumb:

You aren't ready. You are a tire kicker with an if come maybe. When you are really ready, have the cash and or financing in hand, you will be treated differently by the brokers.

Good luck with the sale of your home and I hope you find the right boat.

Please explain to me why I wouldn't be looking for my boat when my house is on the market.

I am a much better bet than the guy looking at boats now when his retirement is 5 years away.

I have spoken now to 4 brokers and ALL of them agreed that now is the time to start looking before the house is sold so I won't have to scramble later.

The brokers take me serious when I able to have a conversation with them. The problem was getting them to return calls. But, I have figured that problem out.

Contingencies on homes selling happen all the time in real estate, it's standard practice.

I said in my post that it was a fat chance that they would would wait, but worth a try.

You are forgetting that I am still active in real estate. Yes, we take some contingency contracts, but we have a 48 hour right of refusal written in. If we get another acceptable offer the first purchaser has 48 hours to decide if they want to match it. We don't hold product until people decide if they want to buy.

You are forgetting that I am still active in real estate. Yes, we take some contingency contracts, but we have a 48 hour right of refusal written in. If we get another acceptable offer the first purchaser has 48 hours to decide if they want to match it. We don't hold product until people decide if they want to buy.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over real estate. I've had transactions in 3 different states. Each state was very different in their practices and ways. We are not in the same state so it's really comparing apples to oranges.

AND, I said before a couple of times, that it would be a FAT CHANCE that the seller would hold the boat, but worth a try.

If the pending sale falls though at/after Survey surely it tells you something.

Good point, that would definitely be a concern, but I would have to find out why. Some folks have a lower tolerance than others. And there's always renegotiation :)

I can appreciate all of your responses.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I have a particular style of boat that I will buy. That being said, I also have an open mind at this point to the possibility that I could change my mind right up the point of purchase.

I decided to look at some other boats that weren't necessarily the boat that I loved, but boats that I know could work, just to be sure.

I have been trying to set up appointments to see these other boats by calling the listing broker direct. I haven't had a lot of luck yet. However, when I do find the boat that I love, which I feel I may have yesterday, I will get a hold of the broker come hell or high water because I will be motivated.

Also, my house is on the market, once it is sold I will be on a warpath. I would like to find the boat before the house is sold, so that I can transition from one to the other, but some things are out of our control and work out how they work out.

It wouldn't make much sense for me to fly around looking at boats now. I am better off waiting for the house to be sold, then I can make an offer on the spot when I find the boat. But, I will keep looking. And if the boat that I found yesterday doesn't sell, I'm sure that I will make an offer contingent upon satisfactory viewing and survey. If the house isn't sold yet, I might try and negotiate my way into them holding it for me, fat chance, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Dear Gal Girl - I am really glad that you have come out, regarding your true situation. You need a "friend" that knows boats and has time to personally assist you; you’ve so very much yet to learn. The free education you received here is invaluable and I hope some of it rubbed off on you. Far as I can tell nearly all posting TF members did their (our) best for instructing you. Now we can all clearly see why the ends did not meet in the middle during many of the ways you acted, post you wrote, and convincing you tried. Truth always sets you free... in one way or the other! I truly wish you the very best luck toward accomplishing all you "try" to do! Seems to me, “Case Closed” - Cheers, Art

It seems that you have your answers, so I'm out.

Going back to Rolex's!! Several years ago (before I bought my very expensive Breitling!!), my son was back-packing around the world and bought me a Rolex knock-off as a gift. I never did get to see that tinfoil watch. Somebody thought it was the real thing and stole it off him!!

I think we, the audience, are still missing something.

I looked at boats for 5 years before actually buying. It makes no sense to wait until you can, as this is process that simply takes time. What do I want? What do I need? What can I afford to buy? cruise? maintain?

I also understood brokers time is valuable. And while I made it clear, I was not buying in the foreseeable future, brokers always returned my calls and I probably looked at a dozen boats around the country and two dozen in Europe.

So GG, what is the boat you loved? Is it truly unique?

RIchard

Dear Gal Girl - I am really glad that you have come out, regarding your true situation. You need a "friend" that knows boats and has time to personally assist you; you’ve so very much yet to learn. The free education you received here is invaluable and I hope some of it rubbed off on you. Far as I can tell nearly all posting TF members did their (our) best for instructing you. Now we can all clearly see why the ends did not meet in the middle during many of the ways you acted, post you wrote, and convincing you tried. Truth always sets you free... in one way or the other! I truly wish you the very best luck toward accomplishing all you "try" to do! Seems to me, “Case Closed” - Cheers, Art

Oh Please Art! I have been nothing but truthful. I wish Westwinds was here, because he is great at retrieving info. I have said numerous times both on this forum and cruisers that I was selling my house and buying a boat.

I also posted on my blog that I was selling my house in the plan and house for sale and Discouraged.

Give me a break. I really hate personal attacks.

One thing that I have learned, is that misery likes company. People that are unhappy in their own life will try to bring others right down with them.

I think we, the audience, are still missing something.

I looked at boats for 5 years before actually buying. It makes no sense to wait until you can, as this is process that simply takes time. What do I want? What do I need? What can I afford to buy? cruise? maintain?

I also understood brokers time is valuable. And while I made it clear, I was not buying in the foreseeable future, brokers always returned my calls and I probably looked at a dozen boats around the country and two dozen in Europe.

RIchard

Richard,
I think this thread probably no longer makes sense, because it has mutated. I was originally venting about trying to contact a few brokers and their lack of response. But, like always, it has turned into "GG, your not ready to buy a boat".

It's ridiculous. My house is being sold for the sole purpose of buying a boat. Who in their right mind wouldn't be looking for their next home while the current home is on the market?

And...Thank You...for acknowledging that you looked for 5 years before buying. I have been looking for not even a year and some people here jump down my throat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art

Oh Please Art! I have been nothing but truthful. I wish Westwinds was here, because he is great at retrieving info. I have said numerous times both on this forum and cruisers that I was selling my house and buying a boat.

I also posted on my blog that I was selling my house in the plan and house for sale and Discouraged.

Give me a break. I really hate personal attacks.

One thing that I have learned, is that misery likes company. People that are unhappy in their own life will try to bring others right down with them.

GG – See post # 109. Don said something with a base meaning, that if I may, I construe as not too unlike what I said... but in more direct way with possibly more eloquence and defiantly less explanation. I never feigned to be particularly eloquent... nor short on words! So, in short words, from closing to quote of mine at top... May I repeat “Case Closed”! - Art

RIchard

Richard,

Sorry, I forgot this part of your post.

I would love to share the link, but it seems that every time I post a boat that I am looking into. It sells a couple of weeks later, so I don't want to take the chance on this one.

The boat is blue water, a trawler, large fuel capacity. 4+ staterooms and < 65'.

It believe it may have everything on my wish list :)

Richard,

Sorry, I forgot this part of your post.

I would love to share the link, but it seems that every time I post a boat that I am looking into. It sells a couple of weeks later, so I don't want to take the chance on this one.

The boat is blue water, a trawler, large fuel capacity. 4+ staterooms and < 65'.

It believe it may have everything on my wish list :)

If my wife wanted the boat a sale pending would not stop me. The Eagle had sales pending but we cocontinued the talking to bank and insurance and had a quick survey,

We did not want to sell the house so we needed abridge loan and the seller took a loan and lien on the house for three years. Many deals fall through because of financing so offer a better more attractive offer. You never know until you try. My wife made me do it.

If my wife wanted the boat a sale pending would not stop me. The Eagle had sales pending but we cocontinued the talking to bank and insurance and had a quick survey,

We did not want to sell the house so we needed abridge loan and the seller took a loan and lien on the house for three years. Many deals fall through because of financing so offer a better more attractive offer. You never know until you try. My wife made me do it.

Phil,
Can you explain further. Are you suggesting that the seller could get out of the pending contract or that I should be ready in case it falls apart?

GG -- How long has your house been for sale? You may want to consider buying a boat you can resell quickly so you don't have a repeat of your current state. On a boat, maximum space for the lowest dollar is not always the key to resale success.

GG -- How long has your house been for sale? You may want to consider buying a boat you can resell quickly so you don't have a repeat of your current state. On a boat, maximum space for the lowest dollar is not always the key to resale success.

I don't know what the market is like where she is but here in Florida the only property not selling is over priced.

A couple of months. I have actually had offers, but refused because without getting into too many details, they wanted more than I was willing to sell. But, my buyer will come.

I hear what you are saying about a easy to sell boat, but not many are, and, I have 5 kids.

What would you consider an easy to sell boat? (This is a thread discussion in itself)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom