Thread: Bilge Paint
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Capt Kangeroo

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
Great question Craig.....& Hopcar, thanks for the chuckle, I just about choked on my morning coffee re the interlux colour availability.

You did however miss the fine print which is printed in ancient sanskrit on the bottom of the can. It reads: "We at Interlux know that it is a virtual impossibility to sand the rough fiberglass in an entire bilge once, let alone a total of 4 times and we are pretty confident no one is energetic or dumb enough to try, therefore when the paint fails as it surely will, please do not call us since we know you did not follow instructions.

All 50ft X 17ft of my bilge was painted with Interlux Bilgecoat by the previous owner but it is peeling off in numerous places. I find I can remove great swaths of it with nothing more than a garden hose with a spray nozzle. There must be a serious, purpose made product out there that bonds well to clean but unsanded fibreglass. This certainly isn't one of them. I hope others who have tried various paints will chime in on this thread.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote