What Camera to Use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnvoss

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gray Eagle
Vessel Make
1985 35" CHB
I see beautiful pics on this form, both still and video and always want to know what camera did they use. I am about to be a trawler owner and possible live aboard and want to take pics. Need help with my camera research. What cameras do you recommend? Thanks

I use the camera on my Samsung Galaxy SII android phone. For a cameraphone, it takes impressively good photos. I have a Photobucket app which automatically uploads each picture to web-hosting site. Then posting the URL here is a piece of cake.

Of course, it helps to have good subjects.

img_163597_0_1a444157e587b5c63a6108a3271e8cde.jpg

img_163597_1_2bb9d82ba10261b3a88322acd14ca628.jpg

img_163597_2_1ad12723aa45144915c873dde4c7abf6.jpg

img_163597_3_39bc485be47c232007f5955cdea9ed29.jpg

img_163597_4_dbcb0e28de910753edb3d9467a6f400f.jpg

img_163597_5_7fef2bedb11853a70420e1f671596e61.jpg

img_163597_6_9ac583c9d93c48c49b6b54adced9454e.jpg

(don't know how this one got in there...)

Last edited:
It really depends on what you want to do with the camera. I use an iPhone for many of my photos, and has been mentioned here, today's phones can take very impressive images.

But I also have a Nikon 7000 SLR that I use when I want to get more creative. The big difference is that the SLR allows you to zoom in on distant subjects, and to some degree the images have more definition.

If you go that route, you will definitely want image stabilization, which in the SLR world usually means stabilized lenses. Especially for zoom/telephoto shots, but it is useful even for wider angled lenses when you're on a boat.

As a long time (and current) SLR user though, I'm finding myself more and more using the iPhone. It has a slightly wider angle and the images can quickly be shared.

I also use my cell phone, Blackberry, for many pictures as well as the Ipad and a Canon Rebel T3i. Whatever is handy, just get the pic!! Timing is everything.

Attachments

• June 9 2013 Lake Simco (Large).jpg
    June 9 2013 Lake Simco (Large).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 133
That fridge photo is the Trawler Forum equivalent of the Sharon Stone 'Basic Instinct' scene. Wouldn't be surprised if the 'mods' pounced, official warning, probation etc.

There is only so much subversion an organisation will take.

Maybe the forum should do a whip round to restock the poor old fridge( none of that dreadful light beer stuff though) :rolleyes:

The skill of the photographer is more important than the camera.

img_163613_0_e77c11ec282f08b99bd723c278aa23a2.jpg

I use a Cannon PowerShot A1200 because it’s just about the last camera on the market for point and shoot that has a optical viewfinder that frees you from the LCD screen.

I can’t see squat on the LCD out in the sun.

I think it’s been replaced by the A1300, still, as far as I know with a optical viewfinder.

What works for me, may not work for you.

Mike

Mostly my Nikon SLR D-80, but phone cameras never cease to amaze, and are readily at hand. If you go the Digital SLR route, one lens that does everything is better than 2 complementary lenses you swap. I`m using a Tamron 18-200, replacing the OEM 18-135, for more telephoto capacity.

There is no one on the forum that takes better picture better than Mark Pierce on Coot.

Wista 4x5...but then ya kinda gotta be ashore;

Attachments

• wistacherry_2.jpg
    wistacherry_2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 124
Or you could make your own...

Attachments

• DSC_0229.jpg
    DSC_0229.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 125
Gnarly, Dude!

What format is that puppy?

I have no idea. I was visiting the Bloedel Conservatory in Vancouver, taking lots of photos with my "fancy" SLR, when I came upon a fellow taking photos with this camera. It is a work of art for sure, making mine look very pedestrian. Yes, he'd built it himself. And it uses film.

I just know someone is going to own a Hasselblad. Come on,own up

It all depends on what you want. The cameras on phones do well for just pictures. If you want to step up your game a bit, then you will have step up your equipment. There are some EXCELLENT point and shoots out there now. There are also some excellent mirrorless cameras as well...if portability is your issue because they aren't necessarily cheap but they take excellent pictures with the features of an SLR without the bulk. Anyway, I have been eyeballing the Sony RX100. Not cheap but rave reviews!!! Also the NEX series of mirrorless cameras.

It really depends on what you want to do with the camera. I use an iPhone for many of my photos, and has been mentioned here, today's phones can take very impressive images.

But I also have a Nikon 7000 SLR that I use when I want to get more creative. The big difference is that the SLR allows you to zoom in on distant subjects, and to some degree the images have more definition.

If you go that route, you will definitely want image stabilization, which in the SLR world usually means stabilized lenses. Especially for zoom/telephoto shots, but it is useful even for wider angled lenses when you're on a boat.

+1 on all Conrad said. The truly great photographers take LOTS of pictures; one is bound to come out well. Being in the right place at the right time is a big part of it - one huge benefit of cell phone cameras. Still, when I'm going out to intentionally shoot pictures, a good zoom and image stabilization allow me to get shots no point-and-shoot or cell phone camera can get. And I can shoot the same scene a dozen different ways from one spot. Again, one is bound to look good.

I miss 2-GB memories. My Cannon Elph SD600 is now obsolete.

Last edited:
I miss film.

I used to, but when the cost per image was approaching $1/print, and photo labs going the way of the Edsel, I switched to digital, and actually find it a lot more fun, as there is no penalty for taking 100 shots of the same scene. One of the 100 shots will hopefully be a good one, as CaptTom says!

Plus image sharing is so easy with digital. In the 6 years I've had my digital SLRs I've taken about 45000 shots ( of which about 2 were good...) and only printed one, for a framed Christmas present.

Couldn't have done that with film!

I like to have my Nikon D300s along with a 17-55mm and 70-200mm lenses. The 70-200 is used primarily while traveling from here to there. The 17-55 is used at the dock.

For quick stills and easy posting we use our iPhones. For somewhat better stills we'll use an old Sony Cybershot (with viewfinder). We have two video cameras onboard for our "professional" work: a six-year old Sony PMW-EX1 and a GoPro. That little GoPro continues to amaze me with it's video quality and versatility. Here's a sample of what the GoPro can do handheld (something we just shot two days ago):

I've been very happy with my 1 yr old Sony NEX-5N with manual zoom. It's the primary camera of an underwater photo award winning dive buddy of mine Feral Divers Media & takes great stills & video. It can be a simple P&S or as complicated as you want. The newest version is the NEX 5R, downloads images wireless to computer.

I was curious about waterproof video cameras myself so I shall watch this with interest...the GoPro sounds wicked...

I was curious about waterproof video cameras myself so I shall watch this with interest...the GoPro sounds wicked...

Being a surfer, the GoPro is prolific amongst us!!!...so much so that we call it the "HoPro"....because people use it to video themselves surfing and whore it up for the camera!!!

LOL yup...I may just become a ho myself then....it would be great to take underwater shots as you bring a fish in....and to take a peek at the prop etc without going overboard...

One of my suppliers made a prototype of a GoPro housing that is safe to 2000 feet or more. It's designed to go on a fishing line while deep dropping for sword fish. The camera is positioned about ten feet from the bait. He has some amazing video of sword fish taking bait at 1800 feet down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom