Reasons for a flybridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't imagine boating in Florida without an outside helm station or fly bridge. How else could I enjoy the beautiful weather? I also prefer the visibility--especially while docking.

I have a helm station with steering/controls and a chair mounted on the engine box. I can't remember the last time I took the helm from inside.

Here is a picture of the set-up (older photo before I took delivery): IMG_0996 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cool. A Vashon made it all the way to Florida. I almost bought one when I lived in Washington State.

Stalker question: Is the other boat "At Last" a Hercules?

Last edited:
Looks like the same one that was tempting me in the California Bay Area for a while.

Sherpa is a great boat.

I prefer to dock and exit from the flying-bridge mainly because I can see so much more clearly. Had I tried to back in from the pilothouse last time I would have taken off one of the VHF antenna's that was lowered but almost caught on the dock roofing supports.

I do like the view from above as well although my view is not like yours on the Luhrs if it was the admiral would have me for lunch.....or at least I would be digging real deep on an explanation that tried to make sense ....

Cool. A Vashon made it all the way to Florida. I almost bought one when I lived in Washington State.

Stalker question: Is the other boat "At Last" a Hercules?

Thanks--the Vashon does turn heads here in Florida. The original 18HP Perkins was replaced with a 29HP MD2030 Volvo Penta. "At Last" is a 26' Outer Reef "tug" built in the early 80s. Dad had a fly bridge installed in lieu of the faux smoke stack; it was a great decision on his part. I came across At Last several years ago but she was in sad shape--almost bought it to restore. You still see them around once in a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom