Wanted: Seasonal Moorage Suggestions for Desolation Sound & Area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKMary

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kingfisher
Vessel Make
1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
I'm planning on running my 48' pilothouse from Puget Sound up to Desolation Sound this summer. I'll have to leave her twice, for about 2.5 weeks each time: Once in early August and again in mid-Sept.

I'll also need to get to SEA from wherever I leave the boat, which shouldn't be a problem as long as I give myself enough time.

Campbell River looks like a convenient spot with multiple marinas, easy provisioning, services, etc. I'm not comfy leaving her at anchor, so am interested only in marina/private slip options.

I'd love to hear suggestions on good places to leave the boat, pitfalls to watch out for, how best to find slip options (Craigslist) etc.

Thanks for the help,
Mary

Campbell River, Comox and Powell River are the obvious choices with airports. None have a direct flight to SEA.

The municipal marina in Powell River would likely be able to accommodate you in the South Harbour, although you wouldn't have an assigned slip. If you haven't been, or haven’t been there recently, the South Harbour has doubled in size and has new facilities.

Powell River is right between Desolation and Jervis, so it would be convenient. There is 4 (5 in the summer) flights per day from Vancouver that are reasonable (~$100) if you book ahead on Pacific Coastal. The flight takes 25 minutes. The airport is maybe 3kms from the harbour. If you choose to drive, driving time is about 5.5 hours out of Vancouver, with two connecting ferries. I mention this because people underestimate the time it takes to get here, even though the distance isn’t far.

Attachments

• wharfwestview_2012_scaled_resized.jpg
    wharfwestview_2012_scaled_resized.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 90
I'm sitting here in Discovery Harbour Marina in Campbell River as we speak, and it would meet all of your requirements I think.

They do cater to a huge transient moorage crowd in the summer, so I would expect you should have room, September for sure. Power (mostly 30 amp) and water of course.

If you call them, ask to speak to Tara, the Harbour Master, as she is best able to accommodate you.

The marina has the usual shower & laundry facilities, which are very clean & tidy.

And it is also adjacent to a good mall with a large Superstore, Starbucks, Staples, Canadian Tire, and other specialty shops. A liquor store of course. And restaurants that overlook the water.

Plus there is a well equipped boatyard (Ocean Pacific) and chandlery.

Comox is a 30 minute taxi ride, and has flights via Westjet & Air Canada, although I don't know their schedules. The Campbell River Airport also has flights but I know nothing about them.

The marina is about 3 hours @ 8 knots from a number of excellent anchorages in Desolation Sound.

I hope this helps!

The marina is about 3 hours @ 8 knots from a number of excellent anchorages in Desolation Sound.
Now, that's an understatement.... The cruising is terrific in that area!

Now, that's an understatement.... The cruising is terrific in that area!

You're so right Walt! The nearest anchorages are 3 hours away, but they are just the beginning.

Thank you for the great information! I'm so excited to get going that I can't stand it. This is my first season as a boat owner and cruising up to Desolation Sound will either make me or break me - and I'm betting on "make me". I'm no speed hound and plan on taking my time to explore the nooks & crannies. The tips & hints from TrawlerForum readers are a real treasure. :))

Well Mary, I don't think you could have chosen a better starting point than Desolation Sound! The scenery is terrific (to quote Walt), there are many very protected anchorages so you can safely practice your anchoring skills, and the crowds are very tolerable. I'm sure it will be a make, not break, experience!
We may run - gently I hope - into each other out there, you never know.

Discovery Harbour Marina will charge only by the foot per night, presently $.64 on their website.
Taku Resort on Quadra, is $1.50 to put that into perspective.
April Point is only for registered guests, so not available for what you want, besides being much more expensive.
Check Bliss Landing and the Laughing Oyster on Okeover Inlet (don't know if they have enough room for what you want).
The gov't dock in Cortez Bay is a possibility, $.75 per night (may have changed since I last checked) and regular Kenmore Float service to Seattle.
Comox has lots of possibility too, great gov't or local marinas, but busy, so you would need to book well ahead.

Bliss will usually do long term in the off season. Okeover is a Goverment dock. I wouldn't recommend either due to access to an airport. Taku wuld be a ferry and a drive away too.

Unless you chartered a float plane. $$$

I forgot about Kenmore air. I think they go direct to Campbell River too in season.

Thank you for the great information! I'm so excited to get going that I can't stand it. This is my first season as a boat owner and cruising up to Desolation Sound will either make me or break me - and I'm betting on "make me". I'm no speed hound and plan on taking my time to explore the nooks & crannies. The tips & hints from TrawlerForum readers are a real treasure. :))

I suggust you check into getting a stern line if you plan on staying in these crowded areas. If you can't do a stern tie to shore you will be limited in where you can spend the night. I'm thinking that at least half the anchourages in Desolation require a stern line.

Ron

I suggust you check into getting a stern line if you plan on staying in these crowded areas. If you can't do a stern tie to shore you will be limited in where you can spend the night. I'm thinking that at least half the anchourages in Desolation require a stern line.

Ron

Good idea. I have a 600' spool of braided polypropylene, as do most others in the area. Poly is nice as it is usually bright colored and it floats so transiting dinghies can see it.

AKMary,

Canada has rules about a non-Canadian leaving a boat in Canada while the owner leaves the country. As I recall, the boat has to be left with a marina that is going to do work on the vessel.

Be sure to call Canada Customs and find out. Otherwise, you could return to find your boat impounded.

AKMary,

Canada has rules about a non-Canadian leaving a boat in Canada while the owner leaves the country. As I recall, the boat has to be left with a marina that is going to do work on the vessel.

Be sure to call Canada Customs and find out. Otherwise, you could return to find your boat impounded.

Interesting thought. I see a few American vessels moored here over the winter so there must be a way to do it. I'll inquire tomorrow when the marina office is open.

If you send me you email address I will email you a Canadian marina directly. I know it’s in my two feet stack of misc boating stuff. Its been about two years since I used it so it should be about 1 foot down. :D;)

AKMary,

I think the OP is talking about leaving her boat in Canada for a couple of weeks at a time so I doubt that she has to worry about it being "seized and impounded"
Lots of people do it regularly. it's no big deal.
Bob

While it's 'no big deal' to a Canadian, it could be a very big deal to a non-Canadian. Here is a quote from Canada Customs D2-1-1 - Temporary Importation of Baggage and Conveyances by Non-Residents
Retention of Foreign Pleasure Craft in Canada

56. Owners are advised that operational checks are made from time to time at marina and service outlet locations. Non duty and tax paid pleasure craft, imported by visitors and remaining in Canada without being documented on a Form E99 or a Form E29B may be seized and forfeited under the Customs Act.

If its my boat that could be 'seized and forfeited' I would contact Canada Customs to be sure I understand what is required to leave my boat in Canada.

Larry

I can only agree that it is always good to err on the side of caution, especially when dealing with Customs and Immigration authorities who have the power to ruin your day and make your life very difficult.

Bob

moorage

check out Quadra island, it's right next to Campbell river (short ferry ride) maybe not so crowded. rates were reasonable too.

So, I contacted Tara at Discovery Harbor and have a slip reserved for 3 weeks, starting at the end of July. I'm paying the high season monthly rate of ~$968, for 48' which is still spendy but significantly less than the daily rate. I might use this same marina later in Sept. and Tara said she would likely offer me the low season rate at that time.

I've also added stern line to my ever-growing shopping list & will be making a run to Fisheries Supply before I depart. I read through previous strings about stern tying & such and plan on purchasing a 600' spool of polypropylene line, either 1/2" or 5/8". That length might be overkill, but it's fairly cheap and I'd rather have more than I need.

Now to research crab & shrimp pots...

Thank you all!

Now to research crab & shrimp pots...

Speaking from experience (I used to live in Brownsville and Kingston, WA) Canadian built prawn traps are way better than the American shrimp traps. The SS ones are nice, as they don't stain your deck. Crab traps, about the same.

Make sure you get and use a Canadian crab gauge though...

Ocean Pacific is a pretty nice chandlery in Campbell River.

I read through previous strings about stern tying & such and plan on purchasing a 600' spool of polypropylene line, either 1/2" or 5/8". That length might be overkill, but it's fairly cheap and I'd rather have more than I need.

I would think 1/2" should be find. You are sharing the load with your anchor when you deploy a stern line. I have 600 feet of 3/8" on my 38 footer and it has never had a load where I couldn't pull on the stern line. I like having 600 feet so I never worry if I will have enough when heading to shore with the line in my teeth.

I bought a fancy reel this year for my stern line but in the previous years I suspended the stern line reel on a boat hook that was supported with 2 chairs. This worked just fine.

Ron

Hi there Mary,

I completely missed the last part of this thread - out cruising last summer I guess. How was your experience? Hopefully it "made you"!

Back
Top Bottom