PNW low budget in search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utazo89

New, no experience, low budget, estimated purchase 2014, live aboard, some cruising, single handed, close to retirement.:banghead:

New, no experience, low budget, estimated purchase 2014, live aboard, some cruising, single handed, close to retirement.:banghead:

Whats's "low budget"? For some, it's $25K, for other $250K.

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

Are you looking for a turnkey boat or one that needs elbow grease? Are you a do it yourselfer?

My budget will be around 60-80K, total. Loan will be needed, but I will have the downpayment, by next year. It would be nice to pay it off before I retire.
I don't mind to get dirty and do the maintenance, some repairs, or to learn how to fix things. I am good with tools.
I don't mind to deal with diesels, electronics, or paints.
I will be living on it alone, with occasional visitors, but I am not a party guy. Seaworthiness is more valuable to me than a barbecue in the back. I am low maintenance, but I love cooking, so good freezer and fridge, space, is needed. I used to live in small quarters, so luxury is not what I am looking for, but I do appreciate a beautiful wood interior.

Going to put our Gulfstar, 1973 Mark 1, 43ft trawler for sale later this year. We've been restoring the old gal, Sangria Mites for the past (almost) two years. You're welcome to ping me for information.

I think that there are plenty of vessels in that range that will meet your needs- the problem is that vessels in that price point may come with a list of required or discovered work that can quickly blow any budget.

I recommend looking at the 34-36' CHB/Taiwan built line of trawlers from the 80s, Bayliner 38xx series, and maybe the Grand Banks from the late 70s to current (glass construction). I'd stay away from wood unless you have very deep pockets and enjoy pain....

Do a search on Yacntworld. Plug in your price range + 15%, trawler type, single or twin, length range, etc. and see what comes up.

CHBs, well kept Marine Traders, older Mainship 34s, very older GBs and even newish Camano 31s (my favorite for 1-2 people) should come up.

For that price you can even find 40-45' older CHBs, etc but they will have old run down systems and will need lots of work.

David

Kirkland, huh? (My daughter lives there.) Where will you keep the boat? On the Sound or on the lake? Yarrow Bay is nice (covered slips) but I don't know if there is a waiting list or not.
Suggestions already made are good but don't pass up Californians, IGs , etc.

Unfortunately, Walt, no moorages on the Eastside allow liveaboards. He could go south to Parkshore Marina, or hopefully find something on Lake Union....

Lot of great info! Thanks gents. I know, I need to learn a lot. I am already browsing the YW, but giving me tips for what, is a great help. A slip will be a challenge, but I don't need anything fancy. Lake Union would work, too. I wish the UW had some slips available. It would be a great work benefit. But I don't mind to live with the fishermen, if that is the only affordable place. I live in Kirkland only temporary, so I will move, once I can buy the boat. I just hate to commute, which I have to do for few more years.

One thought regarding live aboard moorage in Lake Union, or the ship canal. The OP mentions cruising single-handed. I don't know how often he intends to do that, but anything big enough to live on will require a second set of hands to get through the locks. You can pick them up/drop them off at Shilshole, but the logistics of that can be a pain. Shilshole itself might be a better option for the OP. They have a large resident community although there are likely to be wait lists for live aboards for each slip size.

If you do liveaboard in Lake Union, you will be able to take the dinghy to work when you are at the UW. They have a dock just past the Montlake Cut from Portage Bay to Lake Washington. Coach Sark-the FB coach, comes to work once in a while in a 29' Cobalt from the Eastside. Short walk to the hospital area and lower campus. A bit more of a walk to upper campus.

Well, Gents. it seems that I will keep on dreaming. The slip charges are very scary at Lake Union, or in the Seattle area, for that matter. Where should one go, who cannot afford these prices?

If you find slip prices in Lake Union scary, wait until you see the apartment rents!

hahaha, I am paying rent now for an apartment in Kirkland, it is not cheap....
But, if the slip charges, utilities, insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel, loan payments are much higher, I am not sure, if I can manage it.

I may have just what you need. Plus it is in Seattle. Plus with a live-aboard covered 45' slip. Plus no locks. Plus has been live-aboard for 20+ years. Plus has legal sanitation system. Plus so much more. Virtually every system has been upgraded.
39' single engine(new), bow thruster, new running gear etc. etc.

PM me if you are interested. Available this fall.

Ian M.

Is it just my impression, or others feel the same? When I look at smaller boats 30-35, (almost the same age), comparing to the larger boats 40-45, I cannot see huge price difference. My point is; if I buy a smaller boat to live on, I wish to have newer, better quality, compared to the larger boats, which might require lot more work. But a smaller boat is just as expensive, when it is newer and well kept. Yes, there is a price difference, but not enormous. Am I incorrect?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom