Reasons for a flybridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, I think I recognize those girls!

attachment.php

You referring to the speckled ones of upper portion on right? Years ago I knew their twin sisters... well! :socool:

Why watch from the balcony when one can be in the orchestra?

img_162059_0_596194a0812644834abe960bd4ac9351.jpg

Like Brooksie said, I boated for 30 years without a flybridge. My first trawler (an American Tug 34) didn't have one, and I thought I would never want one. I always thought that boats looked better without flying bridges, and I poo-pooed them as unnecessary. I actually passed on looking at boats just because they had a flybridge.

All that changed when I bought a Sabreline 36 Flybridge Sedan. At first I didn't want to "pay" for the flybridge and thought I would never use it. Man, was I wrong. In the 4 years we had that boat, the very few times we were at the lower station were only when it was just too raw to be up top. I became a complete convert. It was a revelation.

For me, the reasons to have it are what everyone else has already mentioned. Visibility being the biggest plus, both when underway and in close quarters docking - an unobstructed 360 degree just can't be beat. Even my wife likes the 'visibility' for sightseeing - it's just a lot more fun to be up higher, with a better view, out in the breeze. It's like being in a convertible car, but with much less turbulence (cruising at 16 kts instead of 60 mph).

After that experience, we would never be without a flybridge. But, in a nod to practicality, I would never have a boat without an enclosed lower station, for those times when we're caught out in weather too unpleasant to be up top, and we always use a bimini top on the flybridge to keep the sun off our aging skin.

Maybe if you guys who don't like flying bridges would boat where the water is clear enough to see the bottom, you'd change your mind. I've seen some pretty nice bottoms from my flying bridge.

Damn I wish I had a picture to go with that statement. You guys will make one up in your minds anyway.

they come in handy when squeaking under bridges....

Fly Bridge / Sun Deck... Well above water - place to pilot, space to spread out, relax... scenery galore!!

Why Not!?!?

Attachments

• Taune w-Harlow on Bridge.jpg
    Taune w-Harlow on Bridge.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Copy of Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.jpg
    Copy of Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 120
  • TO - Bridge in Tules 100_0442.jpg
    TO - Bridge in Tules 100_0442.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Downsize_Copy of TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.JPG
    Downsize_Copy of TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 141
Count me in as a flybridge enthusiast. I only use the pilot house for overnight passages and inclement weather. The only complaint we have about the Nordhavn 43 is that the FB is pretty small. It's OK for the two of us, but not much room for guests. I also greatly prefer the visibility from the FB when docking.

This is a photo I took from my 54' Sport Fisher. That's my niece Corrine who was 28 at the time and really screwed up. I did my very best to try and help her out but after 6 or 7 months, I gave up. :cry::whistling::blush:

Attachments

• My 28 Year OlD Niece.jpg
    My 28 Year OlD Niece.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
This is a photo I took from my 54' Sport Fisher. That's my niece Corrine who was 28 at the time and really screwed up. I did my very best to try and help her out but after 6 or 7 months, I gave up. :cry:

That is definitely a dangerous flybridge.

Had my fill of outdoor boating on sailboats. ... Avoid expense, duplication of helm/navigation station, and excess windage with just a pilothouse.

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A64672336nu0mrj

Had my fill of outdoor boating on sailboats. ... Avoid expense, duplication of helm/navigation station, and excess windage with just a pilothouse.

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A64672336nu0mrj

Mark - You have the perfect boat for you! We all have our favorite TV chair to sit in. And, we who are lucky and smart also have our favorite boat design to cruise/hook/play in. But, few of us have nuclear powered (i.e. insignia) craft such as two similar to each other vessels I immediately think of - LOL

Mark, have you ever owned or professionally operated a boat with a flying bridge?

Had my fill of outdoor boating on sailboats.

From where do you operate your sail? From indoors?

Avoid expense, duplication of helm/navigation station, and excess windage

Talk about added expense and excess windage! Not to mention bridge clearance! :socool:

Well, I'd never have a sail on my boat, but that's fodder for another thread. :whistling:

BTW, I still like your boat... :flowers:

A flying bridge makes a great back rest as well.

Attachments

• Possum Folks.jpg
    Possum Folks.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 110
Mark, have you ever owned or professionally operated a boat with a flying bridge?

No, but been on friend's flybridges. On the first occasion it was too cold (berthed on July 4) and the second time anchored in SF Bay where it seemed like I could be flung from the boat. Regardless, I have no "flybridge envy."

Had my fill of outdoor boating on sailboats.

From where do you operate your sail? From indoors?

Avoid expense, duplication of helm/navigation station, and excess windage

Talk about added expense and excess windage! Not to mention bridge clearance! :socool:

There is a clear hatch above the helmsman's position to monitor sail trim. Yes, sail handling requires stepping out into the solar storm.

Yes, there is some additional windage and bridge clearance, but it's neat to see the Coot with sail! Besides, the mast provides longer-range VHF use.

232323232%7Ffp543%3B8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394%3A9%3A67%3A9336nu0mrj

Last edited:
flybridge views in Glacier bay

View from flybridge in Glacier Bay--stupendous!!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• blog 2 025.jpg
    blog 2 025.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 87
  • blog 2 097.jpg
    blog 2 097.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 87
  • blog 2 180.jpg
    blog 2 180.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 79
  • blog 3 001.jpg
    blog 3 001.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 427
  • blog 3 003.jpg
    blog 3 003.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 76
  • blog 3 008.jpg
    blog 3 008.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 87
I LOVE BOATS! Big or Small, Sail or Power... However:

Every boat type has its place!

Pleasure sail boats workout best in fairly deep open waters with no low bridges

Pleasure power boats belong in waters wherever fuel is available

Ski boats should stay in generally calm water areas

Small o/b runabouts need considerably calm waters

Ocean racers... Sport fishers... Tugs... well, you get the idea!

So, I advise, whatever boat you are most attracted to or that you may own – enjoy the heck out by making use of it in the best useable most accommodating locations / areas available!

Happy Pleasure Boating Daze! - Art

Last edited:
On again, off again

A previous owner added a flying bridge for commercial charter, but the next one chopped it off again. I think she's OK either way. She'll be my last boat so I'll never really know.

Attachments

• DSC02705 (800x600).jpg
    DSC02705 (800x600).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC04117 (800x451).jpg
    DSC04117 (800x451).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 88
The latest version is classy. The flybridge was an atrocity.

Well said, Art. Just as long as your get-home engine is not made of cotton sheets on a rope! :hide:

View from flybridge in Glacier Bay--stupendous!!!

Glacier Bay and all other fjords are spectacular regardless of the viewpoint!

232323232%7Ffp537%3C%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A286%3A8336nu0mrj

"The latest version is classy. The flybridge was an atrocity".

OK Mark, but maybe when the upper deck was fully garnished with paying passengers, he felt differently:)

Eagle, I'm eager to see your boat with sails unfurled!

Mark - You're simply "Bridge-A-Phobic!! :rofl:

Definitely! But that doesn't mean I won't take advantage when offered of others' flybridges and extra engines.

I enjoy the "positive vibes" of people loving/enjoying their boats.

Last edited:
Definitely! But that doesn't mean I won't take advantage when offered of others' flybridges and extra engines.

Right on! :thumb:

We meet on water... I'll give ya "Bridge Joy"! :speed boat: :speed boat:

I'm open-minded about them. I wouldn't want one totally enclosed in plastic. You may as well be inside then. I think the extra windage may necessitate a bow thruster when docking in a breeze.
I do like the open view it gives you, whether it be for manouevering in tight quarters or just enjoying the scenery.

When the weather is nice I sometimes relax out on the bow with the remote control for the autopilot. I just have to keep my head down below boom level when the sails are up.
Thats the only time I don't like my wannabe windows. Not very good for reclining against.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom