Alternative Swim Platform Materials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pictures of PlasTeak swim platform I put together last fall all installed, with staple rail/granny bar that can be removed after pulling one quick release pin.

Next project is davits. Installed the lower mounts on the platform before we splashed on Tuesday.

VERY Cool. What is that stuff? Where do you get it?

My platform is very sad. We've been contemplating it's rehab for years.

Thanks!

Pictures of PlasTeak swim platform I put together last fall all installed, with staple rail/granny bar that can be removed after pulling one quick release pin.
Very nice! Whos davits are you going with?

Attachments

• IG 32 with FoldingDavits2.jpg
    IG 32 with FoldingDavits2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Chuck's Davit Mounts.jpg
    Chuck's Davit Mounts.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 159
Won't they interfere with the boarding?:confused:

Folded flat against the transom they surely will.

But when the dinghy is not on the davits, my plan is to keep the davits swung out in the "deployed" position and secured by hooking the falls onto pad eyes on the edge of the platform so they won't block entry onto the platform from the rear. The cross bracing that comes with the davits, and must be used when the dinghy is on the davits, folds up against the davits when not needed.

When alongside a float or dock, the dockside davit is going to inhibit transiting to and from the dock onto the swim platform unless it is swung out so it protrudes, perpendicular to the boat, into the dock area and is secured in that position.

Had initially purchased removable St. Croix davits, but where and how they were to be mounted proved problematic so we sent them back.

Neither one of us like the Weaver, or Weaver-like, tip up types although we seriously contemplated the Seawise system.

Given our druthers, we'd rather not have davits at all as we have towed a dinghy for almost 30 years now without a problem, but we understand that towing a dinghy in canals and locks may not be permitted and/or a real pain.

The davits can be removed, if we decide to do so, after our Loop trip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom