Propeller Cage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Below 8 knots and you can hang all kinds of things fro the bottom of your boat without appreciable slowing or fuel consumption...at six knots it would be hard to even find on instrumentation.

And you can get 2800 with a 25 X 19?

We did get that before the cage and got 13.7 kts. Will soon see and report what's what with cage. With the 24 X 22 prop (mistake in previous post) the max rpm was about 2650 and 12.3 (? can't remember exact) kts. The 24 X 22 has now been re-pitched to 24 X 20 and will be kept as a spare.

Last edited:
Walt, let's pull that clean prop of yours and and pound another inch or two into its pitch. I'll bring the beer!!

Walt, let's pull that clean prop of yours and and pound another inch or two into its pitch. I'll bring the beer!!
:D I'm almost certain that I can coax another 3 knots out of the boat with a prop change but as I said earlier, I'm getting Cummins recommended 2800rpm now. I'm also used to the 8.4 knots and the sound of the engine at 2000rpm. At 2400 she will go 9.3 knots but look at the fuel flow. Christ! I'm on a fixed income and have to watch mu Ps & Qs!

Attachments

• Performance Chart.jpg
    Performance Chart.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 105
Walt, if you keep it at 1300, the Coot can comfortably keep pace; 1500 if you want to push her. Everyone else exceeds that on their way in the final stretch to home port!

Bump.

So...how has your cage been holding up?

Just finished installing one on our boat so we have to worry less about pot buoys..
Fast forwarding 5 years.......Do you still have the prop cage on your boat and if so, has it performed well over the years?

Fast forwarding 5 years.......Do you still have the prop cage on your boat and if so, has it performed well over the years?

I look forward to reply. :thumb:

Wow! - 5 yrs. already. :ermm:

Who'd a thunk! :facepalm:

Life moves fast!! :dance:

Still on boat. In perfect condition. Has performed well.

As long as one goes forward and not in reverse, damn the pot buoys!

Still on boat. In perfect condition. Has performed well.

As long as one goes forward and not in reverse, damn the pot buoys!

Good to know.

We have a marine/salmon cannery museum up here and there are stacks of very similarly designed prop cages used by commercial fishing boats on BC's north coast.

Have you ever seen them with a lighter grid pattern to reduce the chance of a propeller sucking line into itself while in reverse? Don't ask how I know this is possible...even with floats and floating line :nonono:

Last edited:
Good to know.
Have you ever seen them with a lighter grid pattern to reduce the chance of a propeller sucking line into itself while in reverse? Don't ask how I know this is possible...even with floats and floating line :nonono:

Not sure what you mean, absent somehow putting a grid on the cage behind the prop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom