Sundeck Models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I appreciate that indeed we may be putting an inordinate amount of emphasis on the possibility of prop damage. After 20 years on submarines, especially having conducted under-ice missions, protecting the screw is deeply ingrained, likely to a fault. The Senator 42 that we looked at had two well protected props and had it not been for what we felt was excessive hull blistering (no attempt to revive that discussion either....our decision was based on nothing more that our comfort with the existing condition) we may have made the move.

If we back off on any of our requirements it will likely be the single engine.

OK, bubblehead, come back to the world of fresh air and fresh vegetables...

signed,

former destroyer (target) sailor....:D

OK, bubblehead, come back to the world of fresh air and fresh vegetables...

signed,

former destroyer (target) sailor....:D

Good advice, thanks shipmate! When I get home I will try to remind to send you photos of a submarine. As a destroyer sailor, I'm sure you never detected nor saw one :)
Let the games begin!

May I recommend... Twin screw / Sundeck - What Fun!! :speed boat:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Close Up Fwd Strm.jpg
    Close Up Fwd Strm.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Taune w- Harlow & Linda on Bridge.jpg
    Taune w- Harlow & Linda on Bridge.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 125
  • Harlow (Lola) on Mstr Strm Berth.jpg
    Harlow (Lola) on Mstr Strm Berth.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 129
Definitely a good suggestion and we will start considering cockpits. Most Sundeck models we've viewed seem to have canvas, or at least the ability to enclose with canvas/screen. Because we expect to spend more than a few nights at anchor in the buggy south we liked the idea of being able to screen the Sundeck area.
Our PO effectively screened the cockpit of our Europa design boat, so it can be done on a non sundeck boat. We have clears cutoffs on zips across the entry to the walk around side decks.
You usually get a great sleeping cabin under the sundeck you won`t get otherwise. However, sundeckers can have a variety of levels and internal stairs. Added windage is a consideration too.
Single or twins? Not a deal breaker for the right boat. I prefer twins but there`s a subject done to death, so not going there.

A lower-profile boat is handier in winds about a dock. ... Do you want a floating apartment or a "boat-boat."

232323232%7Ffp54435%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D395644%3A3%3B2336nu0mrj

Last edited:
A lower-profile boat is handier in winds about a dock. ... Do you want a floating apartment or a "boat-boat."

I'm comfortable in both worlds.

232323232%7Ffp7343%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D38329643%3B8336nu0mrj

There is a 1984 Present 42 Sundeck in south FL that our broker is suggesting that we consider looking at before we leave, but this late in the trip we are reluctant to spend another full day driving. Are there any owners or previous owners of this model who are willing to share their experiences on quality and sea handling of the Present 42?

Have to agree with Tom here. Ours is 36, single Lehman 135, forward cabin queen berth offset with a door and fwd head. We love our boat. Is hard with a big dog to hoist him on and off with the sundeck - that's the only downside for us. Not so bad with the foo-foo dog. We've had ours (boat that is) for 3 years and gradually improving her. Beyond 38 feet is hard but not impossible to find a single. Extremely economical. I've seen Europa cabins which have that nice area to socialize in the pic above. Also good. We have teen daughters, so we appreciate the cabin separation. Good luck with your search!

Attachments

• SandCastle.jpg
    SandCastle.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 117
Cannot agree more on prop protection!!! This is pre-paint, a little ugly, but I completely agree. Your parameters match ours when we were looking. Economics, size, comfort. You're going to be very happy with the boat you ultimately select.

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 145
Have to agree with Tom here. Ours is 36, single Lehman 135, forward cabin queen berth offset with a door and fwd head. We love our boat. Is hard with a big dog to hoist him on and off with the sundeck - that's the only downside for us. Not so bad with the foo-foo dog. We've had ours (boat that is) for 3 years and gradually improving her. Beyond 38 feet is hard but not impossible to find a single. Extremely economical. I've seen Europa cabins which have that nice area to socialize in the pic above. Also good. We have teen daughters, so we appreciate the cabin separation. Good luck with your search!

One of the reasons we chose a cockpit model vessel- there is access into the boat from the sun deck, starboard salon, and the cockpit. We plan on getting another golden retriever, and the cockpit access will make thugs easier...

Not so bad with the foo-foo dog.
I guess we will be in the "not so bad category". The Admiral and Nikki the Wonder Dog...so named because I often wonder if she is a dog.

Attachments

• image-1661898214.jpg
    image-1661898214.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 123
That dog is giving you da "stink eye"......

So is the Admiral...she's mastered the art of stink eye while smiling, especially after I've said something about getting a "real" dog.

The popularity of sundeck models in an Diego is evident.

Attachments

• CCYC Strawberry Cruise 008.jpg
    CCYC Strawberry Cruise 008.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 120
Bear with me guys, first time trying to add a photo. I'm guessin' too many pixels in the photo and it got cropped. The original photo showed 16 boats on our annual Memorial Day raftup, half sailboat and half power with six sundecks. I'm gonna keep tryin'.

Yep. There's nary a sun deck boat in that lot, ancora.

Here we go again, tryin' to the picture right.

Attachments

• CCYC Strawberry Cruise 004 (1024x768).jpg
    CCYC Strawberry Cruise 004 (1024x768).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 112
Here is a bow-on view of the raft-up. We were the first boat "on station" putting us in the middle. Yes, that is Coronado Cays YC in the background.

Attachments

• CCYC Strawberry Cruise 002 (1024x768).jpg
    CCYC Strawberry Cruise 002 (1024x768).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 110
A wide body will give you as much room as the sundeck as that is sort of what they are. A large stern deck is about the same size as a sundeck. However, getting on/off a sun deck to the dock can be difficult. The eagle is a single but I would take a twin over a single. If single make sure it has a bow thruster.

We are members of Southwestern YC and get an annual invitation from Coronado Cays YC to raft-up in the turning basin at Coronado Cays. We have access to their club and enjoyed our annual Bocce Ball tournament,(we lost) name that tune, and a dinghy Pirate Treasure Hunt. We reciprocate and they raft-up at a later date behind our club at La Playa.

The popularity of sundeck models in an Diego is evident.

Thanks for sharing the photos Ancora, you live in a beautiful piece of America. I have many fond memories of my time on Point Loma and boating from Shelter Island, and a few less fond memories of a few weeks of some real "fun" Navy training on Coronado Island.

There is a 1984 Present 42 Sundeck in south FL that our broker is suggesting that we consider looking at before we leave, but this late in the trip we are reluctant to spend another full day driving. Are there any owners or previous owners of this model who are willing to share their experiences on quality and sea handling of the Present 42?

Cobber- We have had our 42 Present Sundeck/ twin 135 Lehmans, since '06. They are great boats. PM me if you want and I can offer you more info.

Our new crewmember Spanky, a Persian/Ragdoll mix, gives his approval of the sundeck configuration.

Attachments

• Spanky 003 (1024x768).jpg
    Spanky 003 (1024x768).jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Spanky 004 (1024x768).jpg
    Spanky 004 (1024x768).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 91
  • Spanky 006 (1024x768).jpg
    Spanky 006 (1024x768).jpg
    88 KB · Views: 83
Well for my 2 cents, look at the 45-55 Californians. Mine is a 48 without a cockpit but the sundeck is massive 15 x 12, truly the heart of the boat. 3 staterooms, 3 heads and a huge salon. As far as handling she's easier to handle than my old 32 convertible. As far as power is concerned and economy I have twin 6-71 DD and a 15KW generator and at 9 kts with the genny running I am at less than 8 gph total. Hard to believe, but I check my numbers every time I fuel up. The best part is if I hav to kick her in the ass she'll pop up to 17-18 kts at 1800rpms and I'm still only burning 18 gph.

sundeck vs cockpit

We consider our Sundeck area as living space. It is enclosed with canvas and we can therefore spend our time there in any kind of weather, enjoying our drop down TV, heater if a cold night, fan on warm days, etc. To each their own, but we personally love an enclosed sundeck. Extra cozy with rugs, etc. Best of luck with your boat hunting. I think a boat will "find you", so look and have fun!

Well for my 2 cents, look at the 45-55 Californians. Mine is a 48 without a cockpit but the sundeck is massive 15 x 12, truly the heart of the boat. 3 staterooms, 3 heads and a huge salon. As far as handling she's easier to handle than my old 32 convertible. As far as power is concerned and economy I have twin 6-71 DD and a 15KW generator and at 9 kts with the genny running I am at less than 8 gph total. Hard to believe, but I check my numbers every time I fuel up. The best part is if I hav to kick her in the ass she'll pop up to 17-18 kts at 1800rpms and I'm still only burning 18 gph.

18kts@18gph versus 9kts@8gph....I think I would just keep her up and running hard!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom