How big a ship must be to cross an ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vessel Name
---
Link: Rower Ralph Tuijn saved after hitting a tanker

Rower Ralph Tuijn Saved After Hitting Tanker

An adventurer rowing from Australia to Africa has had to be rescued after his boat collided with a massive oil tanker.

Dutchman Ralph Tuijn was well into his 5,600 mile (9,000 km), 120-day journey from Western Australia when his boat was swamped after it hit the tanker.

He was rescued from the Indian Ocean early on Friday after sending a distress signal, according to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (Amsa).

"We have recovered him, he is currently on board the merchant vessel," an Amsa spokesman said.

"The master reported that he was injured but we're not sure of the full extent of his injuries just yet."

Ido Hurkmans, who spoke to Tuijn after the collision, said his friend saw the tanker when it was only 300 metres (1,000ft) away which was too late for him to avoid it.

"He was just on a collision course. So he was just like, 'OK I am going to die'," Hurkmans said. "Surviving a crash from a tanker in a small rowing boat is not very likely."

Tuijn, who was in a boat just seven metres (22ft) long, recalled that the tanker had dragged him along for a long time and overturned several times before he broke free.

His friend said he had suspected cracked ribs and a broken finger but was "back on his feet" on the merchant vessel that rescued him as it headed for Nigeria.

Australian authorities said the Dutchman was extremely lucky to have been picked up so soon from his remote location in the middle of the ocean.

"It's a pretty well-travelled stretch of water but often merchant vessels can be three or four days away and this one was only a couple of hours away," the spokesman said.

Tuijn, who has previously rowed the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, left the Cocos Islands on May 5.

Another friend, Geoff Charters, insisted he would bounce back from the traumatic experience.

"He's a very experienced ocean rower and has dealt with a lot of different dangers on the ocean including lightning storms ... I think that was the worst," Mr Charters said.

"He's been attacked by sharks and had close encounters with tankers on the Pacific."

Attachments

• blog_ralph_tuijn_dbvadvocaten.jpg
    blog_ralph_tuijn_dbvadvocaten.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 371
One would think he would have some sort of sun shade on the boat. 120 days of rowing in the sun would surely give you cancer.

One would think he would have some sort of sun shade on the boat. 120 days of rowing in the sun would surely give you cancer.

:) I think this was NOT his biggest worry. In the collision he broke 2 ribs and a finger, he tried to repair his boat but due to his injuries he failed and after a time he accepted help from the tanker.

PS. yes at the time off the collision he used an AIS Transponder.

Cees

Last edited:
I don't know guys, but how in the hell do you hit a tanker in the middle of the ocean? He is rowing a small boat and didn't see or hear the ship?

I just don't get it. The 1st rule is, the big ship wins.

I don't know guys, but how in the hell do you hit a tanker in the middle of the ocean? He is rowing a small boat and didn't see or hear the ship?

I just don't get it. The 1st rule is, the big ship wins.

Not if you're asleep.:facepalm:

Single handers must sleep sometime:whistling:
But I do wonder why his radar detector and AIS alarm did not warn him in time.

Not if you're asleep.:facepalm:

Single handers must sleep sometime:whistling:
But I do wonder why his radar detector and AIS alarm did not warn him in time.

yep, he was asleep.

Cees

How big a ship must be to cross an ocean
It's not the size of the boat that matters, it's the design.
I once met a man who crossed the Atlantic in a boat less than six feet long.
He didn't seem crazy.

Thanks for the answer. I didn't realize he was sleeping, guess I should have read the article better.

One would think he would have a warning system onboard for such a long journey. I'm glad he is safe.

This guy almost became a Darwin Award winner!

You just can't fix stupid, though he tried hard.

You know your number is almost up when you're 5,000 miles from nowhere... and a tanker runs you over.

Occasionally, rowers run into things. It's rarely caught on camera, but it happens.

img_159933_0_b7e37e7da4bb68f4d3138ac5594d8914.jpg

img_159933_1_68b6b6145dda8a5e057144c71b4832bd.jpg

img_159933_2_b9f2a8024efe139102ecc67078b3d451.jpg

Speaking of running into things at sea. One spring years ago two sailboats in the Santa Monica Bay hit head on under full sail. Both skippers were laying in their cockpits not looking because there were no other boats anywhere. I think they were both in the mid 30' range. It made the news.

Lets see....a Dutchman from Australia...sleeping...hit by a TANKER...a coincidence that one of the cities in Australia is called DARWIN ? I think not...LMAO

This is getting better by the post. :thumb:

Mea culpa! :facepalm: Yes it was and I immediately sent him my sincere apology. I just couldn't help myself. :banghead:

Now I'm sitting here waiting for the payback....:eek:

I'm surprised he didn't get stuck in the mud before getting that close!

Al, that was mean.....

Yes, maybe, but it doesn't actually show Mark striking it. It could be he was just wanting a closer look at the sign on the marker buoy..?

I didn't hit the marker!, thanks to warnings from my buddies on dock. Can't imagine the catastrophe that would otherwise have resulted! And the tide was high and the Trinka draws little!

I was a bit disappointed of the removal of the shopping cart in the middle of the western channel of the turning basin. It surely helped to assess water height/depth.

(Al, for yesterday's lunch on the Coot, Perla drank the Lagunitas IPA you handed me on our Petaluma trip. Ran out of Cokes! I had water.)

232323232%7Ffp54385%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3957%3A678%3B%3B336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Ray said "I want one!"

232323232%7Ffp54358%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D395872%3C7%3C7336nu0mrj

Back in the day we picked 3 survivors out of the water in Southampton, UK after their sailboat thought a tanker running into Fawley terminal would give way to sail.

I know a guy who sailed INTO an anchored ship, on a sunny afternoon. It left a mark on the sailboat... Guy on the helm was engrossed with setting waypoints on his handheld gps.

In considering the tanker's role in this, how is it that the rowboat was not spotted by the tanker and avoided? The captain of the tanker could surely have taken the precaution as the target was seen on the radar. Despite its small size, such an object spotted on the radar of a tanker can be construed as a semi-submerged container or floating debris and trigger appropriate precautionary measures.

I say this with a lack of familiarity with protocols commercial ships follow in such situations. It is more of a common sense thought than one of whether protocols were followed.

Back
Top Bottom