Style-break boats, Duh?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I first saw the drawings for the Roughwater 58, I thought.....That's really odd.....Especially for Ed Monk, a designer I have great respect for. Then I eventually learned that the boat is based on a disused Fishboat mold found in a Taiwan field. Monk only bobbed the stern and drew a house and arrangement, which (IMO) he did a decent job of.

View attachment 19632

View attachment 19633

That is one of the better picture of the hull shape as most are the bottom painted black. I think that is the Swan Song that crosseded to Hawaii and is for sale. As near as I can tell o.only 7 were made and 5 still exist. The 58 was made in the same yard as the Krogan. Each has a different state room lay out.

Phil,

I really am grateful for the hauled pic of the RW. It's a very interesting hull form for a yacht (in my opinion) and I've not seen another.

Actually the idea of having to live in a D.D. is way too much like a lot of sailboats.. just a bit too cave like. Lots of boats have great visibility from the inside out while still maintaining decent window protection. Yes the N57 is a great boat .. but out of reach for most of us ( me included ). It rains
( dumps 1/2" - 3/4" ) every afternoon here for at least three hours and I expect it to get worse in Panama, Life in a duck would be less than great.. unless you huddle under a boom tarp on the back deck.
HOLLYWOOD

I am going to have to agree with you here. Let the record show that I do think the DD is a handsome boat. BUT, what "forced" me from a sailboat to a trawler was exactly this. The "cave effect" and that is what I have always called it. The straw that broke the camels back was one early afternoon while anchor out on a beautiful February day in Texas. We saw a cloud coming...and it wasn't meteorological. It was MOSQUITOES!!!! So we were trapped inside the boat for the rest of the day and into the night and next morning. I thought I was gonna go crazy.

Anyway, Hollywood, I do not think that was the gist of this thread. We are talking exterior design here. Not interior comfort as it relates to natural light. But I am in full agreement with you in that regard. And also one of the reasons I sought out a flybridge boat for this time around. A flybridge usually offers a big salon. But it is all in how you want to use your boat. The DD makes for a very decent passagemaker on a relatively small budget as it compares to a Nordhavn.

Phil/Fill - once again I have to respectfully disagree. Yours is not even close to being an ugly boat. The Manatee .. OK, I'll concede that one. But not the RW 58.

Well, Phil: No matter how much you say it, the Eagle just doesn't go on the list of ugly boats. The only validation you have at all is the fact that I like the Eagle, and I do have a reputation for liking ugly boats.:rolleyes:

If I think the Eagle is ugly, what more do I need to say? I mean it in a nice way! :flowers: However ugly can sort of grow on you. You just have to look past the ugly points. Actually, we bought the Eagle for the interior lay out and room. Once in side it’s not so bad as least we do not have to look at the ugly out side.

One of the first thing I was going to do is take off the wantabe forward slanting arch or at least turn it around. But after 17 years it still there. :nonono: The stern is butt ugly, but it has a big protect stern deck. 8 ft by 13 ft. The hull is basically straight up and down, and so is the superstructure. The only salvation is the teak trim that breaks up it up. :thumb: Otherwise it would be a up/down plain UGLIER boat.

Anyway we spent most of the time/funds on the interior glamed, solftened and warmed up as the interior was worse than the exterior stark, shippy and cold. :nonono:

Ya know Phil - Guess I never mentioned this before... but... IMHO, from first time I saw her in picts, I think your RW 58' is a real good looking "rough water" capable craft, i.e. designed to take it when the going gets really rough and tough! After all... she is an Ed Monk design, is she not? I'm very attracted to Monk designs for several reasons... an important one is their hull/superstructure/COG design features. I’d be pleased to be aboard your boat in steep seas! :thumb:

That is one of the better picture of the hull shape as most are the bottom painted black. I think that is the Swan Song that crosseded to Hawaii and is for sale. As near as I can tell o.only 7 were made and 5 still exist. The 58 was made in the same yard as the Krogan. Each has a different state room lay out.

I just realized that Swan Song was the one fitted with a Flume Tank stabilizer which the owner claimed was excellent. I would guess the tank was fitted after the 1999 photos as it's not evident there......

Phil's is one of fewer than 10 built. Here's a quote from Hal Paris:

Hal Paris interview…Below are the actual words Hal Paris gave me on the Roughwater 58

I saw the big hull mold lying in a field alongside the Chen Hwa boat yard. I got the plans and sent them to Ed Monk Sr. and asked if he could redesign the hull into a pleasure boat? Monk trimmed her down in the stern and made a nice looking boat. Monk did not design the hull, only the superstructure. Less than 10 of these were built. The original fishing boat was designed to be carried aboard a mother ship and then put in the water for fishing.

From the Roughwater site:

Roughwater Boats, Trawlers, Ed Monk, Monk Design,Boats, Cruisers, Puget Sound, Diesel Trawlers, Trawlers, Roughwater

I think there is one in Hawaii for sale at this time.

Last edited:
hustler,

The only thing I'd want to change on the Manatee visually is that round port window fwd on the side.

Here is a boat that many in Puget Sound will remember. And for those that don't remember it served as a ferry from the Everett Harbor to Jetty Island just across the river. Somebody bought her and has been using the old Holiday as a livaboard.

Actually, the Holiday ran between Everett and Hat Island for many many years. I rode her a few times going to our property over there and also years ago while building the fire station. Coast Guard finally put an end to that.

I heard whe was now in Alaska.

I just realized that Swan Song was the one fitted with a Flume Tank stabilizer which the owner claimed was excellent. I would guess the tank was fitted after the 1999 photos as it's not evident there......

yes. I think I have some pictures, general plan and along technical paper I do not understand. Years ago I was thinking of building one has its a box with baffles that time the water back and forth to counter the roll. It ismounted on top of the pilot house. He spoke very positive of it.

I don't think Phils or Healhustlers boats are ugly. I like them for different reasons. Roughwaters have good lines, somewhat blocky but it gives them character.
The Manatees are not trying to be " everything to all people". The appeal of these boats are lots of interior room and low horsepower requirements. Who couldn't imagine themselves holed up in a quiet cove at anchor?

I found the picture and some innormation on ART - anti rolling tank.

It was mounted on top of the pilot house, 12 ft X 4 ft X 16" with 1500 lbs of water.

Looks simple, so wondering why more boats do not have an ART?:confused:

Attachments

• Art - anto roling tank.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I found the picture and some innormation on ART - anti rolling tank.

It was mounted on top of the pilot house, 12 ft X 4 ft X 16" with 1500 lbs of water.

Looks simple, so wondering why more boats do not have an ART?:confused:

Phil - Maybe it's my puter... but, I can't open your "ART" link. With acronym ART - Can't be all bad! :rofl: :dance:

I got the attachment to open but its not clear enough to read.

I don't mind a bit of a mix in style lines as long as there is a purpose to it. I'm a big fan of style by functionality. My favourite boat on TF would probably be your Coot, Mark. To me - It has complete purpose in its form.

Your Manatee doesn't sit as well with me, healhustler, but its not the mix of lines. It just seems a bit overinflated. What air pressure are you running in your cabin?;)

I am a fan of Diesel Ducks though. There functionality is obvious. My boat has some vague similarities in overall looks, although not in quality of design/build.

Your Manatee doesn't sit as well with me, healhustler, but its not the mix of lines. It just seems a bit overinflated. What air pressure are you running in your cabin?;)

LOLROF: Great analogy, AusCan. The air pressure is dependent on how many guests I have at the moment.:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom