EddyB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EddyB

Vessel Name
La paloma
Vessel Make
Monk 1989
I am looking at a 1989 Monk 36 built by Overseas Yachts-Taiwan the previous owner say's there are numerous blisters and the old survey has mentioned uniform blisters, this would be my first trawler.
Does anyone have knowledge of this boat year and manufacturer and Blisters in general..

Thanks EddyB

We have a 1989 PT52 Overseas yachtfisher. Our was made in the Kha Shing yards in Taiwan as a custom build.

Overall, Pau Hana is a very stout and capable vessel. The previous owner owned her for 19 years, and had reported a few blisters; being anal, he decided to have the bottom stripped and barrier coated.

Eddy,
The Monk 36 is a great, great boat. We just sold ours that we restored and owned for the last 3 years. When we bought ours she had numerous small blisters- looked like she had chicken pox. :) For the price point boat the older Monk's are in, I can't see spending the $$ for a bottom peal and barrier coat...couldn't tell you the # of boats I've seen do that only to have blisters again a couple of years later. We hauled our Monk out of the water, ground them out, let them dry, epoxied in where they had been, and then new bottom paint. 3 years later when we just sold her she had maybe 4-5 small blisters that were not a big deal at all. Small, hard blisters that are dry do no concern me personally...it's when they get to be larger blisters over a golf ball size or bigger that you can start getting into delamination issues. As one marina yard manager friend of mine put it, "I've not seen a boat sink from blisters but I've seen lots of price negotiation because of them." :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom