Hawaiian in the PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottlb

Vessel Name
Simply Hawaiian
Vessel Make
1986 Bayliner 3870
Hello to all from the PNW. I have spent time on the BOC and IboatNW forums, and through them found this one. I am a retired airline pilot (2years retired after 41 years) and am enjoying the "low & slow" life. My wife & I are from Hawaii, and moved up to the Northwest 7 years ago mostly for job reasons (I was an instructor doing training in Renton, WA) and have decided to hang around for a few more years. We do spend most of our winter time back on the Big Island with the kids, but summers up here usually with a contingent of grandkids boating. We started out with a Sea Ray 250 a few years ago, and then moved up to our current boat, a Bayliner 3870. It really gave us the best bang for the buck, and we enjoy cruising the Salish sea with her. I have been messing about in boats on & off for the better part of 40 years, mostly sail boats while living in Hawaii, with a fishing boat or two thrown in. At this stage of my life, sailing has become too much work, so I have given in to the motoring life. I'm a gadget freak, and love tinkering & messing with stuff. Just wish I had some "building" skills to go along with my electronics & mechanical abilities. Wood & I just don't seem to get along.

Sorry for being long-winded....looking forward to following everyones adventures.

Welcome! Perhaps we'll see you out on the water this season. Enjoy!

Welcome! Great place to be and lots of cruising opportunities for you.

Welcome, I was born in Hakalau, a sugar plantation near Hilo on the Big Island. My family left when I was 4. As an adult I have been back many times on business. I worked in the pineapple and sugar industries, almost pau in the islands now.

..... Bayliner 3870. It really gave us the best bang for the buck, and we enjoy cruising the Salish sea with her.

I'm a gadget freak, and love tinkering & messing with stuff. Just wish I had some "building" skills to go along with my electronics & mechanical abilities. Wood & I just don't seem to get along.
Welcome, Scott! You're 3870 is really in demand down here. I know what you mean about the "building skills" thing. I suffer from the same malady. The Salish Sea, huh? I just love that area! Good luck to you both and visit frequently.

Welcome from another 3870 owner on the upper Mississippi.

A mainland aloha to ya. I agree....it's hard to find more bang than the 3870.

Scott- welcome from another BOCer! This site is different from the BOC, and perfectly suited to your new cruising lifestyle.

See you on the water!

Thank You!

To all: Thanks for the welcome here. Now to finish up the prep for the coming season before it's gone!:D
Pete: I've been following your progression of boats for awhile now on BOC. Sounds like you finally got settled for awhile.

Yup - we've found the perfect boat for us, and am now focusing on fixing the gripes normal to a 1989 vessel (example- I just learned how to bend my own windshield venturis vice pay $1k for have a shop do them) - and rebuilding the dinghy (13' Whaler).

Next time you're in Seattle, touch base and come over for a brew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom