Northern California Dreamin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
To avoid thread creep on the "When Are The Seas Just Too Rough" thread, I've reposted Walt's comment here.

We need to spend more time in the SF Bay!

Al, Mark, Ray, Craig, PG and others:

To even consider spending more time in SF Bay, without having to do a long cruise, speaks to the great cruising ground you guys have up there. To cruise salt water in surroundings such as SF Bay and then rinse the cooling system with fresh water ((Without pulling the boat out or going through a lock) is pretty damn neat! Not to mention covered slips and rates that are ridiculous when compared to San Diego. I'm envious! ( But not enough to leave S.D.)

You're right, Walt. We're very fortunate to have such a diverse and vast estuary at our fingertips. Next week a group of us including markpierce and Giggitoni are heading up the Petaluma River to spend 3 relaxing days taking in the local sights, sounds and flavors. My best friend, Gene, is also joining us in his 42 Jefferson Sun Deck ACMY.

Gene and I have a 5 hr trip to Vallejo on Monday, then we all go 4 hrs into Petaluma on Tuesday morning. We're bringing our bicycles and will take a tasting tour of the Lagunitas Brewery on Wed. (I don't plan to mix the two!) I hope to post some pics on this thread when we return.

I'm also eager to return to Angel Island now that the weather has warmed. Once there, I'll have little excuse for not heading out the Gate.

The Delta will be warming up soon, in more ways than one. I'm planning a 10 day stretch around the July 4th festivities in the company of thousands! Mandeville Tip is the place to be for the Hilton family-sponsored fireworks. It's a multi-day melee and always a good time. Dswizzler is sure to be there and I hope other TFers can join in the fun. I plan to start out in the thick of it all near Dswizzler and other friends, but plan to pull back into the open anchorage as the crowds become more rowdy and boisterous. Pics to follow.

Unfortunately, thanks to our federal financial mismanagement, the San Francisco Fleet Week has been cancelled for 2013. So it looks like I'll be halibut fishing that week!

Come on up and join in the fun, SeaHorse II! You just might like it enough to leave America's Finest City!!

Sorry to hear that Fleet Week has been cancelled we loved hanging out for Fleet Week and being buzzed by all sorts of aircraft in the bay.

That even would have been great with the Americas Cup final around the same time.

Fortunately, we enjoyed the 2012 SF Bay Fleet Week with Al and Meg on FlyWright.

img_157527_0_1b886ed8b0ba6ca0a80d22e158c7e0cc.jpg

Sometime this summer I'm taking the Coot to Pt. Richmond for engine and paint maintenance. Hope this can be arranged so it won't interfere with an Angel Island cruise with the fellas and gals.

Speaking of Americas Cup. Any of you plan on joining the crowd watching from the water? Wife and I are considering it and would like to know a good anchorage near the action.

Mandeville Tip is a given for the fireworks. We'll hook up for that Al.

Last edited:
We enjoyed the action last year too, gwkiwi. Including your close pass. The America's Cup 45 footers were racing in the "World Series" races and it was fun to watch them so close, but probably nothing like the AC72's coming this summer/fall.

I don't currently have plans for this year's AC finals. It'll be a frenetic mob scene with everyone trying to get close enough for a good look. I like the TV coverage and get more from that.

Mark, it was great being able to do that together last year. There's always 2014! If it's on for 2014, I'll be there again!!! I'll probably want to start the AI trip on a Wed or Thurs so we can get a mooring. I'd love to spend 4-5 days there.

Craig, glad you're going to make it for the 4th. It should be a great time. You have 6 weeks to get your dinghy set up! Better have the boys start rigging up some long distance water guns.

I don't currently have plans for this year's AC finals. It'll be a frenetic mob scene with everyone trying to get close enough for a good look. I like the TV coverage and get more from that.

Mark, it was great being able to do that together last year. There's always 2014! If it's on for 2014, I'll be there again!!! I'll probably want to start the AI trip on a Wed or Thurs so we can get a mooring. I'd love to spend 4-5 days there.

Al, I agree with your view on the AC.

If conditions are favorable, we should take a ten-hour adventure to/from the Farallon Islands or at least the five hours for the 12-mile-outside-the-gate navigational buoy while based at Angel Island.

Farallon Islands | Ask.com Encyclopedia

Last edited:
Twelve miles? Might as well head down the coast to Half Moon Bay (Pillar Point). That's about 18 miles from mile rock. I'm ready!

Twelve miles? Might as well head down the coast to Half Moon Bay (Pillar Point). That's about 18 miles from mile rock. I'm ready!

Whatever! But should stay overnight at HMB.

Back
Top Bottom