36 volts to a 32 volt system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talonewo

Vessel Name
Shintullah
Vessel Make
55' 1978 Defever
I’m considering putting three 12 volt batteries to my 32 volt system for a onetime 500 mile trip. I assume after the initial discharge the alternator and battery charger will only charge to 32 volts, would you agree?

That was not a clear post, here is a little more info. There are no batteries on the boat now, 8 volt 4D’s are twice as much as 12v 4D’s…since I know I’m going to convert to 24v I would rather not buy the 8 volt batteries. I don’t have time to convert the entire 32v system to 24v before I move it. This may be a mute question; … the boat has not been used in 7 years and I have not seen it in 7 months… if when I get back to the boat the 32v bilge pumps and fuel transfer pumps work then I will leave it 32v and deal with it when I get to Texas… if they don’t I will replace them with 24v pumps for the trip, thus I would have to convert the starter and alternator to 24v before I depart… if I do that, the windlass would still be 32volt… would you make a 500 mile trip with 24v to a 32volt windlass?

I assume after the initial discharge the alternator and battery charger will only charge to 32 volts, would you agree?

A 32 volt system charges at just a hair over 36 volts so you should be OK. Don't waste a bunch of money on gexpensivebatteries because the chronic undercharge won't do them much good.

If you can find some "used but good" batteries for the trip it might be worth the search.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom