Free ABYC Boat Checks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The link with surveyors looks like it's more of a survey/insurance angle than the annual safety check. It's gonna cost somebody something before it's all said and done....and that somebody will be boat owners.

it's free, you don't have to take their advice.

Agreed. However, if they tell you something does not meet their ABYC standards it doesn't necessarily mean that it needs correcting. Besides who would you get to repair to ABYC standards.

I think it is kind of amusing. It reminds me of how motorcycle drivers used to have the "bad boy" image, rebels on Harleys, Hell's Angels.

Well, the plastic hammer whack-a-hull guys have been subjected to a lot of flack in recent years too. Sales have dropped off, lawsuits have increased and the market is flooded with alphabet heavy "surveyors" and ABYC "certified technicians" who worked on the fuel dock for a few months before buying a cram course in whatever specialty they found interesting or affordable.

So ... just as a clever marketing team turned Hell's Angels into uber-patriots thundering down the highway in the name of one heart tugging cause or another to which a flag and a bike could be attached, now the alphabet clans have figured out that "public service" is the way to go. It's a foot in your door that kind of reminds me of the door to door evangelists.

At least the Jehovah's Witnesses aren't in a position to influence your insurance company.

SAMS NAMS AMS USSA ... the growing list of unregulated entrepreneurs running a new marketing approach "up the flagpole" so to speak.

Do you guys do a lot of class surveys?

I think it is kind of amusing. It reminds me of how motorcycle drivers used to have the "bad boy" image, rebels on Harleys, Hell's Angels.

Well, the plastic hammer whack-a-hull guys have been subjected to a lot of flack in recent years too. Sales have dropped off, lawsuits have increased and the market is flooded with alphabet heavy "surveyors" and ABYC "certified technicians" who worked on the fuel dock for a few months before buying a cram course in whatever specialty they found interesting or affordable.

So ... just as a clever marketing team turned Hell's Angels into uber-patriots thundering down the highway in the name of one heart tugging cause or another to which a flag and a bike could be attached, now the alphabet clans have figured out that "public service" is the way to go. It's a foot in your door that kind of reminds me of the door to door evangelists.

At least the Jehovah's Witnesses aren't in a position to influence your insurance company.

Right on the "money". I blame the insurance companies for legitimizing the SAMS/NAMS hammer scammers. I've spoken with SAMS management about the conduct and views of one of their surveyors and got nothing but a run-around. ABYC is the "law" as far as these organizations are concerned, and they hide behind the insurance companies. I wouldn't let them near my boat, even for a "free" inspection. The not so clever gambit used against unsuspecting owners...."Sir, did you know that insurance companies ask us to use ABYC criteria in our surveys? Yes, indeed....and your boat is not in compliance to the latest iteration. Oh by the way, I have a highly regarded acquaintance who can help you with the problem.....as a matter of fact, the yard associated with this marina can fix you right up...by the way, who is your insurance carrier..."

Last edited:
Jeez guys, just some honest guys trying to make a buck or two or maybe three.

Empire Building!
The only way to grow your industry in the 21st century.

If you have a boat older it might be beneficial to have an ABCY inspection. At least you will know what should be done and then it's up to you if you want to comply. We had an insurance audit/survey about 5+ years, which I found very helpful and make the boat a lot safer. The main focal was on the Electrical wiring, AC and DC, which they recommend additional breakers, fuses, ground faults out lets, smoke alarms, CO alarms, eliminated stacking, additional propane alarm, fire extinguishers, and some clean up.

The biggest recomendation was adding a double throw breaker between the AC shore power plug and the main AC selector switch. The main AC power panel selector switch is a cause of electrical fires. Many boat do not have a breaker.
Anyway, I did 80% of the recommendations, in our case insruance required and had a marine electrician do 20% and approve/check my work. :socool:

Last years had an in water survey and I ask the surveyor based on the ABYC code for Insurance purposes. He did find some items which was included in the report which I fixed that week end. To me its like having a physical check up so at least you know. Anyway I sleep a lot better. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom