Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wfleenor

Vessel Name
Double-Wide
Vessel Make
49ft Custom Power Catamaran
So after several years of suffering through building to the launch of the boat, does my full-dsiplacement catamaran (approximately 50k-55k lbs) qualify as a trawler for this site?

Attachments

• off the ground.jpg
    off the ground.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 90
  • touch down.jpg
    touch down.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 78
  • from the water.jpg
    from the water.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 93
Nope! Get off the site. We don't want your kind.......

WOW!!! Cool! Tell us more about it. I see what looks like wave piercing hulls, tell me more about those. Engines? Amenities on board? I don't see any mast yet. Electronics going on the roof? Give us all the details.

Oh, and if you hadn't figured it out, I was just kidding on the first line. You probably couldn't see my silly grin when I wrote it.

Ken

You can see the beginnig to launch here:
http://cid-981a4ebf7ab5aaca.skydrive.live.com/albums.aspx

Mast and electronics is yet to come.* It has dual 300hp Cummins diesels, a 16kW NorthernLights generator and full size kitchen appliances.* Not really wave-piercing hulls, just a trick called z-bows which lengthen the LWL without increasing to LOA.* The hill length to hull beam ratio is actually pretty small with the hulls just over 6-ft at the water line.

LWL is just under 45-ft with a LOA of 48-ft.* The beam is just over 23-ft.* There is 6ft-6inches headroom throughout, except the engines rooms, which are just over 6-ft.* There is a scary amount of storage room inside, but if you look closely you can see that there is about 12,000 more lbs until the water line is reached and the bow is currently up.

Ypu can see more from the builder at http://www.pacificexpedition.com/

A few questions:
<ul>[*]Only 25 tons? [*]Were you able to weigh it? [*]Why so much freeboard?[*]Depth below water line?[/list]

We weighed it with load cells (4) prior to launch and then the crane had a load cell as well.* It weighed 46800lbs at launch and has about 6 more inches capacity or 12000 lbs so it will be close to 60000lbs full load.

Freeboard is a function of the design where the main deck is*7 steps (49 inches) above the swim step (another 10 inches above the water) then the foredeck is another 4 steps (28 inches) plus a drain angle to the bow for a total of about 7.5 ft above the water at the foredeck.

The painted water line is 36 inches above the hull bottom plus another 14 inches to the keel bottom.

I guess it depends on how many you want to count.* There is a main deck that includes the 2 staterooms, galley and saloon.* The pilot house is 45 inches above the main deck.* The heads are 54 inches below the main deck and the engine and mechanical rooms are 90 inches below the main deck.* That makes for 4, but you could also count the boat deck (where the dinghy is located) (about 90 inches above the main deck) and the flybridge (about 126 inches above the main deck).* I guess you could also count the swim steps and foredeck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom