Fishing while cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hurry Knot

How many of you fish during your trips? I can understand dragging baits while making long crossings, but what about while in an anchorage or while exploring with the dink? If you do fish, how do you handle the fishing license issue while traveling and crossing state lines?

As for offshore, I think outside waters vary in different states between 3 miles (Louisiana) and 9 miles (Texas/Florida gulf). Would a license be needed at all in international waters?

I'm a big fisherman and I would think it would be fun to slip off at the end of the day to try and find a few fish for the grill or freezer. Or if weather permits, leave the ICW in certain areas to fish nearby bottom fishing hotspots. Does anyone do this?

Would love to hear your stories.

I fish during cruises. Mostly for bottom fish when the seasons are open. Also troll for salmon if we're in a good area, deep for kings, shallow for silvers. And we do a lot of crabbing. I use the Livingston for all of this-- a GB is worthless for the kinds of fishing we do around here in my opinion. It's too fast even at idle, which isn't good for the engines anyway, and it's way too big and clumsy to work close-in to rocks, narrow passages, big kelp beds, next to cliffs, etc.

I usually keep a pair of my favorite rods (Penn International 30s on stand up rods) ready. I have been known to stop and troll down good weed lines. When at anchor, the dinghy is deployed as a fishing vessel.

img_154327_0_184069fed147b94ca969629ae65ee544.jpg

I usually bring a medium trolling rod ans a couple of inshore rods but never wind up using them I buy a fishing lic. in Florida always with the hope of catching something but so far have only fished for about an hours time too much other stuff going on or unfavorable weather.
I have a fishing camp in Cocodrie south of Houma La, Hurry Knot will know where that is and about the fishing there, so am probably a bit spoiled.

Marin...how do you fish deep for Kings in your Livingston? Do you use a downrigger? We have a "new to us" Tollycraft 44 and it does have a mount for a downrigger, so am assuming the previous owner did do some fishing, however, I agree that idle speed is too fast and not good for the engines for a long period of time. I have a small Zodiac dinghy I could possibly use, but still not sure how to get down deep even using a dipsy diver. Maybe try mooching???

Unfortunately, we are in the central Puguet Sound (Poulsbo), so there is not much opportunity to do any bottom fishing and reading the Washington State Fishing Regulations, which takes several evening readings, there are only a few times one can bottom fish in the San Juan's.

I have a small Scotty downrigger for the Livingston and a battery powered depth sounder/fish finder (Huminbird) that mounts on the transom of the dinghy. Depending on the fish depth I sometimes use a "deep diver" on the line instead of the downrigger.

For bottom fish (ling cod and halibut when in season) I use Spyderwire, a 1 pound weight, and a halibut spreader.

Last edited:
How many of you fish during your trips?

One of the primary reasons for my boat trips.

My boat always has at least 4 rods on board. Big fishing trip planned for next week. Photo's to follow. Hopefully I'll need the wide angle lens.

No fishing licences required for salt water fishing in Australia, although we do have bag and size limits.

I caught this big boy on a skirted ballyhoo surface trolling off Key Largo last week. Good eatin’. KJ

Attachments

• FRESH DINNER.jpg
    FRESH DINNER.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 104
  • YUMMY!.jpg
    YUMMY!.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 104
For me my max speed is 8K which is good for wahoo, kings, and dolphin here in florida. If I start catching bonita just need to drop back about 100 to 200 RPM's.

AusCan;

My boat always has at least 4 rods on board. Big fishing trip planned for next week. Photo's to follow. Hopefully I'll need the wide angle lens.

No fishing licences required for salt water fishing in Australia, although we do have bag and size limits.

Alas, not so for us New South Welshmen, we've had licences for quite a while now.

Errm ya need a license over here too mate :-/.
The Western Australian bloody bastard Government w@nkers would put a license on taking a piss if they could!! Grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Last edited:
"Alas, not so for us New South Welshmen, we've had licences for quite a while now."
"Errm ya need a license over here too mate :-/. "

Well - that's a shock. It must be just us free settlers in South Australia that don't need a licence.

"Alas, not so for us New South Welshmen, we've had licences for quite a while now."
"Errm ya need a license over here too mate :-/. "

Well - that's a shock. It must be just us free settlers in South Australia that don't need a licence.

Either that or the size of the fish down there aren't worth sh!t so they feel sorry for ya?? Lol Ooooo interstate rivalry lol

Although, I know you guys have some big whites down there. I'm planning on diving with them to see some!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom