Running shoe, making large wake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look at the original picture ...you can make a 90 degree course change and take this wakes on your bow?...

232323232%7Ffp7348%3A%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D39495%3A4%3A92336nu0mrj

Mark, is that my wake in the picture with me in your 10:00 position out of frame?

If so, it gives you an idea of how close he passed to me...barely a boat length. Not enough time or room to make the turn to port, and Coot and the shore to stbd preventing a stbd turn.

The wake from a boat passing us close in the same direction as in the original photo we would take on our stern quarter by turning away from it a bit. Chip is correct in that making a near 90 degree turn to take that wake bow-on is not practical or possible.

The only times we have turned to take a wake from a same-direction boat on the bow is when it's been one of the aforementioned plowing sleds like a big Bayliner, Tollycraft, etc. and the resulting wake is simply monstrous. Then we do everything we need to do to take their near-vertical wave faces bow-on rather than on the stern quarter.

But for the wakes of boats passing us going the other direction or crossing us we always take it on the bow, usually at an angle of 20 to 30 degrees off the waves (as opposed to 45). At this angle the boat mostly pitches. There is very little to no rolling.

Last edited:
Yes, in the perfect world I would take every wake on the bow. But....it ain't perfect and sometimes it's best to show it your backside.

Taking a wake head on is not good at all. Gonn'a get slammed for sure that way.

If you take a wake at a shallow angle that's off from perfectly aligned (as in aligned w the wake waves) there will be an angle that will produce no rolling at all. Say you turned slightly to port. took the first wave on the port chine and the boat rolls a bit CW. Then AC until the port chine contacts the 2nd wave. At that instant the 1st wave is under stbd stern quarter and each time a wave tries to push up the port chine fwd it's balanced by the next wave under the stbd stern quarter. So when ever a wave is under a corner of the boat there is a wave under the other corner of the boat and no rolling results. The trick is to guess what angle will produce wave support under opposite corners of the boat. Basically for very small boat wakes (that have wake waves very close together) just off from broadside works best. Or even broadside for some. As the distance between the waves get longer from bigger boats the ideal crossing angle gets wider and wider but for most wakes a fairly shallow angle is best. You can see it and feel it. If a wake rocks your boat you've got the wrong angle and there's no wave under your outboard (looking back from where you came from) quarter. It takes practice to get fairly good at guessing the angle.

When you get it right it's like magic. All those waves passing under your boat and she moves not at all.

I'll have to concur with Eric on that one.....and I try to do exactly that. Trouble is that on routes like the ACICW, there are places so narrow between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale, for example, where there is no option but to eat the wakes on the beam. To turn into a wake, one is likely to get broad-sided by the guy chasing him, and in my weekend ICW transits these last couple of months, I'm sometimes passed by as many as six boats at a time, with three on each side. My boat takes wakes equally well from bow or stern, but sometimes the only choice is to just hold on.

We see that every time we leave the marina and get outside the no wake zone. Channel is narrow for about 2 miles and tons of traffic on the weekends (largest East Coast SeaRay dealer is on our river). The Tug certainly takes it better than the sailboat. We usually shoot for 45 degrees of the bow, but often can't make the turn due to traffic. That is when I shout "hold on." At least it serves to keep any gunk from forming on the bottom of the tanks. The worst experience we ever had was on a day with no traffic, so plenty of room for a pass, and a guy in a large sport fisher came so close to the sailboat that we were drawn into his propwash. That was good for the pucker factor. And, of course, he did so with all smiles and a big friendly wave . . .

What we are really talking about is courtesy and performing a slow, coordinated pass. Those are two things we don't often experience here.

ANd please tell me what that is? I am usually the "waker". I do my very best to contact the "wakee" on the radio. 9 times out of 10 I cannot raise them on the radio. I still try to give a slow wake pass. BUT IT IS PRETTY DAMN HARD TO PASS A BOAT WITH NO WAKE WHEN THAT WAKEE IS GOING 7 KNOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF YOU EVER SEE A LARGE POWERBOAT SLOW DOWN IN AN EFFORT TO PROVIDE YOU A COURTEOUS PASS, PLEASE RETURN THE FAVOR BY REDUCING YOUR POWER TO MINIMUM STEERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a big annual event down here called the "Spring Fling". It is mostly sailboats...hundreds of them....and they all end up in the ICW strewn out for 50 miles. I do not want to go sailboat speed for 50 friggin miles!!! SO I mentioned to the guy that was running the skipper's to mention the proper way to "accept" a slow pass.....and he looked at me like I had 3 heads. Completely lost on him!!!

If anything can deal with the wake from a passing fast boat it's a sailboat. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just open it up and go.

ANd please tell me what that is?

IF YOU EVER SEE A LARGE POWERBOAT SLOW DOWN IN AN EFFORT TO PROVIDE YOU A COURTEOUS PASS, PLEASE RETURN THE FAVOR BY REDUCING YOUR POWER TO MINIMUM STEERAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though you were yelling:), you've demonstrated how to make a safe and courteous pass! The problem; no one else knows (or cares) how.

Mark and I were steaming to a destination the other week when we were contacted on the radio by a fellow wanting to make a pass. The maneuver went well and all parties were on their way without an excessive wake.

BTW, that was the first time I've ever been contacted by another skipper for the purpose of making a slow pass.

As far as the blowboats go...I'd pass them too. Those canoe tails can take a wake. No problem!!!

Last edited:
Mark and I were steaming to a destination the other week when we were contacted on the radio by a fellow wanting to make a pass. The maneuver went well and all parties were on their way without an excessive wake.

BTW, that was the first time I've ever been contacted by another skipper for the purpose of making a slow pass.

Ditto! It was the Nordic Tug Three Jeans (from Pittsburg, with its eye-catching "stack") in the narrow channel leading to the mouth of the Petaluma River.

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C59783336nu0mrj

Last edited:
ANd please tell me what that is? I am usually the "waker". I do my very best to contact the "wakee" on the radio. 9 times out of 10 I cannot raise them on the radio. I still try to give a slow wake pass. BUT IT IS PRETTY DAMN HARD TO PASS A BOAT WITH NO WAKE WHEN THAT WAKEE IS GOING 7 KNOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed - Nobody seems to pay attention to their radio in that situation.

Makes sense, but very rarely happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the water that day as well and it was quite an experience. This reminds me of someone's comment months ago that there's no need to look behind you bc the boat being passed has the right of way. That seriously cracks me up. I want to see 'em BEFORE they get to me so I can get as far over as I can and give myself a chance for some room to take their wake on MY terms. Being in the delta you definitely hone your skills in dealing w wakes, skiers, fisherman, drunks, idiots, etc.

Being in the delta you definitely hone your skills in dealing w wakes, skiers, fisherman, drunks, idiots, etc.

Ya, but c'mon... You gotta admit, in spite of it all, we're still a fun group of boaters!!

Ya, but c'mon... You gotta admit, in spite of it all, we're still a fun group of boaters!!

Absolutely, I love it! Trying to find a ski boat to get into the experience even more.

...This reminds me of someone's comment months ago that there's no need to look behind you bc the boat being passed has the right of way. That seriously cracks me up. I want to see 'em BEFORE they get to me ...

That's part of the challenge/adventure of boating, and points out the need for 360-degree visibility and attention from the helmsman's position.

Last edited:
...I want to see 'em BEFORE they get to me so I can get as far over as I can and give myself a chance for some room to take their wake on MY terms. ...

Yeah ... Like returning Sunday from Stockton on the San Joaquin River I had to make a "question mark" (?) maneuver to have room to cross the wake of a close-passing boat.

Last edited:
In Oz we have a rule that you are meant to leave at least 30 metres space if passing an anchored or slow boat above hull speed, not that it is observed meticulously. The really nasty one, as some others have mentioned, is the one where a semi-planer comes up from behind at speed, catches you napping, or in such a confined space there is not time or room to turn stern to, and to get bow on is impossible, and then it effectively catches you broadside. Any vessel will rock and roll in that situation. I have a rear vision mirror fitted to the upper steering chain pole which in a sedan does give some reasonable rear warning, and make frequent glances back thru the pilot door, but sometimes I still get caught out. There is no doubt that being forewarned to have enough time to plan the evasion tactic pays dividends.

I dont worry too much about bothering others with my wake. My boat tends to calm the water rather than make a disturbance.

Attachments

• DSCF8341.jpg
    DSCF8341.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 98
Wait just a minute! This is beginning to sound like "bumper cars" at a carnival! I thought that the Delta was a place of contentment, tranquility & rest, only to find that it's no different than San Diego Bay on Wednesday's beer can races. :eek: The ICW seems to have the same amount of traffic...maybe I am in the right spot!

Last edited:
I dont worry too much about bothering others with my wake. My boat tends to calm the water rather than make a disturbance.

PG talked about "wakes, skiers, fisherman, drunks, idiots, etc."
A few years in Alaska will relieve you of such burdens also.

Attachments

• STH71189 copy.jpg
    STH71189 copy.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 86
Walt the amount of other boat encounters really depends where on the delta you are. Mark is talking about a trip on the San Joaquin river. It's crazy central, especially closer to Stockton. Once you get on the sloughs and less traveled rivers like the Mokelumne it's much calmer!!

When this breaks up...you want to be somewhere else.
The good thing is, when they are here...I'm somewhere else.

Attachments

• Partycove1.jpg
    Partycove1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 108
I'll have to concur with Eric on that one.....and I try to do exactly that. Trouble is that on routes like the ACICW, there are places so narrow between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale, for example, where there is no option but to eat the wakes on the beam. To turn into a wake, one is likely to get broad-sided by the guy chasing him, and in my weekend ICW transits these last couple of months, I'm sometimes passed by as many as six boats at a time, with three on each side. My boat takes wakes equally well from bow or stern, but sometimes the only choice is to just hold on.

Larry, how about Worth Creek near N. Palm Beach with the wakes bouncing of the seawalls on either side. That place can be like a washing machine.:banghead:

I can make'em or take'em. However, we try to give a good pass if the boat overtaken will cooperate. Some don't know how.

img_153971_0_794232426dea8e16dc110225858e58b4.jpg

I can make'em or take'em. However, we try to give a good pass if the boat overtaken will cooperate. Some don't know how.

img_153973_0_794232426dea8e16dc110225858e58b4.jpg
#@*&*% (wise ass.):D One of these days....

Back
Top Bottom