Crazy Boat Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Blow Me" may have a problem if he calls anyone for help......

We have friends who named their Coronado 41 sailboat "The Filthy Whore" (he likes it anyway). We once followed them into Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes. The marina had a tough time repeating the name over the air. IIRC they just called him "sailboat skipper". Then we called in by our boat name which was Venus. On the radio they hesitatingly said, "um, can you repeat that name please ?" Only later did we find out they heard Venus as pronounced with a P instead of a V...

That was exactly my point in post # 17

However, I haven't laughed at one of them.

"I've trained myself not to laugh or smile. I watched a hundred hours of the Three Stooges; every time I felt like smiling or laughing, I jabbed myself in the stomach with a cattle prod."

The French word for "cat" is "le chat."

Last edited:
Had I not been subject to my wife's right to veto our Trawler's name, my first choice was....(wait for it...)....."Thong of the Sea" replete with a black cotton thong a-flyin' from the bow. Some women have no sense of humour....(I know...men have no sense of propriety...lol)

I heard of one business owner who called his boat 'Company Business'.

If he was cutting the week short the admin could legitimately say to anyone who called the office 'I am sorry - he is out on Company Business'

Quite a number of years ago when I was in retail I did name my boat "competition" so the switchboard at the time could legitimately say I was out checking the competition.

I can't relate to boat names that need translation to be understood. Why bother if almost no one will know what the name means?

And related to that I wish all would claim what state they are from as many many city names are unknown to most that don't live near. Big city names exempt of course.

Last edited:
...I wish all would claim what state they are from as many many city names are unknown to most that don't live near. Big city names exempt of course.

For documented vessels this is required.

46 CFR § 67.119 Hailing port designation.
(a) Upon application for any Certificate of Documentation in accordance with subpart K of this part, the owner of a vessel must designate a hailing port to be marked upon the vessel.
(b) The hailing port must be a place in the United States included in the U.S. Department of Commerce's Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 55DC.
(c) The hailing port must include the State, territory, or possession in which it is located.

Does there need to be any water at the "hailing port?
Like a navigable river, lake, Bay, Sound or similar body of water?

Does there need to be any water at the "hailing port?
Like a navigable river, lake, Bay, Sound or similar body of water?

Nope. It just has to be a legitimate place name. It doesn't even have to be an incorporated city or town. In Maine there are a lot of places that have a historical name, but never grew big enough to be a town.

And I thought there was an exception for well-known place names like Boston not needing a state, but I can't find it now. Maybe that's changed.

Eric-Nope, no requirement that a hailing port have any connection whatsoever with water of any kind! It only need to me a place listed in a Dep't of Commerce Publication 55DC. I have seen boats around here with hailing ports in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. This is on 45'+ boats, boats you could not get into Montana in any way short of a military airlift!

Northern Lights is on the upper Mississippi & her home port is a small town in Kansas.

Not very dirty but I thought it was neat. A sporty called "Paradox".

There was a cruiser on Chickamauga Lake owned by a doctor and a dentist. They were both named Jack. The boat name was PAIR OF JACKS.

Baker,

Where are you? I've seen that Bad Kit boat on Clear Lake and in a marina but can't remember which marina. Yes there is a boat by that name. :banghead:

John

I can't relate to boat names that need translation to be understood. Why bother if almost no one will know what the name means?

My boat name doesn't mean anthing to most other people, but to me it means plenty. I'm ok with that.

Kokanee
- The name of a beautiful glacier & park in BC which I explored as a teenager.
- The name of the beer brewed in my small home town which I grew up on.
- A type of of a land-locked salmon local to my hometown area.
- The name of the fastest steam powered sternwheeler on Kootenay Lake. The boat was built in 1896. My house in Canada was originally built by the Captain of the SS Kokanee.

Attachments

• g_06453.jpg
    g_06453.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 109
My trawler is named Miss Sail'n, the previous owner liked to sail

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Trawler

The previous owners of my boat were two gay gals and they named it "SeaWhores 2". I liked the name but my wife insisted I change it to SeaHorse II.:cry:

I wanted to name my Flying Scot, "Cooter Scooter", but the SO was having none of that.

It's not blatantly vulgar, Flying Scots do scoot and, oh, here's a surprise ... boats are babe magnets. And I do find some of the names mentioned earlier pretty dang amusing. Maybe I'm not "old" yet! Or, maybe just not grown up.

Back
Top Bottom