What am I...? Trawler or Motor Yacht...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would label it as a Motoryacht for sure. The Hargrave designed Atlantic 44's had some trawler characteristics but were a semi-displacement hull. Most had Lehmans. I always liked them.

Mark is our leader. Those of us who follow and believe in him pray to a small doll made in his likeness every evening before sunset. I try to limit my prayers and praise to 5 minutes each day, but sometimes I get a bit carried away.

Seriously, he chose the title and to most of us it means nothing.

*%&#$*%##. You have that title for a reason.

Ooooh! Can you say that on here? I guess it's probably OK as I've seen the mods use the word sh*t many times and nobody complained that I know of.

Master and Commander - Great Movie !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, he chose the title and to most of us it means nothing.

Well, something like that. When Mark got the new Coot he said something like he felt like Master and Commander. I asked Baker to bestow the title upon him. Baker eagerly complied. Kinda like I asked Baker to put KJ's moniker as El Capitan when he got his captains license. Baker was happy to do that also. I think KJ's title has been lost.

Edit: Whoops, just checked KJ's is back on.

Last edited:
When Mark got the new Coot he said something like he felt like Master and Commander.
We watched through the entire build of the "Coot" and even it's shipment from the Far East. Somewhere on the vessel is a plaque with all our names engraved on it. For this honor that Mark bestowed on us, we lobbied the owners of the Forum to allow Mark to keep that title. They agreed but said that should something happen to the plaque, the title must be withdrawn.

Mark; Please post a photo of the plaque so that new members can understand the Forum's history a little better.:popcorn:

Plaque? I never promised no stinkin' plaque.

Attachments

• Master 7 Commander.jpg
    Master 7 Commander.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
...ahhhh...the good ol' days!

Don, I didn't know you initiated the name! WTG!! Sorry for the oversight.

Oh look, there's Mark pretending he's got a flybridge!!

Mark's a man .... he ain't got no stink'in Fly Bridge.

Oh look, there's Mark pretending he's got a flybridge!!

If I wasn't afraid of heights, I'd be atop the mast as was Crowe's character.

Last edited:
A trawler will usually have a rounded bottom for sea worthy and sea kindly ride in rough going.

A flat bottom or V will usually signify a boat that can be made to plane with immense power , a motor yacht.

Not for rough water for very far.

I think the terms were liberally used by the marketing departments, our IG aft cabin was sold as a 'Motor Yacht' in the promotional blurb, that came with the boat when we bought her.

well yes, so was the Titanic(not for long though)

I find it amusing that people get so hung up on names/titles. Almost as funny as the guy who swears by a corporate brand so much he identifies with it (eg. "Friends don't let friends drive Fords", the die-hard Apple user, or my ex-bro-in-law who would say "If it's not Coors I'm not drinkin' it"). Oh, the power of advertising and marketing...

Whether or not it's a trawler or motoryacht, she's a fine looking BOAT!

The Titanic was a ship not a boat.

And FF most trawlers have hard chines. And chines have almost nothing to do w seaworthyness.

Andy G wrote;

"I think the terms were liberally used by the marketing departments"

How true. I recall ads for OB Sea Dories as the "trailerable trawlers".

Last edited:
Arthur DeFever said our boat is the DeFever 48 LRC Motor Yacht, good enough for me. I'd say your's is a motor yacht.

Amusing that the "Trawler Forum" can't agree on the definition of a trawler. As stated previously, motoryacht is a deckhouse configuration. It could be a subset of trawler as evidenced by thousands of aft cabin boats built in Taiwan and Singapore that fit the schtick. And that's all there is to the trawler grouping of small pleasure cruisers...an image...an idea...marketing. The subject boat has elements of that classic Taiwan/GB utilitarian shippy look...and the look is all that defines the segment.

Thank you all. As always, lots of information and opinion but usefull. I decided to remove the word "Trawler" from my profile and just enjoy my "Boat". After all, thats what it is all about.

I understood that a full-beam aft stateroom was/is the traditional definition of a MY

Not necessarily. American Marine used the name Motoryacht as their branding name for all their tri-cabin Grand Banks boats with full-width aft cabins. However this configuration also falls under the general definition of "sundeck."

And I believe other manufactures applied the term "motoryacht" to models without full-width aft cabins or with no aft cabins at all.

I would guess you could consider it a trawler if you basically use it as a trawler. We are on a powercat trawler. I guess we call it a trawler ever though it has large engines and can go fast, but being ex sailors we are perfectly happy going 7-8 knots or in the trawler "range" of speed. Hey, what do I know? But, anyhow, it is a very nice looking boat you have. TonyL

KE! It is a fine looking boat........from one of those Sea Ray owners.....

OK....Mr.Knot.... Now that we have established that is it is a beautiful boat. Are you going to put it in the Blessing of the fleet parade on Sunday?

Definitely a fine looking boat whatever it is. I think Mr. Hargrave turned out some very nice looking boats. He penned all of the Prairies, which is what that really is. And also the Hatteras he does are very classy looking boats. I think "handsome" would be a good word to describe Hargrave designed boats!!!

And as far as trawlers go....I kinda agree with Marin. A "real " trawler is something used in commercial fishing. BUT, if we apply Eric's definition, We have a shrimp boat here in Galveston Bay that I have seen up on plane cruising in the upper teens!!!....quite a sight!

And I am about to buy a Carver....ACMY....
:hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide: :hide:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom