What am I...? Trawler or Motor Yacht...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot-Enuff

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Knot Enuff
Vessel Make
Atlantic 47'
My wife and I purchased our Atlantic Trawler in January and are so happy with her but, is she really a trawler or should I refer to her as a motor yacht? She was listed by the broker as a Trawler and I am very familiar with the traditional trawler design and our boat is not traditional. So, is she a Trawler or a Motor Yacht. Thanks for you comments and thoughts.

Attachments

• P1050610.jpg
    P1050610.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 599
  • P1050604.jpg
    P1050604.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 216
Officially- I'd say MY.

The 2 terms have become so interchangeable in the private pleasure market it's really not an issue.

Officially- I'd say MY.

The 2 terms have become so interchangeable in the private pleasure market it's really not an issue.

Being we own a boat that looks like a tradition trawler, I would say motor yacht. 15+ years ago very few pleasure boat wanted to be labeled a TRAWLER, but today its a common for most boats.

Motor Yacht.

Or "engine yacht"?

Your boat is much better looking than most all trawlers and better looking than most cruisers/yachts. Beautiful boat Knot-Enuff.

Is the aft cabin structure builder done or an add-on? If an add-on it was sure an excellent job. Looks a bit over burdened aft though but better than most sundecks.

You've got a LOT of space/room on that boat and she still looks great. Usually a long and fairly straight sheer line makes a boat look long and classy.

Last edited:
Unquestionably a trawler style power/motor yacht, as are the vast majority of the vessels on this site. Deckhouse configurations include sedan/europa, trunk cabin, sundeck, pilothouse, sundeck with cockpit (yachtfish), down east and tug...to name a few.

(Actually, I don't consider boats under 65-70 feet in the yacht category anyway).

Last edited:
MY!

My 30ft is known as a "Pocket Yacht!" :blush:

Funny there is a 35ft Carver on the Columbia River named "Knot Enuff" and his dink "Still Knot Enuff."

Funny, to me, if you can go faster than 9kts, you are not a trawler. :eek:

:hide::hide::hide:

That is a beautiful boat.My wife and I looked at that boat when it was for sale. The only drawback we noticed, was severely rusted V6 92s.Aside from that .we really liked everything about that boat. You are very lucky.

Eric, Thanks for the kind words. The aft cabin was builder done, complete with seperate AC/Heat, sink, sub-zero freezer and built in TV. It was the Admiral who fell in love with this first as it affords us much more comfort, year round, than the others we looked at. Also, our dink is called, "Too Much". It's an 11' Whaler.

Do you live aboard? If so what marina are you in? The wife and I are over at Seabrook marina .

What is powering the boat? I have seen those boats with 2 Detroit 6V92 engines. That is definitely not what I would consider trawler power. It looks like a Jack Hargrave design, and therefore has some resemblance to what Hatteras yachts looked like. It is a very nice boat that I would consider to be a motor yacht. However, you could cruise it similar to a trawler yacht. It looks very comfortable.:thumb:

That design started life as the Prairie 46 LRC in 1981. In 1982 Atlantic Yachts bought the tooling and reintroduced her as the Atlantic 47 MY with almost no changes from the original Prairie built boat. Standard power was twin 375 HP Cats for 14-15 knots, optional were 435 HP 6V-71s, or 450 HP 6V92s for 17 knot cruise, or 550 HP 6V92s to cruise at 19-20 knots.

Standard power was twin 375 HP Cats for 14-15 knots, optional were 435 HP 6V-71s, or 450 HP 6V92s for 17 knot cruise, or 550 HP 6V92s to cruise at 19-20 knots.

Sounds like a sportfish chassis and a trawler body...

If I remember that boat has the problematic DD V6 92 550 hp TA's ......But it is beautiful in and out.Has every creature comfort.

While others on this forum are familiar with my opinion that NONE of the boats owned by forum participants are trawlers unless they fish with trawl gear (net, otter doors, net drum, etc.), I would say that your boat is a Motoryacht, not a "trawler" in the recreational boat sense.. Grand Banks also used this designation for their tri-cabin models that had a full-width aft cabin.

But despite the fact that you have a motoryacht and not a "trawler" you are still welcome to participate in the forum. After all, there are even some Bayliner and SeaRay owners here. Just bear in mind that those of us with "proper trawlers" will look down our noses at you just a wee bit.:):):):)

Spraygun, yes, I too, was concerned about the twin Detroit 6V71TA engines. It is a Jack Hargrave design and there are two Hatteras MYs next to us. It is hard to tell them apart. I had a seperate survey done and have had some minor work done on the motors. I wish they were not the turbo model but for the price we were able to get her for, I am willing to concider repowering in the future if needed. For now, they are performing well. I keep getting mixed information on these motors from different engine mechanics. We are at the Kemah Boardwalk Marina, H27. We do not live aboard but are there every weekend. Stop by if you can. Oh, and by the way, it's ok if Trawler owners want to look down on us a bit, I still love you guys.....

Yeah..... I recognized theTilman Fertita yacht in the background by the parking garage. I figured out where you were...We are at the bridge also.But in Seabrook.

Knot-Enuff,

"Mixed information" is common from mechanics. Some of course are quite objective but many more offer information that is closer to vodo than fact. Their job is to bend wrenches and most all do very well at wrench bending and repairing.

Do I listen to mechanics? Yes but even if slightly suspect I consider other sources.

That design started life as the Prairie 46 LRC in 1981. In 1982 Atlantic Yachts bought the tooling and reintroduced her as the Atlantic 47 MY with almost no changes from the original Prairie built boat.

AHAHH! It started life as an LRC....a designation that is traditionally a member of the trawler club. Never mind the big engines...they're in lots of Grand Banks (which GB do not call trawlers). :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
The 47 Atlantic is a very nice....motor yacht. :) Nearly identical to the 48 hatteras motor yacht.

Lopk my boat, it is a Sun deck Cruiser or a Motor Yatch, but I call her Trawler because I just trawlering with her

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I was raised ina "trawler community on the North Sea and never saw a real "trawler" with a semi-planing or planing hull or twin engines for that matter. I even refuse to use the term "semi-displacement".

To me a trawler will always be a single engine, displacement hull wether it's pulling a purse seine or not..

You all should have smelled the aroma of Perla's quiche cooking in the propane oven during our first-day voyage from Vallejo to the central Delta last Thursday.

:smitten:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom