View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Capn Chuck
Guru

Insurance

Quote:
troy994719 wrote:

Capn Chuck wrote:

Troy, I suggest you use the don't ask don't tell when it comes to live aboard. We have lived aboard for near 20 years and always insured and no one asks. Chuck

Chuck my current policy first stated that the boat was not used for owners primary residence, this was front page in bold print right by the line that said boat is not used for charter. I called them and asked, they said they only charged more for live aboard if I wanted more coverage on personal property.
You might want to take a look at your policy and check it out. I bet an insurance company will look for any way out if you ever have a claim.

Troy, We have lived aboard and cruised for 17 years and the boat has had complete coverage every day of that time. Our current policy and last policy which cover us for 5 years and the policy before that says and has said absolutely nothing about living aboard or not living aboard. Of course we have serious coverage for cruising and have had our policies through IMIS as does many of our friends that are cruisers and liveaboards also. We have never had a claim but our agent knows we live aboard. Other friends have had claims and do live aboard and have never been denied. Of course how you handle this is entirely up to you. BTW, If liveaboard is not written into your policy as an exclusion you can not be denied a claim because of it. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Wednesday 12th of August 2009 07:23:08 PM
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote