Great Marina in St Augustine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earl34Mainship

Vessel Name
Gone Coastal
Vessel Make
2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Vicky and I (34'Mainship Trawler) were going to overnight at Municipal Marina in St Augustine until another boater told us about high winds and white caps at the marina. He suggested we try Rivers Edge Marine which is about 1.4 miles up the San Sebastian river just south of St. A. I called Paul and made the reservation. Paul and 2 others met us and secured lines - no wind or current there. Rivers Edge has the necessities - clean showers, restrooms, laundry, a ship's store and a very casual restaurant - Hurricane Patty's. Paul arranged a discount at the restaurant for us. Rivers Edge is within walking distance to a Winn Dixie, West Marine and it's a 10 minute walk to historic St Augustine. We decided to stay there for the weekend rather than go on to Fernandina. We needed diesel, and Paul arranged fuel delivery by truck @ $3.87/gal. The driver was on time, and Paul helped with dragging the hose and fueling. Thanks Paul. Paul's #: 904.392.1990.

Vicky had the oysters... the old saying about oysters isn't completely true... I had a dozen one evening, and only 11 of them worked... :rolleyes:

great advice from a seasoned sailor... :blush:

I stand corrected Sir...

Not sure what kind of current you are used to, but I have been to a lot of places much worse than St. Augustine. It was no problem coming or going for me. I love that marina and location, one of the best on the east coast!

We saw the Marina from shore - nice marina, nice facilities, nice close restaurants and that day/night, we were happy to be in a calm mooring. Just one of those times when wind was particuilarly nasty... and being at a calm mooring was preferred... we'll get enough of the storm moorings in due time... and we saw all of St A that we would have from the muncipal marina, sans the weather...

et

Not sure what kind of current you are used to, but I have been to a lot of places much worse than St. Augustine. It was no problem coming or going for me. I love that marina and location, one of the best on the east coast!

Here's Moonstruck at St. Augustine Municipal Marina with the waves sloshing over the dock. Quite bouncy. In this case we backed in with a strong current. You have to be quick in getting a spring line ashore to hold the boat in place. The location of the marina and facilities are superb. We have spent time there and on the San Sebastion River. Downtown is more convenient.

img_152960_0_5c9f5533f482864ba896ca6ca7991703.jpg

Thanks for the photo Don... this is exactly what we wanted to avoid. Sooner or later, we won't have the option of a calm mooring, but less wind was preferred and Rivers Edge offered that as well as easy access to St Augustine.

Earl

Thanks for the photo Don... this is exactly what we wanted to avoid. Sooner or later, we won't have the option of a calm mooring, but less wind was preferred and Rivers Edge offered that as well as easy access to St Augustine.

Earl

By the way, I understand that the municipal marina at St. Augustine has obtained permits to build a break water on the North side at the Bridge of Lions. This should improve the situation quite a bit. I will miss the entertainment of watching a boat club cruise coming in under those conditions.:D

Correct Don... a break water is under construction and it was calm inside, but still a howling wind... just didn't want to take that on if I didn't have to, and sure didn't want to be part of the "entertainment" entering the marina... the San Sebastian River was flat and maneuver was easy..

I tried to attach a photo the morning of our departure.. not sure if it worked.

Thanks Don,

Earl

Attachments

• DSC00219.jpg
    DSC00219.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 128
It looks like we will be spending some time in St. Augustine again. A grandson is entering Flagler College in the fall. We will have to decide which marina. We are also considering Ortega Landing Marina in Jacksonville for a seasonal stay. It is convenient to St. Augustine, and it is convenient for cruising the St. Johns River. It's great to have so many choices.:thumb:

Don't know much about other marinas near St A but Rivers Edge was $1.50/foot. Rivers Edge wasn't plush - no spa or boutique, but convenient considering the weather. Paul (Dock Master) couldn't have been more accomodating. We toured Flagler College - very nice... would be a fun place to be a student again. Moonstruck would be a very nice weekend getaway for your grandson and his friends... :socool:

Another option is the Conch House Marina and resort. It is on Anastasia Island, (about 3/4 of a mile over the Bridge of Lions. Nice place to socialize with a Florida style Bar on the dock, and a decent (not great) restaurant.

My Waterway Guide for 2012 shows the marina to be Rivers Edge... not sure about any previous names.... Paul could answer that question..

Earl

Back
Top Bottom