Hull modifications....See it to Believe it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
The ad says,"[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]This 32 Island Gypse has many upgrades and is in a class by its self, you will never find another like her. This boat has new fuel tank as of 2013, she also has many upgrades that are not found on a 32 Island Gypse.

Click on the link and view the "photo Gallery".

Island Gypsy

Ted
[/FONT]

? really ? almost looks like photoshop ! if its real would love some feedback on it.:ermm:

Looks like the first time you throw the helm hard over it'll turn like a VLCC. ..and how's it going to handle a beam sea?? Can you say "snap roll"??

WTF! IMHO ruined a nice boat. What characteristics did they think they were going to "improve?". The lack of details and explanation by the broker speaks volumes.

The lack of details and explanation by the broker speaks volumes.
Couldn't agree more! (I think it's an exercise with Photo Shop & if it isn't, someone just destroyed the resale value of the boat) :nonono:

Ahah! A 37 32.
Seems to me, someone had a lot of fun messing with her.

There is probably a reason that the ad stated "you will never find another like her".:confused:

Directional stability would be very high. Too high at times. Would be a bear to maneuver in tight quarters. Don't even think about buying it but you could probably get it for a song unless it's just gone on the market. I could think of lots of things I'd like to do w one but not any of what was done.

I agree w Sailor of Fortune.

"Chitty, chitty, bang, bang.??!!

Can't imagine anyone thinking it was worth the time and MONEY to make
this modification.

I wonder if anyone will change it back?

JohnP

Doutful It'll get changed back.

Perhaps it's intended use is very specialized and not obvious to us. So it could have solid value somewhere to someone .. but not likely in my opinion. It looks to me that the changes were more whimsical than purposeful.

A mono hull with training wheels!!!:socool:
That's going to be hard to shift and would you own up to being the owner?

I read a Yachtworld listing like that - where there is basically no information worth reading - and it seems as though the broker is trying NOT to sell the boat...

I can see adding hull extensions to get an increase in the displacement speed. The rest of it....that's simply amazing. That gives a whole new definition to "reverse chine".

I'm guessing he was trying to correct a hull that rolled a lot by adding the whatever you call its. And that porpoise nosed bulbous bow....what was he thinking? That raised area on the bulb would just take away any improvement in hull speed you might have gotten with the hull extension.

I would really like to hear the owner's feedback on the results. I'm not going to judge just wonder.

I can't locate the photo now. About 2 years or so ago someone posted a photo of a trawler with what could best be described as a back porch added on to it. Gentleman removed the entire transom and enlarged the cockpit from the waterline up IIRC.

Oppon more reflection I'm think'in this may be an attempt to turn his boat into a Shannon 38 SRD. Shannon made mostly sailboats but ventured into the powerboat field w their SRD hull. SRD stands for Shannon Reverse Deadrise. I really like the SRD. I'm probably not correct because if I am this is a very bad attempt to emulate the SRD.

http://http://www.shannonyachts.com/shannon_srd_technology.html

Here you can see the concept. Brilliant I think. The fwd sections are almost pure sailboat and the aft sections are much like a powerboat. However most all powerboats (except the Hickman Sea Sled) have flat bottoms or bottoms w some to considerable deadrise. The SRD has reverse deadrise aft. Very unusual but it delivers a hull w a great deal of the characteristics of a full disp hull but w the ability to run 20 knots and quite efficiently as well. I think the SRD hull is truly amazing and I remember showing Walt (Seahouse) this boat 6 or so years ago.

Anyway the resemblance is there but .........................

Last edited:
Oppon more reflection I'm think'in this may be an attempt to turn his boat into a Shannon 38 SRD. Shannon made mostly sailboats but ventured into the powerboat field w their SRD hull. SRD stands for Shannon Reverse Deadrise. I really like the SRD. I'm probably not correct because if I am this is a very bad attempt to emulate the SRD.

Yes, I think it's a variation on the Shannon concept. It might perform admirably. I wonder if marinas charge for the 34' hull or the underwater length.

Palmer Johnson's latest thinking for lateral stability on hull design for their upcoming Super Sport mega yacht line...aft sponsons. ..

PJ48SS.jpg

Last edited:
Skid,
See the "aft sponsons" on my Easy Rider design.

Attachments

• STH71821.JPG
    STH71821.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 515
Skid,
See the "aft sponsons" on my Easy Rider design.

Yes, I've seen that photo before. An idea whose time has come. Add deck house out to the edge of the sponsons and you'd have the essence of the PJ. Bet we see it applied to more and more designs.

On that boat Skid I ran the bow line to the aft cockpit and stepped onto the float w both bow and stern lines in hand.

Basically the Easy Rider was a cross between a trimaran and a cathedral hull. A small duck could swim around each sponson and the center hull separately.

I was in Dixon Entrance w this boat in 20' seas ... a bit aft of the port beam. I stood on the inside of the stbd hull at times.

Last edited:
This is a PERFECT example of what I mentioned reading recently in another thread...namely the marketing phraseology of a boat being a "Pocket Mega Yacht." I think this boat should be the poster child of what a pocket mega yacht could/would be. Except this isn't a full size pocket- it's more like the watch pocket mega yacht. :)
FYI, this boat was just added to YW this month (april 2013).

It could have been the same outfit that did this rare Krogen Mana-Cat.

Attachments

• Rare Krogen Mana-cat.jpg
    Rare Krogen Mana-cat.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 250
Personally, like I said before, I like the idea. There's sooo many folks out there that don't have any imagination..."I want to keep it original." What a shame not to make your boat personal.

Same goes for the "resale" thing. I bought a high resale boat and I want to keep it that way - that's how I get the most enjoyment out of my stuff...by keeping the resale value high. Well, not all of us boaters subscribe to that outlook. Making it mine is much more important to me than keeping it original or keeping the resale value at maximum.

Could the design, ugly as it is, be for beaching, sitting on sand bars or something of the sort?

Back
Top Bottom