Rust flecks on fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Being new to this plastic boat scene (30 ys of woodies before now) I was unaware, when drilling out some DPO installed, rusted in, steel bolts to replace them with SS, that the resulting steel dust (which I thought that I had adequately swept up/washed away) would create almost instant (overnight) rust pox on the fiberglass decks. Tried scrubbing with Soft Scrub and Scotch Brite and that removed some, but not all, of the persistent buggers. Anyone have some tried and true remedies?

David, Go to Home Depot and get a product called Rustaid. It will make any rust spots or streaks go away magically. Chuck

Rustaid or any product with/based on oxalic acid. It converts the ferrous oxide (rust) to ferrous oxalate, which is soluble and washes away.

Oxalic acid with a bit of Joy and a mild (white) scotch brite pad can be scrubbed on TT "Stainless Steel".

Leave it in place Joy (will give a light haze) for an hour and , do this a couple of times.

The Acid will go after the surface rust AND the "loose" iron that is usually removed by electro polishing.

Your "SS" stanchions and fittings will be rust free , frequently for months , and the more you do it the better it gets.

Thanks guys. Will try your suggestions.

Gee, when I went from wood to plastic, I thought all I'd have to do was wash and wax.

Toilet bowl cleaner, the cheapest and thinnest stuff, works great to take off the rust streaks that dribble down the transom or the side of the boat from SS fittings like the Espar exhaust pipe, the davits or the bolts that hold in the horns.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom