Looking for a Prairie 29

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whalerdon

Vessel Name
Porte-Bonheur
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
My wife and I are looking for a Prairie 29 that we can outfit for our future boating adventures. Any help in locating one would be appreciated.
-Don

I have one about 80% complete in Stuart, Florida. She's worth a look. Cadillac (772) 285-2266

Cadillac,

We have not found one yet. We looked at the pictures and information on your boat online, assuming that it is the one with the modified fly bridge. It is more of project then we want to take on. Our plans are to bring any boat we buy to Michigan where will do a couple of summers of shakedown cruises before doing The Great Loop.

I apologize for not responding to your post sooner.

-Don

Well you'll love whichever one you get. Keep us informed as to your progress. Cadillac :)
You are correct, mine is the one with the modified flybridge.

Brianboat

I am pretty sure that I know that boat. My wife and I looked at it last fall but we were unable to reach an agreement with the owners. Since then my wife and I have shifted our target boat to ones in the 32 to 36 foot range.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Brianboat

I am pretty sure that I know that boat. My wife and I looked at it last fall but we were unable to reach an agreement with the owners. Since then my wife and I have shifted our target boat to ones in the 32 to 36 foot range.

Thanks for thinking of me.

32-36 is a great range and there's a whole bunch of boats in that size. We've been tremendously happy with our 36 Marine Trader, the only downside to the sun deck layout is we have a big dog to cart on and off. But we cruise on a single screw very economically. The interior room is huge for its size. There's a bunch of levels and space to this size and config.

Happy Shopping!

Ben

Here ya go. This is my old boat. This thing was in good condition when I sold it and they have dumped a lot of money into it. It'll make a good boat for somebody!!!

1981 29' Prairie Trawler

That is a great looking boat! John, believe me I understand the need for speed as well as anyone, but its hard to believe ya sold that beauty.

That is a great looking boat! John, believe me I understand the need for speed as well as anyone, but its hard to believe ya sold that beauty.

It really was a great boat for us. And the thing is gigantic for 29 feet!!! We were out on a multi-week cruise and pulled into the municipal dock in Port Aransas. Their transient fees are based on size ranges...ie 20-30ft is $20 a night...30-40 is...etc. The marina guy made me pay the 30-40ft rate because he could not believe the boat was only 29 feet. I had the survey on board and everything and was prepared to show him but he would have none of it. It was only $5 more so I didn't raise a fuss and just thought it was kinda funny. I lived on that boat for 5 years...girlfriend(now wife) for 2.5 of them. That boat served us very well. There were only 55 P29s made. That is hull #55!...the last one. Atlantic bought the molds and proceeded to produce the "Atlantic 30 LRC"...I have no idea how many of them were made....not a lot. 1.4GPH at 6.7kts with the generator running.

A very neat "little" boat and would be an amazing Great Loop boat.

Baker -

She really is a beautiful boat. I love the flybridge, single diesel, roomy layout. Economical as absolutely possible without being sail. The new owners look like they shined her up really nicely.

If we didn't love our boat so much (and needed the space for kids!!) I'd love to have that Prairie. I've been long an admirer.

Baker -

She really is a beautiful boat. I love the flybridge, single diesel, roomy layout. Economical as absolutely possible without being sail. The new owners look like they shined her up really nicely.

If we didn't love our boat so much (and needed the space for kids!!) I'd love to have that Prairie. I've been long an admirer.

Coincidently Ben, when I was looking for the "next boat" after this one and was still living aboard, I was very seriously considering the MT36. Great boats and many were single engine. Good looking boats as well. Like Craig referred to above, since my recent boat, I have a "speed problem". I never thought I would like going fast. Actually I love going slow but don't have the time...:lol: . And I mean that. Honestly, seeing "Prairie Dog" back on the market has me re-evaluating my goals. I don't think anything has changed but that little boat sure has a soft spot in my heart....kinda like seeing an old flame and wondering if you made the right decision...you know you did but, man,..... we had great times!

An interesting fact. The P29 has the same beam(almost) as your boat...12ft

An interesting fact. The P29 has the same beam(almost) as your boat...12ft
I suffer from the same affliction (more speed) but am in love with these small trawlers. I came within a whisker of buying a bigger boat at the Newport Beach, CA show last weekend but after sleeping on it and considering the boat I have, I couldn't pull the trigger. I still have the problem with grand kids coming and guests but have decided to keep the frig stocked much better than before (Flywright) and just buy them a room for the night. (Besides, other than cruising the Bay, all the other trips take too long at 8.5 knots.)

Much less money in going this route and SeaHorse is still mine and continues to be the best looking boat on my dock.

Attachments

• SeaHorse ii.jpg
    SeaHorse ii.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 224
Seahorse is a fine boat indeed!!!!

Those Prairie 29's are small in a BIG way. I like em'! There used to be one that came into the Conch House Marina Bar in St Aug, fl frequently. It was really nice, but not as nice as Bakers old boat.

Bake: as you can see, I'm not exactly a stranger to speed challenged boats, but if I had seen a 29 like that one for sale, I'm not sure I could resist.

If that boat was in California my wife would need a whip and a chair to keep me from checking it out. She knows we'd be two boat owners after looking at it.

Bake: as you can see, I'm not exactly a stranger to speed challenged boats, but if I had seen a 29 like that one for sale, I'm not sure I could resist.

If I still had my Mainship Pilot, I would consider keeping the pilot and just paying cash for the Prairie and just having two "different" boats that satisfy my boating needs....speed AND space. The Pilot was an absolutely wonderful boat but just not enough room downstairs. To put it a different way....it was about the best dayboat an average guy could have. The Prairie is plenty comfortable for a couple for overnighters....I think we proved that!!!

If that boat was in California my wife would need a whip and a chair to keep me from checking it out. She knows we'd be two boat owners after looking at it.

Mine doesn't know it is back on the market. I would need a whip and a chair to keep her from making me buy it...really! She loved that boat! So I won't be telling her.:confused::confused::confused:

I am just about to put an offer down on a boat and now this......:-|

<-- Prairie also made a 36.

It's not really for sale, but there have been a few times recently when you could probably have bought it from me pretty cheap. But it runs well and once I've corrected all the mistakes of the PO I'll probably decide to keep it ;)

I am just about to put an offer down on a boat and now this......:-|
Stick to the plan, John. With your schedule you need a faster boat! :blush:

Stick to the plan, John. With your schedule you need a faster boat! :blush:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Walt!!!! I was planning on it. Now I just have to decide on style...ACMY....Sedan....Express cruiser. Two boats at the top of the list are a Tiara 400 Hardtop express(3208) or Carver 356(6BT). As you can see...very different boats. The two are asking $50 grand apart....but the broker says the owner of the Tiara is very anxious to deal...whatever that means. I literally had my mind made up last night on the Carver but the broker called and said the Tiara could be had for significantly less than asking.. Anyway, I will leave it at that to avoid hijacking any further....

Two boats at the top of the list are a Tiara 400 Hardtop express(3208) or Carver 356(6BT). ....but the broker says the owner of the Tiara is very anxious to deal...whatever that means.
Hijacking or not, I have to respond.
I had a 35' Tiara-Open which I bought brand new in 2000. The boat was finished off flawlessly but pounded like a SOB in a head sea. Kept it 10 months until a guy from Las Vegas knocked on my hull to see if I was interested in selling. I wonder if he still has that boat? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 162
That's just crazy, Walt. There is a 2000 model 35 that I was also looking at. It is a VERY nice boat and the seller is not likely to budge off of his price much so I don't want to spend that much. It is the "B" plan so a bit different than your boat. The 40 is just too damn big!!! Thing is huge!!! But the Tiaras are handsome boats and good quality as you know. I put the offer in on the Carver today......:)

Any available 29' Prairie's for sale

Hello,

I just recently joined this forum. It seems like alot of people are very informative and helpful. So I figured I would post what I am in the market for. I am looking for a 28'-32' trawler of downeast style boat with a single deisel. My plans are to take my two young boys overnight camping, and day trips to the beach. My wife would join us on day trips, but probably, most likely not on overnights. She doesn't like camping. A flybridge is a must. Prefer a bow thruster, but could install one.

Boats I looked at so far in the past few months:
1980 29' Prairie
1973 32' Grand Banks
1979 34' Mainship

All three were in poor shape. In best condition was the Mainship, but feel it is not the right fit for me. The Prairie was in running comdition but has not been maintained well. All wood work from the swim platform, cabin door, small doors on fly bridge need to be replaced or fixed. Engine runs but looks old and tired, windless did not work, other cosmetic interior stuff, toliet system taken out and replace with porta potty. The owner is asking $22,000. It has been on the market from what I can tell about 1 1/2 years. I am thinking of making a low offer, but not sure how much it would take to restore her.

I would like to find one in good or better condition on the east coast. It would be more cost effective way to go than to restore the one I looked at.

Any suggestion, comments, or opinions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.

29' Prarie

I have the light blue one in the for sale section of this forum. I have lowered the flybridge but it can still be a driving station. Thanks, Cadillac

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom