37 year old photo of my Gulfstar!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gulfstar 36

Vessel Name
Sundowner
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36 MrkII
Our boats first owner sent me this photo last year! He was excited to here she was still cruising the Chesapeake!

Attachments

• baycombe.jpg
    baycombe.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 309
Our boats first owner sent me this photo last year! He was excited to hear she was still cruising the Chesapeake!
Now that's really neat! What a treasure!

Another 37 year old photo

From the first owner

Attachments

• goingtoc.jpg
    goingtoc.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 229
Thanks Walt, you are much better than I at that.

Quick fix

A couple of minutes on my photo editor, I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could do a nicer job with the original.

Don

Attachments

• goingtoc.jpg
    goingtoc.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 237
Now if it had been my boat, I'd have sent you this picture.

Attachments

• same boat.jpg
    same boat.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I'll bet the original owner would be amazed at those unfaded photos! Pretty cool guys. Now can you unfade my mind?

What a great gift from the original owner. I'd bet those end up framed on board.

The subtle change to level the horizon makes a big difference in the perceived lines of the boat.

That is very cool! One cool thing we found in the Nordic Tug paperwork that came with our boat were pictures of the boat being splashed for the first time at the factory and another of one of the shopworkers at the helm during the factory sea trial. It also included all the engine specs from the factory sea trial, which provided a good reference ten years later when we had the boat surveyed. Numbers were almost exact from the day she was born. It is always nice to have some history to go along with the boat.

Hello Flywright I don't know if you remember me from BE? I finally have a contract on a smaller trawler it's a Gulfstar 1976 36 Mark II. If you remember I was looking for a Californian like you have but never found one close enough to look at on the East Coast. I'll post some pictures of her once I close on the boat in about a week.
Good to see you here.
Billylll
Little Egg, Tuckerton, NJ
Current boat 1993 40 Mainship Sedan Bridge.

BillyIII!!! Of course I remember and good to see you back in this neighborhood again!! I seem to remember you wading in the TF waters briefly before retreating back to BE. Always good to see your posts!!

Congrats on your new trawler!! So glad to see you're bailing on that re-engined Mainship into a real trawler. Although someone is going to get a technologically advanced Mainship! I love the lines of the Gulfstar. We have seen a few in our travels out west. Is yours a single? Perkins 4.236 engine? You're going to love the efficiency of the diesel!!

(EDIT: Just saw this post with twin 4.236 Perkins.)

You're right...not as many Californians out east as we have out here on the Left Coast. We have a couple of guys here on TF with East Coast/Chesapeake Bay Californians. I guess the old, slow boats tend to stay on their coast of manufacture.

I look forward to seeing your new beauty! Hope you stick around these parts for a while. We need someone with your expertise to help us technologically challenged guys. I was just thinking of you yesterday as I posted about having a Cradlepoint CTR35 router. You're the guy who put me onto that and the Rogue Wave Wifi. I love 'em both!!

Hope your health has improved and we see much more of you around these parts! Welcome back, my friend!!

Last edited:
Al, George sent me back to this board he said I would have better results finding other Gulfstar owners (CalTexFla). He was right about that! My health is better Al thanks for asking. I;m back at it again only this time I have the proper platform (a trawler) for my upgrades. I'm glad to hear the CradlePoint router and the ROGUE are working well for you. This boat will be loaded with upgrades when I'm done. I have learned from building the Mainship so I won;t be making some of the mistakes made during the learning curve with Wireless One.
Great to hear from you.
Billylll

I have a Bitstorm bad boy extreme wifi antenna hooked up to their unleashed router. It doesn't seem to have much range or maybe there just aren't many hotspots near me. Is the Rouge any different?

The Wave WiFi operating system is much easier to use. The Bit storm Extreme uses the same device a Ubiquiti Bullet 2HP as the current line up at Wave WiFi (the ROGUE). Sometimes you have to be careful when setting up the small access point router (in your boat) that it's not on the same channel you are trying to connect to as the distant shore based WiFi with the external bridge router (the outside unit). This creates serious issues between the 2 devices. Try changing the channel on the router/AP inside the boat and see if that improves the range to a particular Shore side access point. Try setting it to one extreme or the other either channel 1 or 11. I almost never use a 2.4GHz router/AP to rebroadcast inside my boat. I use an 802.11A/N 5GHz only then there is never any self created interference. But not all devices especially VOIP phones work on the 5GHz 802.11A/N band. Most modern Smartphones, i-PAD's and Laptops will work just fine on the 5GHz 802.11A/N band.
Bill

Well there is a new product line coming out by many of the WiFi repackagers using the N standard. If you choose the N standard make sure you understand that to get true 2X2 MIMO efficiency you need a X polarized dual feed antenna or vertical and horizontal polarization, this means 2 antenna feeds from the N radio to the antenna. It's well worth it in my opinion. A Hybrid combiner could be used with a single antenna but the cost to use this device and the lack of performance support using dual polarity antenna(s) or an N rated outdoor Omni for your boat.
Bill

Didn't link sorry for the wasted post guys and gals

When I 1st started following this boat on YW it was almost 3 years ago. I always felt she was an ugly ducking. It's funny how removing window covers that were faded, repairing the bottom and deciding to paint her anti-foul with black has really changed the look. Now for the next appearance upgrade is removing the 2 5000BTU window AC units. The original glass is going back in the salon aft windows. The new 1.25 ton heat pump only requires a 4" exhaust hole, I will be using a Wireless Sollutions 4" antenna penetration plate to seal the heat pumps exhaust hole and eliminate water ingress. The hole will be between the 2 salon aft windows.
I plan on plumbing the condensate either directly overboard or into my new Johnson shower sump box. This unit has a very high SEER number and only draws 9 amps at 110VAC. I'm thinking it could actually run it off my ProMariner sine wave inverter although I seriously doubt I'll do that.
Bill

Correction to the above post the heat pump requires (2) 4" exhaust ports. I'll place these on the port side of the boat a few feet above the walkway. These new high efficiency units claim to be able to heat all the way down to -20 degrees "F". The current draw is <9amps at 110VAC. I'm not one to try alternative heat and AC units when it comes to a boat. I am making an exception. I'll report the results in the near term it's cooling ability in the longer term it's ability to heat the boat. I will have a few high volume turbo 12 VDC fans to move air around the boat.
This is not a split unit that I was originally looking at. The unit is self contained and is rated to cool and heat up to 900 cubic feet.
The plus is for the next week or so I should be able to work on the boat on the hard in comfort....
Bill

Billy
Are you still in Maryland? I would like to get together before you head out.

I will probably be in Maryland for another 2 weeks.
Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom