Master Model builder Bob Kyle, obit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Master Model Maker, Robert "Bob" Kyle of Captain's Models

A memorial service will be held at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, April 11, at the Cottage Grove Bible Church for Robert Benjamin “Bob” Kyle of Cottage Grove, OR, who died April 4 after a heart attack. He was 68. A reception will follow at the church.

Until a few days ago, I never had occasion to contact Bob Kyle or Captain's Models. His work was pretty much beyond any thing I could afford, but then thanks to an ad right here on TF, I was able to secure one of Bob & Jeff Kyle's creations through an estate sale....an awesome example of a Krogen 36 Manatee that no one knew existed, except perhaps the owners family.

When I tried to reach Captain's Model's by phone, there was no response, only a forward message. Then when I tried the e-mail for Jeff, it was kicked right back to me. There's no way of knowing, but I sure hope the skills learned by sons Jeff and Andy will help the company continue. The are the consummate builder of custom fiberglass replica boats, many of which decorate the Corporate Offices of the best boat builders in the world, including Grand Banks, Krogen, Hinkley, Hatteras, Flemming, and many more. Here are a few examples, including the one I was able to get from the estate notice on TF.

Attachments

• Flemming 55.jpg
    Flemming 55.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Krogen 42.jpg
    Krogen 42.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 243
  • Grand Banks 36.jpg
    Grand Banks 36.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 429
  • Manatee starboard aft.jpg
    Manatee starboard aft.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Bob at work.JPG
    Bob at work.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 124
Bob Kyle build a model of our GB42. He passed away just before he finished it. His sons completed the model about three months later.

Actually Bob died about three years ago. His son Jeff took over and finished what had been started under Bob's keen eye. I haven't had the occasion to talk with Jeff or his brother since.

Edit: Bob Kyle died April 4, 2009.

Last edited:
image-1808378624.jpg
Here's a photo of Mahalo Moi. The photo was captured by Jeff in Cottage Grove, Oregon when I picked up the model.

Thanks for straightening that out, Ray. Strange that the Obit mentioned the date, but not the year. Still, I wonder what is going on with the company. No response as of yet.

I might have Jeff's cell phone number. If I do I'll Call him then PM it to you. Jeff told me his intention was to continue with the business. He and his brother were building most of the models before Bob passed. The quality was impeccable. I started my order in 2008 with about 25 photos of Mahalo Moi from every angle. From those photos they were able to create an exact copy, down to my custom fender rack, stainless handrails, name boards, Bimini, dinghy mounts, etc.

View attachment 18122
Here's a photo of Mahalo Moi. The photo was captured by Jeff in Cottage Grove, Oregon when I picked up the model.
I'd give my I-teeth for a model like that! Like almost everyone on this forum, I'm in love with my little boat and would pay dearly for a model of her in my office. :banghead:

Eye teeth Walt, eye teeth....small, point of order.....sorry...

I don't want to imply that I'm even in the same league, but here's an R/C model of mine; still have some sailing blood in me.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 118
I love well done boat/ship models.

I did a few as a teenager that were so, so. Long lost.

Then I started my magnus opus in the early 1970's: a plank on frame of Cutty Sark. It was coming along nicely after about two years.

I had it to the point that she was fully sparred, but with quite a bit of rigging and finish work to do. I kept it high on a wall shelf with a glass case over it.

The bloody cats went on a major rampage one night and knocked the whole kit and kaboodle off the shelf. Complete, unrepairable disaster.

I have not tried modeling since. Nor have I tolerated cats since.

But there is a local guy whose models are jewels. Here's one of a boat of a former client of mine:

Scheherazade

And for those of you who like excellent models of all sorts, please visit this site:

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_3722.jpg
    IMG_3722.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I'd give my I-teeth for a model like that! Like almost everyone on this forum, I'm in love with my little boat and would pay dearly for a model of her in my office. :banghead:

I have a friend of mine that is a world class model builder. His name is Gary Isaksen. He can hook you up with a model I'm sure. He does incredible work for some incredibly wealthy folks. :p

ISAKSEN SCALE MODEL YACHTS

He's a great guy. The detail that he puts into them is just amazing. I have friends that want models of their Bayliners... until they find out what his cost. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom