View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #12
Pineapple Girl
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Some things others have mentioned

1) fresh water shower on swim step-yes yes yes love having this. Have cold water spigot on the transom now and would love to have a "real" shower with a pull out sprayer and hot and cold water. Not a neccisity by any means but sure is nice to get a rinse there before tracking all over the boat
2) cooking gear- when we went from sail to power we left all the nesting pots and really all our kitchen stuff on the sailboat for our boat partners and we bought all new regular home stuff. For instance, we got a complete set of "Emril" pots and pans and Henkels knives (luckily it was labor day weekend--lots of sales). We still have the complete knife set on board because we use them all but we have pared down the pots and pans to the ones we really use, plus added a nice non stick pan. We have duplicated all our favorite tools from home to the boat. I'd say the only thing we have at home that we don't have on the boat is a food processor. (note I no longer own a mixer or blender )
3) coffee-only my husband drinks it and he has one of those Keurig things. The original one died and he just got a new one that is much smaller but more manual
4) we don't have propane. We are in the process of installing a smooth surface two burner stove and we replaced the oven with a convection microwave.
5) totally agree that I do not want to feel like I am camping. We keep it as much like home as we can.
6) I think quarter sheet pans will fit in the boat oven- 13x9 pans should fit so a cookie sheet a similar size will! on the boat I use a metal 13 x 9 pan instead of a sheet pan. Things that can serve more than one purpose are good on the boat b'c storage is usually limited.
7) We boat in kind of a laid back area and I absolutely wear a bikini even though I don't have a bikini body.
8) I've never used a pressure cooker. Would be interested to hear what Bess thinks of hers. We tend to grill on the boat and the stove is most used for bacon and eggs.
9) color coding--yes very helpful! Keeps us from ending up with, say, all the towels on the boat and all the sheets at home.

It is definitely a process. As I mentioned, we are still fine tuning after two and a half years!
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote