Books about boating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
After the week from hell in Orlando, I'm sitting in the airport looking for something to read on what will undoubtedly be the plane ride from hell.

What books about our lifestyle do you like?

I've read everything Lynn Pardey has written twice. Voyaging under power of course. Fatty wrote a few. Bumfuzzle. What do you recommend?

3 Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome A comedy about 3 guys cruising in a canal boat in Victorian England very funny. Seems it is a free download for Kindle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Men_in_a_Boat

The Empire of Blue Water Francis Drake's voyages in the Caribbean

Cruise of the Snark Jack London

Hemingway's Boat Paul Hendrickson

The Six Frigates Ian Toll

In the Heart of the Sea Nathanial Philbrick

Endurance Alfred Lansing

He did say "our lifestyle", so In the Heart of the Sea is out for me... :D

I'd suggest:
  • The Curve of Time - Wylie Blanchet proves you don't need a fraction of the stuff we think is necessary to cruise.
  • Fishing with John - Edith Iglauer; the newb goes to sea for love.
Both are non-fiction

Voyaging Under Power, Fourth Edition, written by Capt Robert P Beebe, revised by Denis D Umstot.

Not light reading but it's probably the most informative book about long distance cruising I've ever come across.

He did say "our lifestyle", so In the Heart of the Sea is out for me... :D

I'd suggest:
  • The Curve of Time - Wylie Blanchet proves you don't need a fraction of the stuff we think is necessary to cruise.
  • Fishing with John - Edith Iglauer; the newb goes to sea for love.
Both are non-fiction

I was focused on the title of the thread, sorry. Although I think anything on or near the water/boats might possibly apply?

Voyaging Under Power, Fourth Edition, written by Capt Robert P Beebe, revised by Denis D Umstot.

The first edition is less an advertisement for the folks that "revised" the tome , and is perhaps less biased.

Mid Sized Power Boats by D Pascoe is a book to read BEFORE you open your wallet ~!

I second "The Curve of Time" for the same reason Northern Spy mentioned. I have actually given the book as a gift to people to help them better understand why we love this lifestyle...

Over the Edge of the World: Magellan's Terrifying Circumnavigation of the Globe (P.S.)

Sailing Alone Around the World, Joshua Slocum

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom