Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
Hi Bigfish – Welcome to TF

The boat looks pretty good. Just be real careful in all levels of boat and mechanical survey. Test that baby thoroughly during sea trial... show her no mercy – cause once you buy her – you own her and all her ways (i.e. problems or not problems).

I recommend to be sure that you and/or surveyor thoroughly check the stringers as well as around all windows with a good quality moisture meter.

If water reads in stringers... and the stringers are wood cored, rather than close cell foam cored - - > RUN Away! If closed cell foam cored and stringer surfaces show no cross cracks or bastard-cracks on top/sides or peeling/delimitation at junction to hull then even if moisture has wicked into the foam there should be no problem. But... if water wicked into wood cored stringers – please remember to RUN!

To check stringer core material: Get OK from owner and drill a 1/4 inch bit three inches at right angle into stringer's at a few lower side areas - either wood or foam should come out. If the wood is dark and moist/wet - RUN Fast!

That’s just my opinion... take it for what it’s worth!

Best Luck - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote