Marine Trader 34`-Buy in USA, Transport to Thailand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trawler

Vessel Name
Don`t know yet
Vessel Make
Marine Trader
Hello Captain`s.

As first I would like to introduce myself, and say thank oyu for this nice Forum.
My Name is Stephan (in english Stevie) Ricci, living in Zurich, Switzerland.
I have a dream, and even I`m not rich, I would like to make it true, but for this I need some suggestions from Profi Captains who have a Trawler.
I did look around in the Internet, and find out that to buy a Marine Trader Trawler in the USA for example is not that expensive (about 35 to 60tousend USD) like in Europe or elsewhere.

But before I do this, I have some question:
1. I would like to know, how much is the trasport from the USA to Thailand, where I like to based my Trawler and lifeaboard.

2. How much is the cost of Maintenance. And I thought, that even I buy one who is not in perfect condition, I can let restore in Thailand, who is not so expensive.

For any more suggestions I`m open minded, and hope that someone can give me good advice.
Sorry for my english, I hope you can understand.
Attached I have a Pic from a Trawler, that is what I`m looking for.
I still have to save money, but I like to take some information in advance.
This is the kind of Boat I like. Not to big, not to small. (We are only 2 Person, no children)

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1715/marinetrader.jpg

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,
Stevie Ricci, Zurich, Switzeland

Stevie: I priced a delivery of a 36 ft. boat from Hong Kong to either Rostock, Germany or the West Coast USA, and the cost was over $45,000. If you are able to have the transport paid by the company relocating you to Thailand, it would be good to purchase your boat here in the US. Otherwise, both Phucket and Pattaya Thailand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Taiwan have some stock of trawler boats. Lee Marine in Phucket is a prolific importer and broker of cruising boats...both sail and power, including this live-aboard woody below. You may find what you want there, albeit higher priced.

Attachments

• Thai woody.jpg
    Thai woody.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 883
Hi,

thank you very much.The Trawler Style that I like in Thailand are very expensive, because in Thailand you pay 50% of Luxus Tax. Means, if in Switzerland a Car BMW is 50t USD, in Thailand you pay for the same Car 100t USD. I will just lifeaboard in Thailand, the Boat will be registrated in Switzerland or somewhere, so I dont have to pay this Tax.
I saw in Phuket a Grandbanks, but they ask over 400t USD. But I will look again.
Thank you anyway for your kind answer.

Cheers Stevie

There are many places in the world where cruising ends.

Some cross the Atlantic and the boat is for sale at the first island .

Some make it to Panama , so there are cheap boats to be found there.

While the concept of a cheap fix er up trawler is interesting to bring into a low cost labor country , there is still a question of repair supplies and supervision.

Repairing decks , structures and replacing wood framed windows , and replacing iron fuel boxes is labor intensive but some past experience is required .

A more ocean worthy vessel than a TT might be able to motor to your destination , most TT are not in any way blue water ,ocean passage makers, but brown water boats.

I would look wherever voyages end near your destination , and fly in a great surveyor.

Thank you very much.
I did look allready in Thailand, but this style of Trawler I didn`t find there. They have many Boat,, but over my budget.
Maybe someone know an adress form Taiwan?
What about to buy one in USA, and go bymyslef to Thailand?
Is it danger? Possible? What Route?
I think the biggest problem will be the Fuel, if I have a Tank with 200 Gallons, how many miles I can do it?

Is it danger? Possible?

Not possible , dangerous to almost the suicide level with most production TT trawlers.

A passagemaking vessel is required , not a "Trawler" name stuck on an inshore boat.

Doubly so on a fixer upper that may have sat for most of a decade with zero maintance.

Look at a Nordhaven , to get an idea of what is different about an ocean worthy boat.

Ohhh, I did check Nordhavn, but they are out of my budget!

I did check Nordhavn, but they are out of my budget!

The difference in design , construction , scantlings and equippment usually prices a genuine blue water boat 300% higher than a brown water boat.

The build is more difficult so more expensive yards with experience are required.

Sadly many of these good builders also build for the military , where cost is of no concern., and become so inefficient that civilian work becomes impossible.

Last edited:
Thank you Sir for your advice.
So it is correct, a brown water Boat is only for trawel along the coast, a blue water is for fare away, right?
What about with a Trawler like I like on a bit high waves?
Till which level its possible?
I have a Motorboat on the lake of Constanze, Switzerland, and so I don`t have tomuch experience on the sea.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offcoure I know that if the waves are 10 meter high, I cannot go with my Marine Trader, but what about if they are 3 to 5 Meter`s?

Thank you very much for teach me!

Cheers Stephan

What about with a Trawler like I like on a bit high waves? 3 to 5 Meter`s?

Wave height in the ocean is mostly a concern as they build , are steep and will break.

When the top of a large wave slams on deck the entire structure is tested , sometimes for hours on end.

The wave height not breaking after a storm , when the distance between the waves is long , no problem.

Range is also a concern as even 1000 miles wont get far in most oceans , tho along shore its just fine.

Most TT will be as uncomfortable in 4 ft chop as your present boat is , tho size and weight do matter in terms of the speed you can motor at.

I'm not sure many if any of the folks on this board that have been out in 5 meter fresh waves would do it again.

Do you know anyone in Thailand who can help you ask some local boaters there, they may have some suggestions. I believe a few years ago there was a member of this group living in Thailand.

Do you know anyone in Thailand who can help you ask some local boaters there, they may have some suggestions. I believe a few years ago there was a member of this group living in Thailand.

Hi Steve,

I did look around by myself, but that kind of Trawler I like is too expensive there.
In Thailand they have a luxury Tax that is very high. It`s cheaper for me to buy in USA, and maybe I dont go to Thailand anymore.
Maybe I can lifeaboard also in USA somewhere, or North America.
I just Need to find out how much is the living cost in USA.

Cheers from Switzerland,
Stephan Trawler

Maybe I can lifeaboard also in USA somewhere, or North America.

Cost of living is certainly lower in the US than Switzerland - but so are wages!

One thing you do NOT want to do is get part-way through a restoration project. That's the route to losing a largish sum of money AND all your time (folks generally work out that their "labor" on their boat is worth $0-$10/hour). If you are skilled at anything else, you might consider earning money that way first.

It may not be worth importing a small boat from the US to Thailand unless it fits in a sea container. I would look for boats in Langkawi, Malaysia where there is a fairly good selection. This is the end of the line for many Australian adventures, although not so many small trawlers, mainly blue water capable sailboats.

Perhaps a motorsailer like this Nauticat, might interest you?
1987 Nauticat 33 MKII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Back
Top Bottom