Trawler database

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
What I'd love to see on TF is a database of the members boats.

I'm imagining a standard form where the members input their boat details, such as make, age, LOA, LWL, beam, draft, engine type & hours, cruising and top speed, fuel usage, tank sizes, navigation equipment, anchor type, generator, etc.

Maybe include standard photo links to overall boat, hull, rudder, interior, bilge, galley.
Perhaps also the owners #1 likes and dislikes of their boat.

It would be a great tool for researching and comparing different types of boats to buy, rather than scrolling through endless half-truths on for-sale websites. Much of this info is already posted on TF, but it takes a lot of searching to find it. It would be great to see it in one place.

I don't know whether a database format would work in the existing TF setup, or how much work this would involve, but I thought I would ask the question.

Yes I see what you mean. True....that would indeed be a data base. Good idea.

If a separate data base will not work on TF perhaps the information could be put in a person's viewable profile. Not everyone will want to do this, most likely, but a fair number of members might.

Trawler Forum - Members List

The member list above covers some of the data points you desire. The problem with it is the limited amount of data it currently provides is further limited by individual member participation. I agree that a more extensive database is a great idea.

The list is available in the "Community" link in the red bar at the top of the page. Left click your mouse on it and a drop down menu appears. "Members List" is at the bottom of the drop down menu. Left click on it to open.

EDIT: There is also a woefully under utilized album section in that drop down menu.

Last edited:
Out of interest just tried that member list Craig. It is a real pain to use. It is alphabetical, and although one can jump to any particular letter, and each letter has umpteen pages anyway, so finding any specific member is a nightmare. I gave up trying to find myself, so that's an indication of its user friendliness, I guess.

I gave up trying to find myself, so that's an indication of its user friendliness, I guess.
I just did the same thing, Peter. Had the same results too! I do like the idea of a TF data base though.

I'm sure we can do a work around with the current list as I agree it is not user friendly. The demonstration was meant to illustrate how dependent any list would be on user supplied data in their profile. Let's face it, after the majority of folks sign up they seldom update their user profiles.

Craig,

I tried to figure out how to use those albums, but never quite got it, and I work on computers most of the day. The Help was not helpful at all.
Would be nice if someone who really "gets it" could write up a simple step by step short tutorial on how to set up a couple of them.

Thanks.

....Last year I inserted a full album with pictures from Rainha Jannota's construction and I do not know where it is nor how to find it.

I can survive without it.

I'm sure we can do a work around with the current list as I agree it is not user friendly. The demonstration was meant to illustrate how dependent any list would be on user supplied data in their profile. Let's face it, after the majority of folks sign up they seldom update their user profiles.

Maybe the user profile could include an optional "detailed data section" and it would be included in the list only if this is completed. This would eliminate scrolling through pages of blank data.

I miss the simplicity of the photo album on the old forum. True....it wasn't organized, but it was fun to page through. Such a trawler database would be a powerful resource and would make the forum the authority to go to for such info. This is not to say that there is anything wrong with the way it is.....just sayin.

Under the user profile you can up load pictures and provide data if a person wanted to. So maybe the profile is the place for store pictures data. They could use the forum membership to see boats they want to know about they can click on the user name.

We use to go to a lot of boat functions, trawlerfest, boat shows, gather etc where we open up the boat and we had a hand out/flyer that gives specification and a lay out of the boat n a standard 8 X 11 page. We were not always a condo queen. However the pictures up load are too small to read the print. Again maybe use the user profile with a feature to enlarge picture capability. Maybe the capability is there and we do not know how to use it.

Last edited:
Folks just sit tight for a bit on this we are looking at some solutions to meet this request (which is an excellent suggestion).

What about a google maps mash up that would show locations of home ports? This way, we could see who is near us, make contacts, and do group outings if desired. Plus would be great in terms of looking out for each other during foul weather.

Attachments

• image-83344272.jpg
    image-83344272.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 114
Ben: We have such an Ap at Krogen Cruisers. With membership to the ap it will show you where all the other other member Krogens are. Most are joining now. Very handy when looking for buddies nearby or already in anchorages you are headed for.

Hmmm. I now notice that people do not typically have albums in their profiles. I only have a few myself.
....and without re inventing the TF Database, that just might be an excellent place to start!:facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom