View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
End for ending chain - good idea or not

Hi folks, a question for you.* It seems to be conventional wisdom in these parts to switch the chain around once the used end starts to lose its galvanised gloss, so to speak, and I was intending to do that this off season.* Not that we actually have a real off-season over here in Queensland, but the weather cools down and it's nicer doing maintenance during our so-called winter.* However, on reflection, and as the reason I put new chain on when I bought the boat in 2002, 8 yrs ago, was because the chain was so rusty it would no longer feed out properly because the links used to stick together while sitting in the locker and foul the gypsy, so the PO had taken to manually releasing the winch so he could stand there and sort it out as he released it.
That being the case, is it not likely that if one end for ends the chain, putting the more worn half so it is usually sitting in the locker with salty water dropping on it all the time, might this same condition develop?* If so, it sort of makes some sense to leave the half with the better galvanising on it right where it is, does it not.* What experience do others out there have of doing this switch round, and apart from the chain looking nicer, does it make logical sense to do it, or leave well alone?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote