Kinda cool pilothouse trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don whenever I go see Willy I get to look at her.

Yea Marin I knew what you meant before hand but I felt like talk'in.

Yes the house on the old boat looks better further fwd but if we were in 12' seas head on I'd much rather be at the helm in the cabin all the way aft.

Have no particular preference of one version over another. ... Gee, that's a powerful-looking bow. ... Still, the boat needs a real mast (not a stump) for some auxiliary sails which would probably work best with the original (rear pilothouse) version.

I didn't think of that, but it's true. A hulking, unapologetic mast would balance the boat quite a bit, especially with some hefty rigging.

Okay Mark, Here we go (Maybe) I think this boat answered the question regarding a mast for a steading sale or aux sail, plus a large number of pilothouse windows. The size of the pilot house would indicate that time spent there would be major and the accomidations below suitable for at the dock or on the hook. This is in my opinion, one of the finer examples of a good Southeast Alaska trawler.
232323232%7Ffp538%3A8%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B2%3A28669336nu0mrj

Al, surely you're referring to the blue-hulled beauty!

Yep, That be her. I have sent this posting to a mutual boating acquaintance who has recently made acquaintance with the owner. I am asking for an introduction at some point, should the opportunity arise. As a older, more senior than I fellow said and it has been written, "If it looks right it is right". I think this trawler fits the bill.
Regards,
Al

By the way Mark, and not to change the thread subject, just an update to an earlier thread on ballast. As you, Eric, Martin among others, were involved. Just today I placed 750# of lead to the bilge. Brought the boat down 2.5 -three inches on the forward waterline. The boat feels more stable walking about so looking for a "Chunky Day" to see the effect. Now back to the subject at hand.
Regards,
Al

Looks like a Bill Garden design.

Greetings,
Looks like the thread is wearing thin. Happen to be looking at the cover of our tide book. The cover has a wood trawler such as the subject of this thread. It is passenger/freight boat out of Homer, Alaska quite a few hundered miles North of our Alaska town of Ketchikan. How it became a photo for our part of the world is another question. however, I have read of this boat and the history of its operation. You can see that is has a history and has served well. enjoy-
Al Johnson-Ketchikan (Bridge to nowhere) Alaska

D036_534.jpg
D036_533.jpg
D036_532.jpg

Al, here's a better picture.

Attachments

• STH71060 copy.jpg
    STH71060 copy.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
OK, maybe Mark was right about adding a proper mast and rigging. The boat looks more balanced with it, but it might be even better with a telephone pole.

Attachments

• with mast.jpg
    with mast.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Thanks Eric, I knew there was a more detailed photo and now I recall it was yours when you and Mark were trading comments. Is she not a beaut? I received a response from the acquaintance who will arrange a introduction to the owner. A tour of the boat would be a treat, Perhaps photos later.
Al

By the way Eric, in a second look, in the background is a white trawler with green trim.
There was a story on this boat in our newspaper. the owner is wheel chair bound. He had the boat fitted out so that he can operate. Has an elevator, wide doors, low counters and all the fittings that accompany his handy cape. Sure gives a great example of tenacity and the joy of boating!!! Regards,
Al.

Interesting comparison between the original boat and the Alaska boat. The Alaska boat, even though it has the same relative configuration and proportions as the other boat, looks 100 percent better. The reason, in my opinion, is that the pilothouse was designed with an aesthetic eye. The pilothouse on the original boat looks like I made it. Or maybe my dog, who knows how to weld. And made it on a bad day.

By the way Eric, in a second look, in the background is a white trawler with green trim.
There was a story on this boat in our newspaper. the owner is wheel chair bound. He had the boat fitted out so that he can operate. Has an elevator, wide doors, low counters and all the fittings that accompany his handy cape. Sure gives a great example of tenacity and the joy of boating!!! Regards,
Al.

That vessel was built by Sunnfjord for the owner and his invalid wife a number of years ago; Passagemaker had an article on it. It looked to be very well thought out.
It was on the market recently (2-3 years ago?) and unfortunately looked much the worse for wear. Perhaps it has been brought back to life?

Conrad- The current owner is a handicapped male. When the newspaper toured the boat and printed photos, the boat appeared in proper form. However, this winter I noted that there was a tarp spread and tied down on the aft area as though there was or is a leak situation. I have not seen the boat move this fall/winter, and the owner may be South. Remains to be seen this Spring/summer. Yes, now that you give details what you mention was dispatched in the news paper story. Thanks for chiming in.
Al

Conrad- The current owner is a handicapped male. When the newspaper toured the boat and printed photos, the boat appeared in proper form. However, this winter I noted that there was a tarp spread and tied down on the aft area as though there was or is a leak situation. I have not seen the boat move this fall/winter, and the owner may be South. Remains to be seen this Spring/summer. Yes, now that you give details what you mention was dispatched in the news paper story. Thanks for chiming in.
Al

Al, I'm glad to hear that it has gone to another deserving owner. From what I recall from the PMM article it was a very well thought vessel for a handicapped person.

Here is a link to Sunnfjord's description of the vessel.

Special Projects

The FB in post # 21 really looks stupid and it looks very foreign too. Even though I think masts are something we can best do without your mast on post # 42 does give the boat better visual balance. I'd rather see the balance come from other more useful sources. Many boats of this general visual type have less freeboard amidships and a raised bow (that would ruin fwd visibility) but accomplish the visual balance.

The whole boat is too high above the water to suit me though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom